Thread: S13 ca18det wont fire ...

Rides

S13 ca18det wont fire ...

Ok so the engine was running fine, as i was driving it just died, tried re-starting and it just cranks, dosent even attempt to fire, i pulled the fuel feed off the rail, and dipped it in a jar and cranked, theres plenty of fuel! Whats the best was to check for spark? Does the body of the coils need to be grounded as well as the ground in the loom?

If i have spark, where should i look next?

It also didnt even try and start at wide open throttle, so i dont believe its an idle control issue, is this assumption correct?

Lastly, i have some minor play in my rear wheel bearings, do i definitely need new bearings or could the big driveshaft nut be loose?

Other than that im enjoying s13 ownership!

Cheers chaps!

Rides
    Remove 1 x coilpack then 1 sparkplug.
    Put the plug in the coilpack

Then rest against the cylinder head so metal part of the plug is touching bare metal of cylinder head.

Get a mate to turn the key and watch for spark! Dont hold or touch plug whilst key is being turned you will get a shock.

Rear wheel bearing- if there is movement in the hub/wheel then the bearing needs replacing. The big nut holds the shaft in it doesn't hold the hub!

Is the bearing whining?

Rides
    Thanks bud, i will do, i just wasnt sure if the body needed earthing as well as one of the inputs bieng an earth, will update tommorrow.

And okay, thanks bud, no the bearings arent loud, but there are alot of rosejoints so the cars pretty loud inside. I know some wheel bearings have some float untill they are nipped up with a driveshaft or stub axle, but i guess these are tight either way. Ill have to keep an eye out for some!

If i have spark, what should i ne looking at next? Spark strength and timing?

Rides
    If you have spark or if you dont i would mark cas position then remove it and inspect the splines on the end of the cam and the cas and make sure the D - locator is still in place in the cam.

Although i wouldnt expect timing to cause it to suddenly die.

Have you done an ecu diagnostic test? Their is a guide in the 'useful threads' at the top of tech s13

Rides
    No, ive not, ill go have a look now buddy, cheers!