Thread: Sr20 det idle issue

Rides

Sr20 det idle issue

Hi guys im in the process of finishing my s14a i bought it as a project and it was 80% complete . Basically when i started the car it woukd be at high idle then after 3-4 mins it would start hunting between 1000-4000 revs i have done the following checked for boost leaks , cleaned maf tps and iac valve i have adjusted the tps sensor by ear to see if that help and it idled higher , i have unplugged iac valve and it made no difrence , unplugged maff and it idled high again , i then went on and turned the screw all the way in on idle control valve and it lowered it to a steady 2200 revs no more hunting but i cant getnit no lower any help would be good im so confused and have no more ideas iv also tried other things today i gave it full service , emptied all the fuel and put new in it checked pipes again the only 1 thing to say is where the fuel pressure regulator is theres a pipe that goes from it a vac pipe to the inlet , but theres also another pipe teed of from this is that normal? It runs to the bulk head under inlet manifold and doesnt plug into nuffin i have put a bolt in it to stop it sucking

Rides
    SO i done a test on the tps sensor today the results seem ok closed throttle was 0.42 open throttle was fluctuating quite alot from 4.4-4.7 and the live feed was 5.11 are these ok ? Car still ideling high though timing is 15 degrees garage told me when they checked it

Rides
    ?

Rides
    Does it run when you unplug the MAF?
    If so, unplug it, then run the engine without the induction pipe connected to the Throttle body, Then completely block the throttle body with your hand. The engine should stall (As you've Starved it of air) If it still runs then you have an air leak around the intake manifold somewhere. You should also be able to hear where its sucking it in too.

Rides
    Ok will give that a try i no it does run with maf disconnected

Rides
    Tried it and it stalled and sucked my hand like mad lol ��

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedixons14a View Post
    Tried it and it stalled and sucked my hand like mad lol ��
    Ok, that kind of narrows it down to your throttle plate being open too far. Is the cold start mechanism stuck open?

Rides
    The throttle plate /wheel on side of inlet wont go back any more the screw to adjust it is not even touching it ( cold start mechanism?). Do you mean idle control valve as iv screwed it all the way in to bring revs down as mich as possible

Rides
    Change the fuel pressure regulator pipe for a plain bit to eliminate the teed part. Check there are no vac pipes open anywhere. People tee off the fuel pressure pipe as a boost gauge source but its not good practice. Maybe the teed off one is plumbed in before the throttle plate confusing the ecu/upsetting the idle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedixons14a View Post
    The throttle plate /wheel on side of inlet wont go back any more the screw to adjust it is not even touching it ( cold start mechanism?). Do you mean idle control valve as iv screwed it all the way in to bring revs down as mich as possible
    She screw wont touch utill the water tenp is up and the cold idle throttle wheel has rotated via the wax stat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Iv already put a bung in the pipe thats teed but i could try and put a straight non teed piece on it where is the cold start mechanism ?

Rides
    The cold start mechanism is this part, There is a small amount of adjustment on this too (bottom right of the red ring) But it may be Seized/jammed open so could be permanently holding the throttle plate open too far.

Rides
    Ok il try adjust it if not will i have to change the whole throttle body im guessing ?

Rides
    Its weird as it was fine then stored for 2 years then the problem started iv done the obvious service , drained fuel , checked for air leaks etc

Rides
    So i adjusted that screw below throttle plate and the idle came down alot iv wound it nearnly all the way in now the tps sensor is saying .18 so that will need to be adjusted my car is still idling at 1800 but i think my rev counter is hammered i re soldered it all and when i have ignition on but car not started my rev counter sits at 900 is this correct ? I think its reading 900 above what its ment to ?
    Last edited by shanedixons14a; 04-12-2016 at 13:50.