Thread: What's causing this noise (vid inside)

Rides

What's causing this noise (vid inside)

Hi.

Noise is there when pulling away ie engaging the clutch. In the video the rear wheels are off the ground and I'm just letting the clutch out in 1st. Car drives fine and once moving is quiet. Some info:

New comp clutch and flywheel. ARP flywheel bolts torqued down as per instructions.

Hardrace Street gbox and engine mounts

Exhaust isn't hitting anything as far as I can tell

Standard diff that didn't make any noise before the car was rebuilt. Poly subframe bushes.

350z box but it made the noise with the std gearbox too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it's driving me mad!

YouTube video: https://youtu.be/XITYIIm6ZEw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    If it was mine, i'd definitely be taking the gearbox off to have a look. Sounds like it could be a broken spring on the backplate?

Rides
    That doesn't sound good at all. Can you pin point the noise to gearbox or engine?

Rides
    Is it the same clutch that you've had on it with both the S14 gearbox and the 350z gearbox? My old S14 with an ACT HD paddle clutch made quite a shudder when pulling away in 1st gear but I put it down to a badly skimmed flywheel with high spots on it. Don't think it was as noticeable outside the car as yours is though.

Rides
    It's hard to pinpoint the noise whilst being sat in the drivers seat, I'll try and get her to let the clutch out whilst I look underneath some time.

Yes same clutch. Is a comp clutch and flywheel stg 4.

Rides
    Quick update, jacked the rear up and put the handbrake on and is stopped. Driveshafts are all good so got me thinking it must be the diff. All I did was clean it out whilst it was removed?

Rides
    I had exactly this with a harsh triple plate clutch whenever I started to let clutch out in gear. The shudder from the clutch transmitted through the driveline and made my driveshaft shudder! The noise was the shaft knocking against the inside of the outer cv joint cup. I repacked the cv joints with cv grease and problem solved. To look at the shafts they had no excessive play etc in them it was just the harshness of the clutch transmitting through the driveline making the shafts bounce in and outwards of the cv joints!?!?!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thanks mate I'll have a look at that