Thread: ICE advice - tablet installs, fancy dan satnav etc.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides

ICE advice - tablet installs, fancy dan satnav etc.

Ive just bought myself a new car that doesnt have Bluetooth, I was originally going to get a Parrot type of thing and use it for handsfree, playing music and DAB radio through my phone - before anyone suggests it I cant replace the head unit for various reasons, mainly that it doesnt have one

But then I got to thinking maybe theres a better approach that doesnt rely so much on the phone - maybe a unit that has a DAB tuner built in, can take SD cards for music and integrates into the car stereo too, perhaps a nav system as well - the one in the car is a bit dated,

A bit of searching turned up this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Capacitive-.../dp/B00A4BQAYU which seems to do everything other than DAB and appears to integrate into the car stereo, but would a 3G tablet install have the same or more functionality for less money?

Last time I messed with ICE was a while ago, any input would be appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    The Phaeton doesn't have a stereo??

Quite a few MX5 owners have installed a tablet in place of a stereo, big thread here

Rides
    Phaeton doesnt have Bluetooth, it has a central control screen that does everything else though - I dont think Kenwoods latest offering offers 4 zone climate control or contains the instruction manual, for instance

The bit Im confused about is getting whatever I chuck in to work through the car's stereo - it doesnt have any inputs as such so could be a bit tricky like.
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I reckon you will need one of these, https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUX-Adaptor.../dp/B000BV7F2O or similar to suit your car and will probably loose the cd changer in the process

Rides
    Yep, Jims cracked it, I needed a box that piggybacks off the mulitchanger input - Dension make one with integral BT so hopefully that should do the trick

Rides
    Did they not offer a Phaeton stereo that did have bluetooth?
    You could just upgrade to that?

Rides
    Not on this model, it was introduced on the next one and its all different. Hopefully the Dension one will do the trick, will report back