Thread: Headlight wiring I have a strange issue

Rides

Headlight wiring I have a strange issue

Can someof you help me out with this issue and this info might be useful to other peeps in future

Can you please write down a detailed description of your headlight wiring as in the bulb not the motor

Mine is playing games and has been for years basically main beam dash light always shows when you twist light stalk to dip and main if you push forward to main the headlights dull but the dash main beam indicator brightens.

If I remove the driver side headlight bulb the dash light works as it should
    If I remove pas side bulb no change

If someone could tell me what colour wires they have each side and in which order the wires are in and what colour they turn in to after the bulb carrier loom plug and also what terminal each wire goes to on the bulb fitting end

Currently I have, on the r/h if the plug button is towards you
    red and dark green+
    Green and blue+
    Pink and black -

L/h
    Red black+
    Green yellow+
    Pink-
    Might put a vid on youtube and to give you a better understanding of my predicament

Please help lol

Rides
    sound like your wheel has rubbed your loom and is ffeding power into main beam circuit.

Rides
    Nope stripped the loom out

Rides
    headlamp,
    pink = earth
    green =dip
    red = main

side/indicator
    red=side lamp
    green= indicator

it should all be in the workshop manual on page EL50 or thereabouts (my memory aint that good)

Rides
    It doesn't have the loom with the bulb plug wire colours I think my wires have been swapped around need to try and get the correct order

Rides
    Are both sides the same?

Rides
    200SX RS13 EL-37
    Headlamp with dim-dip system (aka UK spec)
    RH headlamp
    Earth Pink/black
    Dip Green/Blue
    Main Red/Green
    (both dip and main have green on them)

LH headlamp
    Earth Pink
    Dip Green/white
    Main Red/Black

Page EL-48 Clearance light (except LH for Europe) (aka sidelamps)
    Red/Blue feed from switch pin 12
    Black earth.

Turn signals
    RH Green/Yellow
    LH Green/Black

Rides
    Its a 180 is there much difference in wiring

Rides
    Guy on Nico says there's no difference in headlamp wiring between S13 Silvia, 180SX, 200SX and 240SX. For fixed headlamps there is a subloom on the headlamp that connects to the same 3 pin plug as the popup's H4's.

Rides
    Here is my current situation. This is my findings

Rides
    The bit I circled i think is odd when lights are on dip the top pin on bulb carrier is a neg and the right one is positive then u switch to main and the neg becomes a positive and the right becomes nothing ...that cant be right
    Last edited by xistance1986; 27-09-2016 at 12:38.

Rides
    I had to re-do the headlamp wiring on the PS as a previous owner had butchered the harness to fit some awful HID kit. I'll confirm when I get home, but IIRC the wiring should be something like this:

Assuming you are looking "in" to the car side of the harness, the negative terminal will be the right hand one. Dipped beam should be the top terminal and main should be the left terminal (I think, I might have got that the wrong way around).

Like I said, when I get home I'll confirm and also post up the diagrams and drawings I used, hopefully they'll be of some use.
    Last edited by Bahnstormer; 27-09-2016 at 16:55.

Rides
    Pants, can't find the diagrams that I had . I think they must be on the old laptop I used to have, but I had a look at my wiring and what I described above is correct .

Rides
    Could you tell me how many terminals carry a neg signal as mine seems to carry 2 I'm pretty sure that it should be one with no signal 1 with positive and 1 with neg so I believe my main beam is picking up an extra earth from somewhere

Rides
    Just the right hand terminal is earth on mine. The power for each bulb is switched between by a relay (could be a duff relay causing your issue?). Here's a pic to show how mine is wired:

You can see that the earth from the bulbs both go to the same terminal.

I guess the switch itself could also be at fault?
    Last edited by Bahnstormer; 27-09-2016 at 20:48.

Rides
    Thanks for your input buddy. Can you please check your bulb terminal and see if you have lights on dip if you have one earth one positive and a nothing and then see if the positive signal becomes a nothing signal or a earth when switched between dip and main

Rides
    By "nothing" do you mean it "floats" as in disconnected with the bulb unplugged?

The following assumes the bulbs are unplugged. There are differences between UK cars with dim dip when sidelights are on and other cars that may have option of daytime lights (full dip beam).

Your observations appear to be correct for the dip beam both sides as they are only connected to the switch. The dip beam terminal in the loom socket, with headlamps on and switch set to dip will have 12V, on main beam it will not get power and have no continuity to earth.

On UK car with dim-dip the RH dip beam also goes to pin 9 of dim-dip unit. This has an internal relay that connects it to the LH dip beam.

RH headlamp main beam has the main beam warning lamp in parallel with it. So you will get continuity to ground (1.2w bulb resistance) when the main beam is off and 12V when on.

LH headlamp main beam is connected to the coil of retract relay 4, though a diode at pins 2 and 9 of the timer. With main beam on you get 12v. On dip this will give continuity with +ve probe on loom plug and no continuity with meter reversed (if you have continuity with meter both ways round it means the diode is short circuit).

UK with dim-dip the RH main beam is connected to pin 2 of the timer and LH main beam is only connected to the switch, so will show no continuity when main beam is off.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by xistance1986 View Post
    Thanks for your input buddy. Can you please check your bulb terminal and see if you have lights on dip if you have one earth one positive and a nothing and then see if the positive signal becomes a nothing signal or a earth when switched between dip and main
    If I have high beam on, the earth stays the same but the dipped terminal becomes disconnected. If I have dipped beam on, the earth stays the same and the high terminal becomes disconnected.

Reading Skyshack's post above, I guess that's obviously one of the differences between fixed light and pop up light models, in that there is no connection for the pop up motor (if you were to flash your lights for example). I think that's possibly why a lot of Onevia conversions have the lights permanently raised?
    Last edited by Bahnstormer; 29-09-2016 at 13:09.