Thread: S14a Issues

Rides

S14a Issues

Hello everyone, I have just bought myself my first ever s14a. Car is running 303hp and has lots of toys, paid 5k with 80k miles and no rust. First issue is the car seems to be absolutely horrendous on fuel, like my old type r used to average 18 and I was fine with that, but I drove this home from Aberdeen last night and I had to full it up 4 times to do 230 miles, surely that can't be right when I was sat at 60 the whole way back due to rain!? Second issue is that the car struggles to start without giving it a few revs and holding it there and also cuts out when you come to junctions and the revs are always hunting and the cars always trying to stall. Any ideas would be great as ibe had a look around and can't seem to find much. Im also not used to all these abbreviations that everyone seems to use I need things a little bit simpler haha! Many thanks, James Curry

Rides
    Boost leak for fuel conpsumption, my S14 with approx 340bhp would give 28-30mpg on a run. and well over 250miles per tank

boost leak for hunting and stalling.

so i think it safe to assume you have a boost leak.

what mods are on the car?

Rides
    How do I go about finding a boost leak? I'm new to turbo cars I've had hondas for years so no turbos there, and honestly I don't even know what the cars had done to it, previous owner was a right creep and knew absolutely nothing about the car, I just saw the apexi power fc and all these expensive things and bought the car, has receipts for quite a few nice mods. Has t28r turbo from what I can see, stage 2 Horsham developments map with printout and lots of other little things.

Rides
    take it to a local (reputable) tuning place they should be able to perform a leak test, that should cure the fuel consumption and stalling and probably make it feel faster too

however
    whilst there get them to check AFR's as a T28R on a Power FC with a Horsham Stage2 map doesn't sound right (HDev maps are usually plug in boards for the standard ECU...BUT PowerFC replaces the standard ECU and would require its own mapping but its unlikely someone would use a PowerFC with a 28R in my opinion)..until that point i would strongly recommend to take it easy so you can find out exactly whats going on with it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescurryy View Post
    Im also not used to all these abbreviations that everyone seems to use I need things a little bit simpler
    just seen this; AFR is Air Fuel Ratio

Rides
    I have an afr gauge and tbh it's all over the place, it's reading about 10.1 on idle but sometimes just jumps everywhere

Rides
    Reading 10.1 on idle means it's overfuellinh like a mofo...again a boost leak will do this.

My afr on idle are usually around 14.5 give or take
    Last edited by Hugh Janus; 09-02-2017 at 14:45.

Rides
    Took it out for a quick spin today and now it sounds like the bottom end has gone. Absolutely lost on what to do now, saved for months to get this car and now it's completely useless. Wouldn't even know where to start with fixing it

Rides
    ok before you get carried away.

sure its not VVT rattle (pretty common on the SR) as opposed to BE rattle?

get a vid of the rattle if you can.

Rides
    Its definitely a knock because it's only apparent when you rev it and it gets quicker as the rpm increases, most likely had a lot of bore wash caused by the huge amount of fuel going into the engine

Rides
    I would suggest not to let the motor run any second longer and take it to a professional! The overfueling could cause your oil to thin out too much which may be the reason why it's knocking. I sure hope that's not your issue..., but its deffo overfueling like crazy. Idle you should be seeing between 14-15.
    Last edited by speedingmofa; 08-02-2017 at 15:39.

Rides
    Not really any professionals around where I live, not sure I trust taking it to a normal garage

Rides
    Your fuelling is screwed it should be 14.5:1 ish at idle and nowhere nr 10 so its defo a boost leak by the sound of it.

Best thing to do about the engine is check the top end, buy one those cheap small camera's off ebay and see what state the cams are in through the oil filler cap. If the lobes are chewed or heavily worn its a far bet the bottom end has issues.

Maybe also worth posting up in your local areas club bit on here to see if someone can round for a look

Rides
    https://youtu.be/2SZ7nOkLrrc

There's a YouTube link to the sound it's making

Rides
    Oh dear mate I feel for you exact same happened to me only I spent £3000 at the time, it's defo the bottom end most likely span its shells too , don't run it any more . Check you cam lobes for scoring too it's gonna be a strip down and rebuild or a second hand engine. I got a second hand engine from a place called dewesbury auto salvage . With only 38000 miles on it.
    £940 iirc .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk