Thread: Does oil have an age-related life?

Rides

Does oil have an age-related life?

I changed my oil and filter with good quality (Gulf Competition) oil back in Jul 14. I then used the car for about 1300 miles but owing to work on the car and in the real world it has not been run for more than a few minutes since Dec 14.

Obviously the oil and filter do not need changing in terms of mileage, but will the fact that it's sat for 2.5 years unsused have any detrimental effect?

Perhaps one for the Opie guru if he's still out there in the ether?

Cheers,
    -Dave

Rides
    I was always told every year or 10,000 miles for most cars whichever comes first. My 200 I do every 6 months or 3000 miles which ever comes first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Personally I don't leave oil changes longer than one year.
    Before now I have been told by a well respected BMW mechanic that oil does have a shelf life once used of 12 months but some people say otherwise. As you say I'm sure there's a guru on here who can shed a bit more light on the subject. Hope this is of help.
    Dan

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rides
    The additives evaporate/deteriorate from age and atmosphere once opened

Rides
    Oil change it is then! I was going to err on the side of caution, only the thought that oil probably sits in its containers for a long while caused me to hesitate.

Rides
    That's in an air tight sealed container not an open engine

Rides
    I realise that. Hence I am going to change the oil.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    you would shake a bottle of oil up before you poured it in your engine.

extra oil changes can never be a bad thing. annoys me that my nice clean oil mixes with the remains of the minging old oil when I do a service.

Rides
    When I first bought my car I did like 3 oil changes in a couple of weeks with cheap shit oil then I put good stuff in and when I change it out on a service it's almost clean after being in the engine when I took the rocker cover off to do the RAS it was so clean in there with no sludge at all

Rides
    It will also have condensation in it from sitting. This will burn off but I would just drop it as its not worth the risk

Rides
    Yes old oil has a shelf life as said condensation etc gets in it but its actually unhealthy top change your oil to regularly too. The carbon that build up in your engine and this turns your oil black also has lubrication. Trucks go 100k between services (sometimes more) and as a rule their engines last much longer than a car one. I have a 64 plate truck infront of me with over 350k on the clock as proof

Rides
    Presumably none of those miles were done at seven and a half thousand RPM though?

I do agree with you on the salient point though. Over zealous oil changing is just a con.

Rides
    I asked the same question on the opie traders thread recently. See the response there. I was told that although viscosity etc is fine the additives no longer work. So 3-6k miles or 1year. Whatever comes first. I am going to do an oil change today.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Presumably none of those miles were done at seven and a half thousand RPM though?

I do agree with you on the salient point though. Over zealous oil changing is just a con.
    True usually 3k max normally around 1500-2k rpm... but when fully loaded carrying 45 tonne the load on the engine at the lower rpms is still significantly higher than a few seconds at the limiter.

Bar the drifters obviously... with engines getting abused like that i believe that regular changes are a must. More so just to keep an eye on internal condition.