Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Garyp S14a Refresh

Rides
    Subscribed to this, I'm doing something similar but no where as good as you. What number of SikaFlex seam sealer are you using Gary? I googled it but it appears there are quite a number of different ones and just want to make sure I get the correct one.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mcleansc View Post
    Subscribed to this, I'm doing something similar but no where as good as you. What number of SikaFlex seam sealer are you using Gary? I googled it but it appears there are quite a number of different ones and just want to make sure I get the correct one.
    Hello, yes there are a few to choose from.

I have used Sikaflex 221

Hope to see a new thread going up soon then

Rides
    Front end ready for application of a wax to go inside the chassis legs etc. Lots to choose from and I went with Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 as have others on here.

Rides
    The Dynax S50 came supplied with a 2ft long extension and on the end of the pipe is an insert with 4 slots cut round the end. Thread the pipe all the way into the box section, press down on the nozzle and slowly withdraw the pipe.

I got 4x750ml cans and used 1 full can on the area from the front cross member to the engine bulkhead. The car looked like it was bleeding from the holes in the box sections and chassis rails. Glad I covered the floor and the brake discs before I started

Rides
    Never realised there were so many factory holes in the car. I know I pulled a lot of plastic Nissan branded plugs out of the arches and found that most of these holes had various levels of corrosion around them.

I didn't want to refit the plastic plugs as they didn't seal properly. Did not want to leave the holes open either, wanted to replace them with something better.

A quick browse on ebay and ordered this 150 part kit of closed rubber grommets with sizes from 6mm to 25mm.

Rides
    Applied some Sikaflex 221 sealent to each hole before inserting the grommets, that should keep them watertight.

Rides
    Brilliant thread! And great to see an SX being restored rather than turned into a drift slag destined for the scrapper. It would be worthwhile if you could make a list of the products that you used and where you bought them, if you have time. Like the two pack epoxy etc. This is a great thread for future work on my SX but also for the products to use on my 43 year old Triumph GT6. :-) Keep up the great work and the thread! :-)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    Brilliant thread! And great to see an SX being restored rather than turned into a drift slag destined for the scrapper. It would be worthwhile if you could make a list of the products that you used and where you bought them, if you have time. Like the two pack epoxy etc. This is a great thread for future work on my SX but also for the products to use on my 43 year old Triumph GT6. :-) Keep up the great work and the thread! :-)
    Hi Mark and thanks for the comments.

Thats a great idea about the products, Petrol Pete indexed his superb thread and I think he included what he used..

Will edit my original post and make a list too

Rides
    Good work mate, really need to do my box sections before the winter

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyp View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

You know your car at Rockingham and your Youtube vids were the final push I needed that made me realise I wanted another SX
    Haha glad to hear it, you had your mind made up though, mine should be a bit quicker this year, we will see. If it lasts I'll take you a hurl this time

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jj205mi16 View Post
    Haha glad to hear it, you had your mind made up though, mine should be a bit quicker this year, we will see. If it lasts I'll take you a hurl this time
    Brilliant. Book me in for an early ride

Rides
    Arches, sills and chassis legs all painted with Gravitex stone chip and given plenty of time to dry. I had previously painted a bit of mild steel with Gravitex and then over coated with DynaxS50 and left for a month just to check there were no reactions.

Got a good coating of Dynax S50 wax to the new inner sills from the inside of the car as the interior plastic rear 1/4 panel next to the rear seats were already off. The 2ft extension hose that it came with meant I could then easily get to everywhere else that would have been impossible to reach otherwise. Waxed inside of the chassis legs, sills, cross members and any other voids I could find. Sprayed until the wax bled out of the car.

Just to be sure I then bought another 2 cans and did it all again so that's three litres in all

Rides
    Noticed a small pool of water under the radiator so took it off to get pressure tested. Found one little leak that was welded but the following pressure test resulted in numerous tiny leaks that would not be noticed with the rad in position.

Searched ebay and found a number of traders with similar looking item, contacted seller to make sure it was the same as the item pictured and told yes. When it arrived it would fit the car but the two lugs pictured that the cowling and electric fan sit in were not on the rad. Got a refund and ordered from a different seller who checked the item before posting, new rad fitted.

Rides
    Car is now back together and passed the MOT with no advisories

Time to get some miles under my belt and have some fun.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Great news

What brand rad was it in the end?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Great news

What brand rad was it in the end?
    Its an un-branded radiator. There were some numbers stamped on the side of the core but I think its a generic one made in China that different companies package in their own boxes.

Got it from ebay seller RSP based in Sheffield.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Double check that the radiator cap doesn't bottom out when fitted. I had a cheap radiator which wouldn't release pressure due to this and it wasn't ideal.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Double check that the radiator cap doesn't bottom out when fitted. I had a cheap radiator which wouldn't release pressure due to this and it wasn't ideal.
    Thanks for that, will check it tomorrow

Rides
    As suggested by Markcro, have edited the very first post to include all the products I have used and where I got them from