Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ignition timing?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmcinally View Post
    I did hear about that, I think mine is a UK one, but either way, it sits at 0° in the middle position

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    Have you tried removing the CAS but leaving it plugged in and turning it? When turned, if good. It'll fire the injectors & coils... You will hear the clicking. IF no clicking. CAS is toast...

EDIT... Nevermind... If the engine is running at all then the CAS is communicating with ECU to dump fuel & to initiate spark. So CAS should be fine. Are you sure you were @ TDC on #1 when installing the CAS? On the SR20 you remove the VC & make sure both lobes on the cams are pointing away from each other to ensure its perfectly @ TDC.

Is there a special procedure for install the CAS on the CA18 like there is on the SR20? Lining up the dots from the gear to the shaft etc?
    Last edited by Jefro240; 27-02-2017 at 20:32.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefro240 View Post
    Have you tried removing the CAS but leaving it plugged in and turning it? When turned, if good. It'll fire the injectors & coils... You will hear the clicking. IF no clicking. CAS is toast...

EDIT... Nevermind... If the engine is running at all then the CAS is communicating with ECU to dump fuel & to initiate spark. So CAS should be fine. Are you sure you were @ TDC on #1 when installing the CAS? On the SR20 you remove the VC & make sure both lobes on the cams are pointing away from each other to ensure its perfectly @ TDC.
    I didn't know the engine had to be at TDC when putting the CAS in? I just lined up the key thing inside and it went on the spline fine

Rides

Rides
    You dont need to be at tdc when installing cas since it can only go in in 1 position!

Also just because spinning the cas fires the injectors it doesn't mean it is 100% working correctly. (Talking from experience)

Also ca and sr are completely different

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    You dont need to be at tdc when installing cas since it can only go in in 1 position!

Also just because spinning the cas fires the injectors it doesn't mean it is 100% working correctly. (Talking from experience)

Cool, that's good to know. I'll check for codes tomorrow too

I posted in the Scotland section about trying someone else's CAS, but no reply yet

Rides

Thanks. Trying to educate myself on the CA's a bit. When the timing belt was re-done, wouldn't the engine need to be set @ TDC?

Rides
    TBH I would just see if I could borrow a different light or take the car to a garage as I doubt they would charge you much if at all to wave a timing light at it.

jefro. the CA RB and VG all use the same CAS on the end of the cam system. on the jim wolf technology website it shows abit about the wear they suffer from.

Rides
    This is what I'm talking about...

When replacing the timing belt the first thing you do is set TDC... Then prior to setting the tensioner confirm its @ TDC and that all timing marks match up.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefro240 View Post
    This is what I'm talking about...

When replacing the timing belt the first thing you do is set TDC... Then prior to setting the tensioner confirm its @ TDC and that all timing marks match up.
    You are right as putting to tdc should mean all the timing marks line up, although not strictly necessary but always good practice

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Key checked OK.

Half moon peg in cam and cas checked OK.

Belt tooth count checked OK.

Does the cover plate have 2 location dowels? It's vital to align the CAS with the cam, a missing dowel results in cam spline wear.

Is the timing light Xenon with white flash or a really old orange Neon one?

Some strobes (Gunson) got too clever and have an "advance" knob, has to be set to "0°" for timing. If you set knob to 15° and then time on the 15° mark you are setting 30° advance which is way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    jefro. the CA RB and VG all use the same CAS on the end of the cam system. on the jim wolf technology website it shows abit about the wear they suffer from.
    Except CA only has 4 180° slots and the others have 6 - 120° slots. You would have a right game if you mixed them up.
    Last edited by skyshack; 28-02-2017 at 09:04. Reason: 6 has 120° slots

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Except CA only has 4 180° slots and the others have 6 - 120° slots. You would have a right game if you mixed them up.
    I said same system not same CAS mr smarty pants!

Rides
    Right this thing is making no sense. I was using one of the old neon orange timing lights before, and I had to turn the CAS fully clockwise to see 15° on the pulley. Now I've got a proper snap-on timing light (set to 0) and I have to turn it fully anti-clockwise to see 15° on the pulley?!? This makes no sense to me

Rides
    Right this thing is making no sense. I was using one of the old neon orange timing lights before, and I had to turn the CAS fully clockwise to see 15° on the pulley. Now I've got a proper snap-on timing light (set to 0) and I have to turn it fully anti-clockwise to see 15° on the pulley?!? This makes no sense to me

How are you hooking it up?

You got a pic of your neon one?

Rides
    How are you hooking it up?

You got a pic of your neon one?

With the snap on, I tried both putting a HT lead between the plug and coil, and the wee loop. Both had the same outcome.

With the neon one, it just goes between the plug and coil. It's not pretty, and it shocks me a lot, but I think it works.

Rides
    Shot in the dark, but any chance a bad engine earth could be causing these problems? My main engine earth wire is heavily deteriorated and sometimes doesn't start unless the wire is being held in a specific position. I'm putting a new one on tomorrow. But thought it might be worth mentioning

Rides
    Anyone got any other ideas for this? Its still not staying in time, and I can't find anyone locally to try a different CAS. Is it possible that it could be something to do with the wiring/engine loom?

I've literally changed everything except the wiring - Completely different engine including a different CAS, ECU, tune, etc.. - and I've had this problem with the timing since I bought the car over 15 months ago.

Completely out of ideas and absolutely fed up with this car haha.

Rides
    Anyone got any other ideas for this? Its still not staying in time, and I can't find anyone locally to try a different CAS. Is it possible that it could be something to do with the wiring/engine loom?

I've literally changed everything except the wiring - Completely different engine including a different CAS, ECU, tune, etc.. - and I've had this problem with the timing since I bought the car over 15 months ago.

Completely out of ideas and absolutely fed up with this car haha.
    Have you done an ecu diagnostics test?

It could be loom their are test procedures in the workshop manual

Rides
    I couldn't figure out how to do the diagnostics test haha. I'll have a look at the manual now.

Rides

Rides
    Thanks man!

I really hope I figure this out soon, or someone will be buying this nightmare of a car very cheap, and I'll be losing a lot of money haha!