Thread: Free Boost?

Rides

Free Boost?

Hey guys,

Quick question for you all, ok a few questions but all relate to the same subject.

Free Boost:
    Now, on some forum somewhere during a frantic Google (Other search engines are available) session I read a post relating to a Free Boost Mod involving swapping a restrictive vac line on the turbo somewhere with a 6mm vac line.

Sorry that's quite vague but it's all I can remember and I can't find the post again.

Does anyone recognise this?

Is it safe to do? What are the implications?

What gains can I expect? If any?

Any easy cheapish/free mods I can do to squeeze a little more power out of my engine? I know this is "the question" everyone hates because proper mods cost money.

The reason this has popped into my head tonight is because I have a free day to spend tinkering with my motor. If not I'll just clean everything and I mean everything!!!

Rides
    Its the FBU, search on here for it. Does indeed mean removing a brass restrictor in one of the lines.

Pros.
    Give a lot of extra power for nowt - 20hp easy.
    Quick to do
    Can revert back to stock.

Cons.
    Its shit
    Boost can get a bit jiggy with it and surge.
    It might boost too high, 15psi or more ..
    Doesnt help lower down.
    Really need to run super or better fuel (well this is true for any uprated power)
    Really should be done with uprated plugs and a pump.
    Its a bit shit.

All in the best thing to do is get a cheep decent blead valve (not the shit kind), a pump, plugs and run 12/13psi for 230 ish hp. Then IC and maybe 14 for 250 and then remap for mega whizz.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Its the FBU, search on here for it. Does indeed mean removing a brass restrictor in one of the lines.

Pros.
    Quick to do

Cons.
    Its shit
    Doesnt help lower down.
    Really need to run super or better fuel (well this is true for any uprated power)
    Its a bit shit.

All in the best thing to do is get a cheep decent blead valve (not the shit kind), a pump, plugs and run 12/13psi for 230 ish hp. Then IC and maybe 14 for 250 and then remap for mega whizz.
    This

Did he mention it was a bit shit?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides

Pros.
    Quick to do

Cons.
    Its shit
    Doesnt help lower down.
    Its a bit shit.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

TBH it doesn't sound like the sort of thing I want to do.

I will go down the boost control avenue and uprate my plugs and fuel pump. I always run super fuels and so did the previous owner.

Rides
    Thing is a decent ball valve n spring controller with a set of plugs and a pump is not a lot of £££s, you will get a decent 230 - 240 easy and relatively safely on that so its a no brainier.
    The fbu does work but its hit and miss, its a bit laggy as well.

Rides
    Thing is a decent ball valve n spring controller with a set of plugs and a pump is not a lot of £££s, you will get a decent 230 - 240 easy and relatively safely on that so its a no brainier.
    The fbu does work but its hit and miss, its a bit laggy as well.
    Well I found a perfect length of hose laying on the floor in my garage, contrary to what I said previously I decided to give the FBU a go.

Currently not suffering any additional lag but definitely picked up a little more power.

Quick question, if I fit a ball and spring boost controller is it advised to replace the original restrictive vac line or leave the FBU there?

Rides
    I just fitted a MBC to a stock as a rock engine set it to 0.85bar and that's how it's been for almost three years. No fuel pump upgrade no Fmic did change sparks and upgraded coils and added a pod filter but other then that I just set it and forgot about it. Any boost upgrades outside OEM has to be done stealth here so it's tucked and tapped up and away out of sight