Thread: Rb conversion questions.

Rides

Rb conversion questions.

I've just bought a complete Rb set up to go into my S13.
    This included engine, gearbox, loom, ecu, front crossmember & gearbox mount.
    The engine has a front facing plenum & a Holset topmount turbo.
    I'm going to have a custom manifold made to bring the turbo tighter into the engine.
    My questions are;

Can I use either my ca auto gearbox mount or the Rb mount? I've read somewhere that I can turn my auto ca one around & dremel the holes longer does that sound too obvious?

The debate has gone on before but I'm unsure what engine crossmember to use. I've read the Rb one is good but pushes the engine forward in the bay. This isn't a problem as I'm going to run twin electric fans. I've also read that it raise the engine so I'll have to cut out the webbing. I was hoping that as I've got a front face then this wouldn't be a problem.
    If I used custom engine mounts would that cure it?

If I use the RB crossmember I know I can mount my ca steering rack to it but do I need custom pipework to the power steering pump.
    I have both set ups to hand so I can mix & match if needed.

If I use the Rb crossmember will the engine sump clear the Arb? I've read 2 options of either spacing out the arb brackets to lower it or notching the sump, what is the better option?

Would it be easier to use the Ca crossmember & if so what issues would I have? I've read that it pushes the longer RB lump into the firewall so plumbing in the heater is a problem.
    Would this then push my gearbox mounts out far?
    Sorry for all the questions but I want to try & get as much info as I can before I start.
    If there's anything else I haven't considered please let me know.
    Here's my set up, it's not an RB26 it's an RB Neo.

Rides
    I'm doing the same and so is a mate so I'm subscribed and in for the win. I'm doing it to a manual s13 and I have the r32 crossmember if I buy a fibreglass vented bonnet is there no webbing so no cutting out?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    use the rb25 front subframe and the CA auto gearbox bracket

Rides
    I used the rb crossmember on my conversion, it gives more room for coolant pipes at the rear. If you use the rb gearbox mount you will find two holes line up, you will have to extend it to reach the other fixing holes.

The steering rack pipes I joined using a coupling from a local hydraulics company.

Rides
    I use the r32 front crossmember and my engine is close to firewall but clears easily. I just had a hydraulic hose made for pressure side of the power steering rack to pump. I use the original s13 200sx rack and pump

Rides
    Great info guys thanks. I'm going to trial fit the S13 steering rack to the R33 cross member at the weekend & then off to the shot blaster.
    I'll let you know how things go as progress starts.

Rides
    Here's a couple of pics of my steering rack and my engine how close it is to bulkhead

Rides

Rides

Rides
    Thanks Chris that's great to actually see the information. Out of interest did you have issues with your arb?

Rides
    lenged

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Yea it's too close to sump it's not touching, but still to close so I ordered some spacers I think they were £40, so saves messing yourself anything I can help with just shout

Rides
    Thank you sir. I'm going to be an RB thread stalker so you're going to regret your last statement!
    I actually did a search on you & read your thread.
    Where did you source the manifold or is it a 'wardy' custom job?

Also I trial fitted my S13 steering rack onto the R33 subframe & my pipework from the rack to the pump is a totally different shape to the subframe. Did you bend & beat your pipework to fit?

Rides
    I am really new to the rb swap I am only just ahead of you. I have just had a manifold made by Wardy it should be with me next week. That original manifold wouldn't let me fit the Holset I wanted to use as it touched the rocker covers. My oil return line fits from the rack I fitted new rubber pipe joiners to that exstending the pipe slightly I then took the pressure side pipe to a hydraulic hose maker and got it made 5 inches longer with new ends obviously matching the thread of the originals I think it cost like £15 so really cheap. I may have some spare oil hose for the return side if you want it? Drop me a text on 07546511652 I can send you pictures and so on