Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potentially a New 200SX Owner!

Rides

Potentially a New 200SX Owner!

Hello everyone!

My name is Tyrone, or preferably Ty, I currently own a 97 Honda Civic Coupe [please don't kill me!] which has a 1.6L Single Cam lump in it which I have spent the past 2 years building. Its running 280WHP with 260 ft/lbs with the help of a lovely T3 Garret 50 Trim.

I am in the motions however of buying my mates 200SX, S14A.

Its Black [not sure on the colour code], its also a UK Spec 14, the car also has 125,000 miles on it with a FSH up to 98k.

From what I have gathered through the previous owner before my friend is that a lady had it for 14 years, then a guy called Majid had it for around 8 months doing all the light mods, Majid's friend Nath had it for about 6 months [he's a trader] and my mate Josh has had it for about a week!

I rang up Nath and quizzed him on the car and it hasn't been drifted and I basically questioned him in regards to the modifications done and he said that his friend is the one that done them all.

Mods are as follows:

Rota GTR Wheels 18s
    Tein Coilovers
    Rear Bumper [Unsure on Brand]
    Side Skirts [Unsure on Brand]
    Some form of exhaust system which has had all boxes cut out.
    FMIC + Piping [Unsure on Brand]
    TurboSmart Manual Boost Controller
    BOV [Unsure on Brand]
    Steering Wheel & Hub [Fake Nardi on Unknown Boss]
    Double Din Radio
    Rockford Speakers all round

Other than that it hasn't been touched.

I was under the car at the weekend poking and prodding and had a magnet and it all seems to be pretty solid aside from the Battery Tray which has visible rust and also the rear Jacking points look like they could do with being replaced which is why I have joined the forum so early as I would like to have the car looked at by someone who knows these cars!

I am based in Romford in Essex but I'm not sure if the car will be stored or if I will be driving it.

Any help would be awesome!

I have no pictures as of yet because my mate wants to keep it hush because a few of my other mates have said they also want to buy it off him!
    Last edited by tye21; 08-02-2017 at 15:52.

Rides
    you would be better off posting in the ESSEX section as they will know the local 'go to' guys..

Rides
    Apologies mate!

Just following Forum rules is all, seeing as I'm new I don't want to annoy anyone.

I will try and find the section

Thank you!

Rides
    Welcome Ty

No need to be worried about the Civic, a lot of us have owned them at one stage (myself included lol), and yours sounds like a proper weapon.

Battery tray always rusts on Jap stuff, not just the 200, and is a handy job to replace. Sills & rear arches get the worst rot on 14s so have a good look around. Anything can be repaired within reason but the less repairs you have to do for MOT the better really.

What's your plans for the car after that? Looking at the mods above the first thing on my list would be a chip & a remap if it hasn't got one already, then brakes as the stock 200 ones are not the best once you start upping power.

Rides
    Hello mate!

Well all I have known for the past 4 years is Honda's so moving on to something that is from factory a turbo is, I would say new in a sense, but since turbo'ing mine I understand the principles a lot more

As for the battery try I have seen it on a few car where it goes but Im hoping it hasn't rotted into the chassis rail because I really can't be bothered cutting and welding ahaha.

As for the rear arches, they seem fine aside from a really small patch which looks like its eaten away at the outer [if you are looking at it from underneath the car it will be the one in your face] skin. But its are the back of the rear quarter if this makes sense?

Other than that it's just the 2 rear jacking points

Car is running a Stage 1A Horsham Chip, so it has the uprated Fuel Pump [unsure on brand] already in there along with a few breather mods.

My plans personally, make it sit pretty and enjoy it.

But I want to kill of any niggly issues now and save money down the line.

Rides
    welcome to the club mate S14a's in black are the best

Rides
    Is this a bias'd review dude? aha

Rides
    Wttc

Kuro black, KH3 I believe is the paint code. Both of mine were kuro, its definitely the best colour

There is plenty of local knowledge for you, there is a monthly meet at a pub just outside Shitsea as well as various weekend breakfast meet ups. You're more likely to find the local gurus there.

As Clint says - rust. Rust and then big ends, then VVT rattle

You'll get used to hearing BOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK KKKKK

Rides
    Thanks MEL!

Kuro Black, I will have to keep that in mind as the car did have a full body kit, but it was cracked by the previous owner so I aim to give it a bumper again [it currently has a stock one but it needs painting]

Do you know when they do the monthlys? Like a date or specific day?

As for the rust so far its literally those 4 areas

VVT it doesn't seem to have any which is good, eve on cold start up. I know being chain driven means it never needs replacing, unlike a belt, but if VVT rattle kicks in, does this indicate the chain needs changing?

