Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new (ish) Nissan 200sx

Rides
    thought i'd update this

so i got the CA working and had it driving for 1 day. then it broke. not sure what to do next

Rides
    Fix it again.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Fix it again.
    i've taken it off the road now and got a refund on the insurance (no longer eating used ciggys i find on the street to survive) so at the moment what I'm thinking of doing between now and a years time is building a forged CA and avoiding any bodges this time round. try and make the car as reliable as possible even if it takes several thousands to do so. will also make the insurance cheaper with another years no claims as it was stupidly expensive as i'm pretty young

Rides
    mods, would you be able to move this to the members projects section please? it'll be turning into a build thread soon.

right, quick update.

so i got the car running, took it out for a few hours and it managed to blow every possible gasket (guessing from being sat for ages the gaskets had warped or something). Then i realised it had developed a leak from between the gearbox and back of the engine, and i think it's the crank seal/ oil pump gasket - both ballaches of a job to fix in situ.

next course of action is to get the engine out, and i decided to take the car off the road for the time being. I've decided what i want to do is build the engine from scratch, with some nice forged pistons and a bigger turbo, standalone management etc.
    currently in the planning phase so nothing is solid just yet but it doesn't make sense to me to keep working on a relatively high mileage engine as it's not going to last very long before something else breaks, and i want to do it properly and cleanly.

so yeh there probably won't be much else i post in the next few months as i'll be saving for the parts with my rubbish apprentice wages lol.

Rides
    ~tumbleweed rolls~

last thing i did was install the 180sx type x seats into my car and stored away the old velour grandad spec seats.

need to get the engine out soon. but it's currently facing the wrong way on our driveway which means i'm going to have to try and turn it round somehow lol.

plans for the car besides building the engine are;

-weld up and smooth tailgate/ buy one that's already been done.
    -buy a rare kit from japan, which i might do before the engine?
    -sort out the ****y subframe bushes and replace all that stuff, need to replace all the bolts and everything as some are a bit rounded...
    -might see if i can get my strut towers welded as they're a bit rusty
    -fix interior speakers/replace with some good ones
    -replace tailgate struts
    -fabricate a good battery tray
    -wire in a battery cut off switch and sort out the shitty wiring that had been done on it
    -get a nice head unit installed and put gauges in the a-pillar or on top of the dash
    -replace side windows for 180 ones
    -get the wheels resprayed body colour and either get the lips refurbed or find wider ones.. going to be difficult as i've literally only seen 2 other sets of these wheels for sale and mine were the widest...
    -wake up and realise it was all just a dream.. and that i didn't buy this car in the first place and proceed to become attached to it and spend too much money on it to sell the darn thing

tl/dr; not much has happened, i'm just saving up for the engine build and other parts which are expensive, and when i've got the money it'll probably all kick off at once.

edit:

in all honesty, although i do slag this car off a lot, i absolutely love it, and i cannot wait to get it on the road again. i'm not setting myself a deadline with it, and i'm going to get everything done to the highest possible standard. I've just finished my apprenticeship which should give me some more money to put into it, and hopefully it'll all pay off when i can drive it again the 2 hours i had driving it before it broke were amazing, and it feels like no other car to drive.
    Last edited by harper; 22-06-2017 at 22:18.

Rides
    Should you need poly rear subframe bushes I have a set of used ones for 35 posted to you.

Rides
    I love the look of this

Rides
    You got a lot of work planned mate best thing to do speaking from my own mistakes is do the horrible dirty jobs first do all under the car first welding bushs and so on if you have an exspensive kit fitted or even in storage the chances are you will probably damage it doing those jobs. Engine can come out and get yourself an engine stand and some work benchs and lay everything out clean it and inspect and measure do one job at a time and do it right and do it once. Just my input like and hopefully it saves you some money and time

Rides
    Where abouts in Oxfordshire are you, could probably lend a hand if you need it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Where abouts in Oxfordshire are you, could probably lend a hand if you need it
    Near Abingdon mate, shoot me a PM!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chris shrewsbury View Post
    You got a lot of work planned mate best thing to do speaking from my own mistakes is do the horrible dirty jobs first do all under the car first welding bushs and so on if you have an exspensive kit fitted or even in storage the chances are you will probably damage it doing those jobs. Engine can come out and get yourself an engine stand and some work benchs and lay everything out clean it and inspect and measure do one job at a time and do it right and do it once. Just my input like and hopefully it saves you some money and time
    Cheers makes sense to do it all in that order!

Rides
    I've decided I'm going a different route with this car. I'm going to swap in an sr20de and eventually put it on ITBs and some aggressive cams, ECU etc.

thinking about it I want to be able to drive this thing on the roads, and I don't think it needs loads of power. So there's no point building a strokered ca18 which will rarely get used to it's full potential and will cost a hell of a lot more than a nice sr20de set up!

will post more when i'm getting the CA out and prepping stuff for the de!

Rides
    sorted a deposit on an sr20de from a spec s s15, will be putting it in in a few months time.

will be buying a lightweight flywheel and clutch to begin with and maybe new engine mounts? not sure yet.

for my own reference the ticklist for the swap is

engine
    loom
    bellhousing - got this
    ecu
    radiator - getting this
    coolant overflow tank - need a replacement one lol
    flywheel
    clutch
    clutch bits

for the future
    link ecu - probably a plug in or maybe a standalone
    pulsar throttle bodies
    some nice lumpy cams
    bigger injectors
    baffled/dry sump

jobs:
    repair bootlid as it has holes in it
    repair around fmic cutouts - no longer need em and they look like theyve been done by harvey price with a pair of tinsnips
    weld up the front crash bar or sand down and primer as theres some rusty bits there
    get the rear quarter windows fitted
    do a massive skid round the entire oxford ring road

Rides
    Harvey price with a pair of tinsnips ������ your a cnut ������

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Harvey price with a pair of tinsnips ������ your a cnut ������
    is Stevie wonder any better?

Rides
    Looks a bit different now, put a piggy bumper and lip on and gave it a spray. Also, 90s style tail lights

Just need to put the sr20de in now then I'll look at getting a high ratio diff, some adjustable arms for the rear and some sideskirts. Coming up to Christmas so I'm broke as **** now lol

Will be painting the bootlid red when it's been repaired and I'm making a number plate bracket up

Rides
    Pig nose for the win! Looks good hopefully you can get driving it soon haha, like the 90's styled lights dont know if id run them tho haha

Rides
    Bit of an update, been working on the car loads recently.

Put the sr20de in, fabbing up a pas bracket by using a CA bracket and pump and modifying the bracket to space it from the block and push it out slightly. Had to make up some heater pipes for it as well probably won't stay like the way they are but hopefully it'll work for the time being

Got an exhaust for it now but want to modify it to have shotguns on the back so will do that at some point.

Loom is being done atm so once that's done I'll fire it up and drive it!!! For the first time in years lol. I love this DE it's so easy to work on! So much room around everything to work on so if something goes wrong it won't take long to fix. Gonna try and daily the car for a bit so need to plan my journeys around speedbumps

Rides
    What you doing with the dead CA?

Rides
    It runs!!

Sorted fan shroud for it and bled coolant, doing power steering setup now and then it's all good to go exhaust needs a bit of tweaking but I have a mate that can sort it for me.

Still need to do tailgate as it's got loads of holes in it and the side windows. Will lower it again when it's all done.

Had to plug this little bastard hose as it was running rough due to a vacuum leak, this is the one that goes to a charcoal canister which I've deleted (less crap to go wrong etc) shouldn't affect running, hopefully.