Thread: So I tried to post a hello....

Rides

So I tried to post a hello....

Doing this more as a test, I had posted up a reasonable hello thread, stating my aims with my new s14a and the condition its in. (also my other project 350z)
    But it doesn't appear to have worked. Anyway, just saying hello again before I start using the search bar some more.
    Normally quite a regular on forums once I like a car enough... hopefully I will like this one =)

Rides
    Well that worked... so guess it's take two.
    Bought myself a nice low mileage s14a, it's an auto but don't mind as it's my daily driver and will hopefully be kept for a long time.
    I own a widebody supecharged 350Z and wanted a car that is cool but has 4 seat's in case kids come along, (selling a chrysler 300c 5.7 V8 as having two cars with sub 20mpg is not great)
    The 200sx has always had a place in my heart, (wanted one when i was young but ended up with the fwd version... Prelude 2.2) now I have a decent job and a good size garage it felt like the right time to get one.

The car has had rust treatment to pass an MOT i.e. they coated the whole underside with tar and did some poor welding so the plan is to take the rear subframe off and get the wire brush out to get back to bare metal and have a good base to start. The SR20 seems strong and the auto box is fine for now.... (spare VQ35 might end up in her next year)

The looks have grown on me so I have put on hold my plans for turning her into a KOUKUDA, (love hemi barracuda's and the rocket bunny boss kit) but this will happen when I find out how good the kit from GRAMS styling is. (bought a diffuser from them for the 350z.....)

Anyway here she is.

Rides
    The weekend toy.

Rides
    Welcome to the club.

Nice looking 200 you've got there. Shame the rust has been bodged, they all suffer from it at some point, you will need to get the welder out.

The 350z looks amazing, What power does the supercharger setup make?

Rides
    Welcome

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Nice 200, look forward to seeing your plans, not a massive fan of 350z's but yours looks awesome
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    200 looks/reads as a decent base to work on to your taste,and the 350 looks very cool as well,

Rides
    Thanks guys, glad this place isn't a ghost town lol, need to save up for a welder as I would like an AC/DC tig one so I can do ALU and thin stuff, if anyone has recommendations lower than £3K that would be great!

Just bought myself a service kit for the SR20, always like to change the oil on a new car so I can see how good the engine is (I have yet to properly rev it)
    Think I went for Fucas Titan race 5-40 and a K&N filter as it looks a pain to gain access to with a normal filter wrench/hand. (probably over kill for an engine I plan to swap out but if I end up keeping it or selling it then it wont hurt)

The vortech V3 supercharger on it at the moment is the smallest one they do but is still making 450ish flywheel (last dyno tune I had a boost leak so not got an actual figure with latest mods, 430hp before that.) The rods are the weak point so this is still classed as save for a stock block.....
    But I have everything for a block which should cope with 700-800hp, but I am aiming to max out this charger at 600-650hp with a larger crank pulley so the blower is only slightly over spinning, well that is the plan, I may have to change the impeller to achieve this. The bigger blowers can make 800+ but that is probably too much for a street car and will eat belts no doubt.

Not sure if I will use ITB's on the VQ35 that is going in the s14 or if i will buy a second hand set of GTR turbos and make a hybrid manifold using GTR and 350Z stock manifolds. (I would like to keep mpg in the mid to high 20's).

I really want to start buying suspension bushes or arms but it would be smarter to take the old ones off and have everything shot blasted to figure out the best direction, this should happen when I get back from holiday in a few weeks.

Also what alarm systems do you recommend? I have a toad on the 350Z but not wanting to break the bank £100ish.

Cheers

Rides
    I guess to stop millions of naff build threads people have to exceed a post count or something....

So I might get round to that at some point.

Had a look under the car more closely, this looks dead, i heard they are fluid filled so not worth swapping for new bushes.

Also driftworks had a sale on.... so bought a full suspension package lol, monopro coilovers, arms, subframe locking collars (might not use these as I plan to burn the old bushes out for new ones).
    A bit tired looking, gave the sump a rub with the wire brush and seems ok so did a service on her too.

Those oil filters suck location wise and the fuel filter did not want to let go of it's rubber hoses! Ended up snapping a bolt for its carrier trying to give myself more space

Not sure what this is but it wasn't attached so I had to sort that, also the air filter box had not been put back on correctly, starting to see a pattern, quick fix must have been the mechanics name.

I had planned to finish sorting my garage out but this is too much fun.

Rides
    Welcome to the forum, nice garage you have there, perfect to start your money pit... Oops I meant project ha ha. The more you dig for rust on most uk 200's the more you will find. On the welder front, I don't know how much you have done before but you are better off trying to stick with one process to save on different gas, rods etc plus you will be better, trying to weld 3 different metals unless you have previous experience can be quite overwhelming! A regular £300 mig will be good enough for all the body work, obviously if you want to do ally then ye ac tig, or stainless then dc tig but that will become expensive.

Those front tension rods can be replaced with poly bushes which make a big difference though you have probably got new tension arms in your dw kit.

Good luck, if your 200sx comes out like your 350z has it should come out well!

Rides
    Thanks and good advice about the welding gear, it would just spiral out of control probably, I should just stick to MIG, yeah the tension rods are in the kit so should save me some hassle.
    The problem is I have yet to finish the 350z so kinda have two money pit's going at the same time which is never wise.
    Just checked I need to be a full member to have a project thread, so I will post in here and hide lol for now...

Rides
    You need to be a paid up member to start a project thread, one of the perks of paying next to discounted parts, group buys, the weekender, subsidised events and sh1t