Thread: Summer operating temps

Rides

Summer operating temps

My 14a has circa 400hp and recent upgrades of a large Mishimoto Alu rad and GKtech cooling fan, I recently got my defi triple gauge working and have the ability to monitor my oil and water temps.
    Today on a hot summer day I've noticed it's running at 110.c for water temps and 100-110.c oil
    It's better when driving around and reduces down to 90 oil/90 water or thereabouts but just sat idling in the sunshine it gets to the 100-110 region.
    I daren't take it on track and actually see what it does under some stress, it still reads fine on factory gauge and it has no symptoms of being stressed or overheating.
    Is there anything to worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    110 the fan should kick in by then , also if it's not cooking great your water pump could be on its way out and not circulating the water sufficiently enough

Rides

Summer operating temps

Have you fitted an oil cooler?

Mine used to be the same but since fitting a Trust 11 row cooler it rarely goes over 90 on either

Rides
    No additional oil cooler, maybe something to look into, I topped up my coolant and it seemed to sit a lot better. Oil levels fine and it's new ish oil

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Seems quite hot to me. Mine tends to sit around 90 water temp iirc
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    That's quite hot if not on a track day.
    Do you have any ducting made around the radiator, as air could go around it. Also I assume you're still using the OEM fan shroud?
    If you've got everything from the above, I would consider 16-19 row oil cooler with thermostatic switch.

Rides
    Water is high, oil is not. Remember over cooled oil is as bad as it getting too hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Am I right the Water pump sits behind the viscous fan and is passive? It is turned by an auxiliary belt itself?
    It sounds like a part that isn't going to wear out. I have the more efficient gktech fan and I'm still running the shroud around the viscous.
    Oil wise I have a sandwich plate but so far that's just being used as a place for an oil temp and pressure probe.

Rides
    water pumps on Sr20's either work, seize up/shear off or leak. they don't become less efficient.

remember that when you are giving it death on a track you are also scooping large amounts of air through the radiator.