Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The revival of the Nos Kouki!!

Rides

The revival of the Nos Kouki!!

So after meeting a few SXOC members over the last few years and being abused for not being a *member* I've finally decided to get one and get a thread up and running

Sorry for lack of pictures at the start, most went when my old laptop died.

So I guess I should start. Owned multiple 14's in my time. Most noticeably a 1jz conversion that I saw a good few years of drift tournaments before being sold on so I could be a adult and own a house

A year on I got bored of that life and bought another 14a from japan

Clean as F&!K, Low mileage and a really smooth engine.

Now I promised myself and my better halve that I wont be destroying this one........... within the month! It was smashed on the wall of DriftLand. Broken Lights/Arches/ Wheels/FMIC and loads of other expensive bits

Forward on a few months and I finally got it back on the road with a little help from H-Dev. Brought myself a few little gadgets and a Nur Spec R exhaust! (Good god its a thing of beauty) Also tried my hand at some Hydro dipping

Also saw how Bad my car was running!

After speaking with Jez at H-dev about getting more power i went and brought a new Clutch/Turbo/MAF and Injectors so i could sit happy at 362bhp.

Will post more tomorrow..

Rides
    Look forward to seeing more updates!

Rides
    Very clean where did you get the carbon radio and heater control surrounds?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by raygunn View Post
    Very clean where did you get the carbon radio and heater control surrounds?

I hydro dipped it mate. Unfortunately it's not real carbon

You can buy the surrounds online though. Usually a couple of hundred quid though

Rides
    ohh ok - not sure if its the image, my eyes, or the effect being good then, but looks more realistic than most carbon effect stuff I've seen!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by raygunn View Post
    ohh ok - not sure if its the image, my eyes, or the effect being good then, but looks more realistic than most carbon effect stuff I've seen!
    Its generally just a decent hydro film. I went to Wicked Coatings to take a look at a stupid amount of carbon before I brought this and went home to wreck our front room :P

Rides
    So to continue from yesterday.

WOOOO 362BHP!!

Much more fun to drift and drive with this power. Definitely the round about power you'd want as a daily/drifter. Unfortunately after running about 550 in my previous S-body and only running an early 12 at Pod I wasn't happy with the power and sought to improve it in the quickest way possible.

Many long email/phone conversations with Summit Racing & Top speed this arrived.......

Our first ride together and Yes my other half was demoted to the back of the car at this point!

The next month involved a lot of swearing, blood, sweat, tears and whole new Syvecs Ecu but finally it was up and running (Thanks again Top Speed)

Now for my first event with the Nos!!! A strange one at that too. My car club got an invite to the local Brooklands event Double Twelve! Broke the Clutch and the fuel pump going up the hill and going on the test track. As you can tell I wasn't happy with the bloody thing!

So it's off the road AGAIN! Time to break out the polisher!

2 days later and a lot of polish. Not bad for near 20 year old paint.

Fixed the clutch and fuel pump and managed to travel a few hours to a Paul walker event. Got an awesome shoot of my car just before I left.

Went home and started to research forging an SR20!

Rides
    FORGING TIME!!!!!!

Decided to forge the SR as it was too good of an engine to let go. Heard many things throughout my research about forged Sr's having problems. Mainly lifter failure so was sure if I was going to do it, I'd do it properly and so I went full mental and opted for a forged Cosworth kit Pistons Etc/ARP bolts/1.4mm Cosworth steel gasket/ titaniumum retainers/Better water pump/Bigger fuel pump/twin set up.

You get the idea. Pretty much hand over my bank account to the Engineer and pray I can still afford to eat for the next few months.

So with the engine gone I had more time to stay at home........ Online......... On auction sites. Made a friend who imports Japanese parts and brought some new wheels!

Work VS-KF Hyper Chrome 18 x 13jj et0. Only pair in the UK this size or so I was lead to believe.

Next to the 10jj et30 that came on the car. HUGE difference!

Also bought some 30mm Front fenders and some 50mm Rear over fenders from Wayne at Auto Extreme

A 6 Point Cusco cage

A S13 rear tilted number plate holder, A new Kouki Grille as mine fell off somewhere in Epsom and some C2 Defi gauges.

Annnnnd finally some new fronts.

18x10.5jj et0

TIME TO INSTALL IT ALL!!!

Rides
    Way to awesome good luck with the build, show us a movie when you are going to use the NOS?! Car is looking very sick

Rides
    Wow not messing around on this build. I've got a full wizards of nos wet nitrous setup but I'm too afraid to fit it

Rides
    This is only the start. The car its self is a long way pass this part of the build, but I thought to add the whole story as it's abit different from the usual s-body build. They'll be more to come tonight when I have a free moment from you guessed it, My car

Nos is amazing. Even more fun when its attached to a button! for that Fast and furious fan boy style :P. But you will see on here in a few days it isn't without its problems.

The main issue is just getting it set up properly. That and how big of a shot you want. 50 - 75 would be safe. Obviously the nozzles are interchangeable so its just try and test really.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nosgarfield View Post

The main issue is just getting it set up properly. That and how big of a shot you want. 50 - 75 would be safe. Obviously the nozzles are interchangeable so its just try and test really.
    Look forward to seeing the rest. I'm just worried as I'm at 405lbft of torque as it is and don't want to pop the gearbox and from what I've seen the nitrous dumps it's torque in one huge hit!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    Look forward to seeing the rest. I'm just worried as I'm at 405lbft of torque as it is and don't want to pop the gearbox and from what I've seen the nitrous dumps it's torque in one huge hit!
    100% need a new gearbox the moment you hit around 450lbft of torque, and ideally a new diff soon after that. Rebuilt 1jz box is a good shout and easy to source. Or keep your eyes out in japan and grab a race spec box.

