Thread: Bulb query

Rides

Bulb query

Hi,
    I'm useless when it comes to electrics but I'm sure someone our there will be able to help!
    Basically I was told that the wattage in my front indicators are too low. They were just the standard 501 t10 5watt capless bulbs. But the lights would always flash too fast I was told to increase the wattage and my problem would be solved...well, it was...kind of but since the only bulbs I could find with the higher wattage were slightly bigger they didn't fit behind the indicator cover!

Ive since tried the 10watt t10 bulbs but the wattage is still too low. Does anyone know if you can get a higher wattage in the t10 bulb or would it be a case of me looking for new front indicators?
    Thanks

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Front and rear indicator bulbs are usually 21W. The flasher relay will be expecting 2x21W plus the 5W side repeater, and the higher electrical resistance resistance in 21W bulbs is how the flasher speed works.

I searched for images of a T10 bulb and saw pictures of what I would call a 501 bulb, normally used for sidelamps.
    This is puzzling.

I've stumbled into TechS13 which is not my comfort zone.
    Is your S13 using the standard lamp clusters and positions, or has something weird happened?

This is what I would call a standard indicator bulb:

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Front and rear indicator bulbs are usually 21W. The flasher relay will be expecting 2x21W plus the 5W side repeater, and the higher electrical resistance resistance in 21W bulbs is how the flasher speed works.

I searched for images of a T10 bulb and saw pictures of what I would call a 501 bulb, normally used for sidelamps.
    This is puzzling.

I've stumbled into TechS13 which is not my comfort zone.
    Is your S13 using the standard lamp clusters and positions, or has something weird happened?

This is what I would call a standard indicator bulb:

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion they are actually indicator lights the previous user attached to the front bumper.

This is the type that are in at the moment - I just don't know if if I can get a higher wattage bulb in that size (or if its just best to buy new indicators!)

Rides
    I'm guessing it's an after market bumper and the previous owner has fitted what we would usually call side repeaters in lieu of proper indicators? Any pics so we can see what we're working with?

My PS had the 501 type bulb in the indicators when I got it, but they were way too dim, so I 'adjusted' the back of the indicator to use a bulb holder from a Focus with a 21w bulb in it.
    Last edited by Bahnstormer; 29-07-2016 at 09:11.

Rides
    Hi,

I don't have any pics at the moment (I will get some though). I tried a higher wattage bulb (921A) which resolved the issue of the lights flashing ridiculously fast, but they were too long and didn't fit in the casing

I have been recommended these: http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/pm-blb094/ so I think I will give them a try! I have spent soooo on bloody bulbs lately!

Rides
    I had the resistance the wrong way round. 10W will have higher resistance than 21W. You can reduce the resistance by wiring a resistor in parallel, giving the electricity two routes to take.
    As said above though, the output will always be dimmer than a proper 21W bulb

Rides
    I had this problem, after I relocated all my wiring and got an aftermarket bumper and lights, I thought it was earth then thought it was my wiring and ultimately found it was the bulb wattage , got 21w wedge type amber indicator lamps...... jobs a goodun.....all working fine now.

Rides
    Thanks for the help

my problem is just finding a bulb like the 501 size but with a 21w (the majority I have seen have only been 5 or 10w)

Rides
    On eBay I got these

Item number -121378148791

Only £3

Bargain to solve the issue

Rides
    I bought them as well....the wattage was fine and solved the electrics problem, but they were too big for the casing so I couldn't use them