I'm praying Big Ends keep them selves in there, I cant be dealing with another engine rebuild haha

Rides
    Have a browse bud - http://sxoc.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?48-Essex-amp-Kent

VVT rattle normally suggests the sprocket needs changing but a decent service/maintenance will prolong things

Rides
    Thanks buddy!

I have asked to join the SXOC Kent & Essex group too!

I spoke with Garage-D earlier and they are estimating £300 for each jacking point! Not sure if that's reasonable or ridiculously high?

I will be doing a full service on it as well. For peace of mind.

Also plan to attended the 4th Feb Breakfast meet

Rides
    Welcome

With it being a uk spec and that mileage I'd suspect some rust, not to shit on your parade?! But rather somebody go in to it eyes wide open, than be disappointed after. Mines uk spec and I thought I was safe, but ended up having both rear sills, both boomerang mounts and a bit of floor pan done on my last mot! The previous owner slapped underseal on to hide it and then obviously after a while it ate through lol

Also if outer sills are gone it normally means inner sills are gone too, if you have a search about on here you'll find so many threads relating to the sills and people's ways of repairing etc. Also how difficult it is to find replacement sill sections.

As a reference for the cost on yours I supplied the new sill sections and boomerang mounts and got the welding done for £150, so in total cost me about £300 for both sides (not the most amazing welding, but passed mot and is covered with skirts. Wasn't too bothered as mines a drift car!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Welcome to SXOC.

As said above, we are talking old Japanese cars now and rust has been an issue for at least the last 5 years even on the newest of the chassis' out there.

Just like Honda had an issue with rear arches of the era of your car, Nissan had issues with sills, suspension turrets and rear arches (but at least outside in rather than inside out like the Honda, generally).

Good luck with it, if you do decide to buy.

Rides
    Thank you for the comments gents, I have actually provisionally bought the car I am just waiting on some funds to clear!

As for the rust I wasn't expecting a minter! My old Civic [before this one] unfortunately had the rear inner arch rot out on both sides. Was killer to have to get rid of her!

But I have got another quote from my mate [who I am buying it from] his mate does Accident & Repair and he has said £200 to do both sides! But I will be going down there and talking to him. He has actually seen the car as my mate took it down to him, so he is aware of what is to come!

I will check to see if the "boomerang mounts" as you've called them kingk either need replacing or if its an attack of the wire wheels and hammerite

Rides
    Good luck hope it goes your way. I am so so lucky not to have to worry about rust like you guys do in the UK. Killed my Mkiii supra when I lived there. The killers here are paint fade and cracked dashes and roos. Just a bit of damage from a kangaroo that smashed my lights to bits and cracked my bumper on my MY95 Zenki so pissed. Had it four years and the worse thing that's happened touch wood is the radiator shit it self.

Rides
    Welcome dude !

Rides
    wttc

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by auz200sx View Post
    Good luck hope it goes your way. I am so so lucky not to have to worry about rust like you guys do in the UK. Killed my Mkiii supra when I lived there. The killers here are paint fade and cracked dashes and roos. Just a bit of damage from a kangaroo that smashed my lights to bits and cracked my bumper on my MY95 Zenki so pissed. Had it four years and the worse thing that's happened touch wood is the radiator shit it self.
    Any more space down under? haha.

I dont think I could cope, have THE biggest phobia of snakes! That and the MOT rules out there are proper strict aint they?

Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    Welcome dude !
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
    wttc
    Thank you! Where in Essex are you from?

Rides
    Yeah snakes a lethal 21 of the 25 most dangerous are in my back yard. Right now!!! That and bush fires that have enough energy they actually create there own weather front and become self sustainable then you got the floods oh don't for get the spiders pretty much half the animal kingdom that wants to eat you. Yeah stay away it's for your own good, nothing to see here. No paradise

MOT haha what MOT? We don't have an MOT. What we do have are some dumb arse ego hungry coppers that have absolutely no idea about the ADR and will defect you for the tiniest little thing. Surface rust for example. The officer only has to have a suspision that it's structural and it is down to you to prove otherwise by normally ways of an engineers report from a place nominated by them ie regency. This can cost thousands of dollars and thats if they don't pick anything else up while they go over the car. I've know and seen brand new cars roll out of the dealership get pulled over and sent to the pits (slang) because although the ADR says it's ok and compliant Mr No it all copper thinks he knows better and defects it for being to low. You can literally be defected for having the wrong colour car on the day. But yeah no MOT no road tax and no compulsory insurance as long as car is registered. But Rego costs about $145 Incs tpi a 1/4. You can skip any 1/4 you like as long as you don't drive your car in that 1/4.
    Last edited by auz200sx; 26-01-2017 at 10:40.

Rides
    That sounds pretty decent!

All aside from the aggy Coppers, is this why cars there are expensive? because you don't have the typical Emissions Tax [Road Tax to me and you] and MOTs?