Thread: Godspeed light weight alloy ARBs issue?

Rides

Godspeed light weight alloy ARBs issue?

Going back about 7 years here there was a group buy on light weight alloy Godspeed anti-roll bars. And so I got the pair. Great jobs. Totally transformed the car and they were so light! Lighter that the standard ARBs. You could twirl one around in one hand they were that light.

But the front one must have fatigued and snapped the other week. has anyone seen this before?
    Anyway I wanted to replace like with like to keep things balanced as I didn't want the hassle of changing the rear. And so I ordered one and it arrived. But it is steel and weighs an absolute ton. It probably will never fatigue but man it is heavy! Any one know if the light weight ones are still available anywhere?

Old and new:

Last edited by markcro; 07-02-2017 at 22:59.

Rides
    I can tell you to rule out white line as they are steel and heavy.

Gkteck is spring steel

Though percentage weight is it a significant or noticible difference?

Rides
    Never heard of lightweight ARB's. To be honest I'd just whack the standard/heavy one on the front. It might feel heavy in your hand but it'll make d!ck all difference to the balance of your car, even with the lighter one out back. I'd have no confidence in the lightweight version anyway. Surely you don't want it happening again? I've got Whitelines on my track spec 200. They're as heavy as any other aftermarket ARB but do their job well. Adjustable as well which is nice.

Rides
    Aluminium sounds like a terrible choice for a anti roll bars so I'd guess that's why they don't make them any more and nobody else does either

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Never heard of lightweight ARB's. To be honest I'd just whack the standard/heavy one on the front. It might feel heavy in your hand but it'll make d!ck all difference to the balance of your car, even with the lighter one out back. I'd have no confidence in the lightweight version anyway. Surely you don't want it happening again? I've got Whitelines on my track spec 200. They're as heavy as any other aftermarket ARB but do their job well. Adjustable as well which is nice.
    Yes this is true. Compared to the overall weight of the car it will make fuk all difference. But I was thinking more of an imbalance of torsion between this new one and the lightweight one on the back. But again will it make that much of a difference? Both are 30mm but I have no idea the spring/torsion rating of either. Anyway it's on the car now so it will do. ;-)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    Aluminium sounds like a terrible choice for a anti roll bars so I'd guess that's why they don't make them any more and nobody else does either
    They weren't pure aluminium, there were some sort of chromium alloy. But it is so long ago now that I can't remember exactly. But they were very, very light!

Rides
    I've got the same Godspeed ARBs and I didn't think they were particularly light? Mine still look in great nick, but they've been in storage for the last 4 years.

Rides
    I noticed they were much lighter when I fitted them, nearly 10 years ago I bought them as they got the best reviews at the time, I had no idea they were sold as lightweight.

Never heard of one doing that before though
    Mine have done 100k + miles and been to the Nurburgring ring twice as well as many track days, I'll have to have a good look at them when the weathers nicer

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by s14@jim View Post
    I noticed they were much lighter when I fitted them, nearly 10 years ago I bought them as they got the best reviews at the time, I had no idea they were sold as lightweight.

Never heard of one doing that before though
    Mine have done 100k + miles and been to the Nurburgring ring twice as well as many track days, I'll have to have a good look at them when the weathers nicer
    Put it this way, I remember fitting them about 7 or 8 years ago and finding that they were way lighter that the standard ones coming off the car. Yet were about twice as thick. And then this new one arrived and went to grab the box off the floor and went "fuk!", it was a two hand lift. I was thinking that I didn't remember them being that heavy 7/8 years ago. And sure enough when I took off the broken one I could twirl it around in one hand it was that light.
    Maybe it was just a fault in mine that reared it's head after so many years. They also seen the Ring a few times and a good few track days, but no idea why it broke.