Thread: New s15 owner with many questions!

Rides

Question New s15 owner with many questions!

Hi everyone! Not sure if this is the correct thread (some are technical) but please move if wrong admin!

I've just purchased my first ever rwd car, my first ever jap car and you guessed it, it's a s15 finished in aspen white! I have many questions that I'd like you all to answer if you can! But I'm loving the car (and it's attention on the uk roads)!

A little background information! My Silvia is completely stock (I think) minus "colder" plugs, an air filter and a exhaust system as well as a aftermarket boost guage that measures in bar (even though I prefer PSI) and BS coilovers

So onto my questions (straight in the deep end)...

1)I've heard that my colour of car is quite special/rare, how true is this?

2)My s15 seems to be mega when it comes to power (might just be me) but when looking at the boost guage it's boosting at 1 Bar boost, is this stock/factory level?

3)How can I tell my s15 is a "JDM" version and what does this mean?

4)MY rear tyres seem to be scrubbing off a lot on the inner edges (the rear looks quite cambered), is this just a case of 4 wheel alignment to correct this?

5) This thing loses grip quite easy on the rear end (had some terrible budgets fitted to the rear) and I believe it has quite a lot of camber. Any suggestions on some good rear tyres to run for good wet grip (apart from uniroyals as they wear far to quick)? I much prefer traction over looks/"for the skids".

6) I'd like to fit a FMIC (I was supplied one with the car with pipework) I've tried searching but I'm not really getting the answer I want. Do I really need to buy a different battery and drill a 74mm hole somewhere? Are they any kits should I need to buy one that "bolt on"?

7) I have a 6 speed manual box, I know there is a mass debate about these but are they really chocolate & what power can they handle?

8) where can I purchase the rear boot badge that says "Silvia"?

9) what is HICAS, and does my Silvia have it?

10) my speedo has been converted to MPH but the odometer still goes up in KMs, is there a fix for this?

11) Half my dash lights don't work, are these just bulbs that can be replaced or are they SMLED?

12) Fuel use seems astonishing in this, for every £10!of fuel im getting 42KM (note this does say kilometres), is this normal consumption? £20 dissappears in next to no time at all!

13) Looking at my injectors in the manifold they seem to be a pink/red colour, are these factory/stock?

Sorry for the long post but I appreciate every single reply! The more knowledgeable I become the better, I'm sure it's not the last of my questions either 😂

Rides
    1. I didn't think white was rare but it's an s15*so rare enough.
    2. Stage 1 is a bar. So it's uplifted from factory power. The t28 is brilliant at this level. Push it further it will eat itself.
    3. Japanese domestic market. If it's from Japan. It will be.
    4. You may need to lift the cars suspension. Some people lower the car so it's unusable. I'm not keen on that. Camber is added to fir the wheel under the arch. But getting it aligned will help grip.
    5. Decent tyre and the back wheels straight on the ground nd it will grip well.
    6. The intercooler normally goes through the battery tray. Our can buy different pipe work but the one you have is the best.
    7. 400bhp
    8. Garage d
    9. No hicas .*rear wheel steering
    10. Nope
    11 bulbs mate.
    12. Unless the car has been mapped it will be over fueling like crazy at a bar. I suggest hdev chip stage 1a or some sort of management. You will gain power and economy.
    13. Stock injectors

Hope that helps

Rides
    White is the most popular colour of car in Japan, including the s15. The rarest s15 colour is a teal blue called aqua silver.

Why do you ask about hicas? Your car could have it as some s15's did come with it but not many.

Rides
    9) it's an option although I've never seen or heard of one with that option, you'll see the rear wheels move when you turn the wheel if you have it, or check the fuse box see if there is a fuse for it

10) http://www.lockwoodinternational.co....t-no-c241.html - very expensive for what it is, I just use the GPS speedo on my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    9) They did have it (mine does) pic below of the rear steering rack. If yours looks the same, then it's got it.

Rides
    That looks like the world of pain to remove lol

Rides
    It's actually quite nice to drive with on the twisties when it's all aligned straight.

Rides
    Rear wheel steering was available on a load of the japanese coupes in the 90's, then seemed to disappear, and is now making a resurgence.

Rides
    Thanks for your reply! I'm a little concerned now as having said the boost has been turned up I'm wondering if fuelling/ AFR is correct as it's looks to be the factory/stock exu and stock under the bonnet (i.e no manual boost solenoid or no EBC)

Also what I meant by JDM ( I know what JDM stands for) is what's different on the JDM market s15s compared to other markets?

Rides
    Nothing's different, all S15s in the uk are JDM as they never sold them in Europe or America.

Rides
    They were sold in Australia as a 200sx. They had less power and probably a few other variations too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dread View Post
    They were sold in Australia as a 200sx. They had less power and probably a few other variations too.
    New zealand too iirc

Rides
    Standard ECU will make it overfuel . As long as it's not over a bar you will be fine

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by joey200sx View Post
    Standard ECU will make it overfuel . As long as it's not over a bar you will be fine
    sweet!

Well i've sorted the clock bulbs now!

I've also had my alignment done but camber is still a issue due to it being low. Guys kwik fit said it's non adjustable, they said If I make the car higher it should all pull in.

So what do I need to sort this whilst keeping the lows? Adjustable rear camber arms? i know adjustable top mounts can be had for the front!

http://imgur.com/a/lw5fQ

Rides
    Get some pictures.

The camber shouldn't be that far out.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Get some pictures.

The camber shouldn't be that far out.
    Pictures of what?

Rides
    Buy camber arms, will be about 2/3deg if you lower without.