Thread: So that's what a turbo is like!

Rides

So that's what a turbo is like!

Hi there one and all!

I have recently purchased myself a 1998 S14A as a bit of a project and weekend toy!

I've just come over from owning an N/A Subaru Impreza (yes it's as slow as you think) for a little over a year as I only meant for it to be stop gap but ended up loving it!!

As it was starting to show its age and just wasn't exciting anymore I decided to go for something different all together...

This is my first turbo car and although off to a tricky start I know I'm going to love every minute of driving this car.

Obligatory picture bellow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Very nice. quite like the colour I've got to say.

Welcome to the club.

What's the spec of the car and what are the plans for the future.

Rides
    Thanks! Was the selling piece I think...

It's currently got FMIC and a walbro 225 fuel pump and was mapped last year sometime with a dyno read out of 260bhp.

It's just has a new turbo put in that I was told is from an S15 but will be checking the codes on the weekend when I get a chance. It's only running stock boost at the minute so the aforementioned power output will be notably off...

It's also got coilovers (not sure of brand just yet) and dare RS alloys with surprising little curb rash!!

Also sporting a nice straight though exhaust which pops and bangs a treat!

Next job on the list is new injectors, MAF and a remap in the hopes I can get close to 300bhp without having to get a bigger turbo just yet.

Rides
    Welcome to the club. That looks lovely mate you'll have to get some more pictures up of it.

Rides
    I will do as soon as I can!! It's rained ever since I bought it

She's currently got a fair bit or lacquer bubbling and some damage to the front and bumper and rear bumper as well (because drift car) but from a distance, when it's wet, and in the dark, it looks brilliant

Rides
    Welcome, cool looking car mate, I saw it advertised on Facebook. You will have many people tell you not to rush into power modifications on here and there's a reason for that, these things are fecking sketchy. Be careful, learn your car. Get yourself some grippy tyres, maybe upgrade your brakes and enjoy the car for what it is. When you do decide it's time
    Horsham Developments chips are an affordable, safe and easy way to get more power. Check stage 1a, you don't need injectors or a maf and you'd be damn close to 300bhp.

Rides
    Thanks for the heads up on that!!

Power figures are a long term goal really, if I really want to go fast in the mean time I'll just jump on my motorbike...

Will definitely look into the chips as I've seen a few on eBay and read good reviews!

My main thing will be making sure it handles the way I like, I'm quite fussy so should be interesting...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pazzan View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on that!!

Power figures are a long term goal really, if I really want to go fast in the mean time I'll just jump on my motorbike...

Will definitely look into the chips as I've seen a few on eBay and read good reviews!

My main thing will be making sure it handles the way I like, I'm quite fussy so should be interesting...

don't buy the eBay chips, buy from here...you'll more than likely get a full ECU with the HDev daughterboard already installed inside, you'll need other associated NATS bits but it will just swap over

as for the turbo to check if its a ball bearing one is to count the number of bolts holding the turbine (Hot side) housing in place as standard journal bearing turbo has 4, a BB core has 6

BUT its only the early S15's that had BB turbo's

that turbo is 300bhp capable

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    don't buy the eBay chips, buy from here...you'll more than likely get a full ECU with the HDev daughterboard already installed inside, you'll need other associated NATS bits but it will just swap over

as for the turbo to check if its a ball bearing one is to count the number of bolts holding the turbine (Hot side) housing in place as standard journal bearing turbo has 4, a BB core has 6

BUT its only the early S15's that had BB turbo's

that turbo is 300bhp capable

Well thank you for all of the above!! I shall have a look on the sale section to see what's around... What kind of power would a "standard" turbo be capable of running safely??

Rides
    a standard journal turbo 280-maybe 290, a T28R (S15...GT2560r) slightly more around 300-310 MAX however your standard injectors and AFM will be absolutely maxed by that point, the standard ones are 380cc, S15's use 480cc.

480cc can be fitted but you will need a remap.

I originally went down S15 turbo and injectors route and made 301 at 1.2bar

Rides
    As above, my S15 made 312.8HP (Surrey Rolling Road) at 1.2 bar on a journal bearing T28 & 480's (2002 car).

The injectors were nearly at max duty though!

Rides
    Thanks for the advice guys!! Will be paying them a visit soon as I was recommend them by a few people... Next job is a boost controller though as it's running factory psi at the moment

Rides
    Were you over near festival leisure this afternoon around 6.30?

Rides

So that's what a turbo is like!

That was me!! Was headed up to tesco at the time

Rides
    Only caught a glimpse but wondered it if was you, the colour kinda makes it unique

Rides
    Yeah it was the first run out I've had since buying it. Yeah the colour is definitely easy to spot in the car park!!