Rides
    liking where this build is going looking forward to more updates

Rides
    So stupid bits first...

People moaning that I don't advertise my club with stickers on my car. So took a trip up the road and got a HUGE heartbeat logo to just troll them for abit. (GOD IT WAS UGLY)

And checked out my wheels without the overfenders on....

Seems legal to me

Anyway back to the serious stuff. Installed the front fenders SRB Power fitment is spot on!

While the arches were off I ran some purge lines for the Nos as spraying it directly at my windscreen was a stupid idea!

now they come from the wheel arch!

Bought myself a new Apexi filter and a Engine damper kit as the whole weight of the turbo and downpipe is on the tubular manifold

Also got a sneaky image from my engineer

For the next week nothing really happened. Just waiting for my engine and talking to Jez about remapping options. Really wanted Launch Control but was shot down when I found out just how much work was needed.

FINALLY THE ENGINE IS READY! TO THE WORKSHOP!!! *Batman sound*

I wont waste time with the next part.... Long slow miles running everything in. Many all nighters of nothing but slow 50mph roads while I was being overtaken by corsa's

But after all that I could finally get it mapped.

441bhp without the Nos at 1.2bar. Room for loads more but H-dev didn't want to push the turbo.

Gauge told me I was running rich...... NAAAAAAAAAAAAH running perfectly

But never the less back to Jez! (I might as well camp outside H-Dev at this point).

Turns out in the few weeks after it's remap, the earth on the fuel pump started playing up. EASY FIX!!
    Last edited by nosgarfield; 04-07-2016 at 21:59.

Rides
    Looks a really nice car mate and some nice kit going on and into it

One question though why did you buy a cheap nitrous kit when everything else your fitting is top quality

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    Looks a really nice car mate and some nice kit going on and into it

One question though why did you buy a cheap nitrous kit when everything else your fitting is top quality
    Didn't really think of it as cheap to be honest. Came into the whole Nitrous scene blind and only really knew a few companies in the UK that could help me with it. On their advice and based on what I wanted it for it seemed the better option.

Obviously there was more expensive options but as long as it did what I wanted I was going to be happy lol
    Last edited by nosgarfield; 04-07-2016 at 22:30.

Rides
    More tomorrow!! Bigger turbos and Stupid decisions incoming!

Rides
    I personally wouldn't use that kit if you have lots of money in the engine due to the big lean hits and solenoids sticking open

If I were you I'd keep the bottle and pipe to the solenoids then use a wizards front end kit so solenoids,nozzles and small nylon pipe between them

Rides
    UPDATE! Trying to get through this as quick as possible so I can catch up to what the car is like now.

So after the little problem with the earths I pretty much left it alone for a while. Bought some carbon door sills and changed my dash as the previous owner had a VIP cup holder drilled into it.

Unearthed what could be classed as the worst wiring i've ever seen in a car. Just wires twisted together and taped off So jumped onto that rewired most of my dash!

Also stripped out the rear seats, as no one can fit in them anyway unless you was hugging your steering wheel!

Was looking through some forums on seat ideas etc and stumbled across this beaut! GT3076r

While picking up the turbo I also brought some Sard850 injectors and a 75mm TB.

So back home to install it all and go get it remapped!!!!!

Week later it was pulling 511BHP! incredibly Fast in a car that had SOOOOO much flex But constantly had a smile on my face . New gearbox installed and what was suppose to be a new Diff. Thankfully the last owner had already installed a uprated one so I saved abit of money wooo!

Installed some cheapo buttons for the Nos behind my steering wheel. Nothing to fancy but they did the job and gave me more Fast and Furious Fan boy points! (They weren't wired up at this point)

Pod Time! And the bad decisions start happening! Was running around the early 11s most of the day and really wanted to break that barrier.
    I still had my Nitrous plumbed in and ready but the fuel solenoid had not been Flowed tested since the bigger injectors/earthing problem fixxed so using it was off the cards.

That was acceptable and I wasn't waiting until the next Pod event to get into the 10s maybe even late 9s!!! So myself and a few of my friends who came down with me ran around to everyone we could to see if we could find someone who knew what they were doing with Nitrous. Found a couple of guys who had all the tools to help us out!!!!! They were testing their v8 Volvo with Nos that day so we all trusted them.

Bad decision number 1.
    Should of just waited and got a pro to do it then put it on a dyno after being flow tested to check it was running properly and exhaust temps were not dangerously hot!

But I was impatient and by mid afternoon everything was ready to have a few runs down the track!

On my third run and after getting use to how the car reacted when I used Nitrous I managed a 10.46 @ 128mph on semi slicks. ****ING WOO!!!

With excitement still pumping through my veins me and my friends were shall we say "enjoying" our cars on the way home.

Bad decision number 2.
    PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CAR!!!

Pretty short and sweet here. At about 7pm on a Wednesday night and doing 65 (Obviously). I heard my turbo make a very funny noise a massive bang! and a lot of smoke and flames.

Thankfully I've always kept a fire extinguisher in the car and so at least I managed to sort the fire out. Most of these photos were on my old laptop but I think I have a few on FB so will dig them out later for you guys.