Thread: Yet another "rattle" vid...

Rides

Yet another "rattle" vid...

My engine has developed a rattle, initially thought it was bottom end upon inspection it appears to be coming from cylinder 4, the engine sat around for nearly 3 years and was fine even had a little bit of mapping and after a few days developed the noise.

It really only is obvious after 3k.

It's also developed a rattle on start up (sounds like extreme VVT) but it's never suffered in the 100k of ownership
    When fitting to my new car (was pulled out of my 14a) it appeared to be fine again no VVT on start up or anything despite being filled with a mineral 10/40. As a result I've now engine flushed and filled with my normal Semi Synth oil in the hope to sort what I think is a sticky lifter...

Opinions please:

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...pszln0oomn.mp4

Cheers.

Rides
    Definitely big ends.

Rides
    Bugger :/

Rides
    Could be worse mate, my mate Matt had his engine rebuilt by muppets at Scholar Engineering. It lasted 8 pulls on the dyno before it shat a lifter and shim...Since going back they want nothing to do with it and except no blame when it's clear they've done it wrong. Good way to waste a few grand.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Could be worse mate, my mate Matt had his engine rebuilt by muppets at Scholar Engineering. It lasted 8 pulls on the dyno before it shat a lifter and shim...Since going back they want nothing to do with it and except no blame when it's clear they've done it wrong. Good way to waste a few grand.
    I bet Matt was seriously pissed :/ he has the Skyline if i recall?

I know it could be worse one of those things..only just got it working and it fails on me lol

Rides
    Listening to that video it doesn't sound quite that bad.you may get away with a new set of shells and just a crank polish buddy.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post

They can't get away with that , Consumer Rights Act of 2015 !

Rides
    If the bearing is away it's likley the Crank is bent, it won't be hard to straighten it but it will need done before any grinding work is done

Rides
    Ok i took the rocker cover off yesterday as the noise is most definitely coming from top end of Cylinder 4, the inlet lobe on 4 has some light scorch markings only on one side.

aside from that it looks pretty clean, so I'm pinning my hopes its something to do with a lifter, I'm going to try and compress the lifter a few times then drop some oil down (not even sure this is possible) in to it see if it cures the noise with everything in situ

can this be done? I'm probably going to use a socket and press down on the spring top hat thingie, after putting 4 into TDC of course does anyone know how much movement there is in a lifter?

and anyone got any other helpful tips?

Edit: plus anyone know if DE & DET spray bars are the same?
    Last edited by Hugh Janus; 14-10-2016 at 10:42.

Rides
    you need to remove the cams to get the lifters out. if youre going to be doing it take your time and lay everything out on a nice clean tray/paper/etc.
    youll be wanting to bleed the lifters, to do so take a cup of clean oil and put one lifter at a time in it. use something thing and strong like a 3mm allen key and put that in the hole in the middle, then pump it several times. youll probably see crap oil come out or air.

you can test the lifters once youve removed them, if you can compress them at all by hand then they need a bleed.

Rides
    I've got a pair of spare DE cams il sell for not much money, pm me if you need them.

Rides
    Last edited by immy21; 18-10-2016 at 13:44. Reason: Didn't see Norfys post

Rides
    Last edited by immy21; 18-10-2016 at 13:44. Reason: Made a mess of this haven't I...

Rides
    i have a set of DE cams myself already

West Country Rep
    Rides
    You don't seem to be having much luck with that car mate

West Country REO

Rides
    i know dude, actually have considered putting it up for sale on numerous occasions
    Last edited by Hugh Janus; 18-10-2016 at 17:43.