Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning / detailing

Rides
    Sorry Matas but ... You lazy !

To suggest you can't get a decent finish by hand just goes to show you've never seen the s13 I used to have. It never saw a machine polisher in its life and I'm no cripple

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Sorry Matas but ... You lazy !

To suggest you can't get a decent finish by hand just goes to show you've never seen the s13 I used to have. It never saw a machine polisher in its life and I'm no cripple

Oh you can get a good finish, I did my old car by hand and it was a massive improvement but it will not be as good as a DA. As for the lazy, I must have spent into the hundreds of hours cleaning and detailing this car now so that can't be it I'm just really obsessed with little details. I don't really know how well you could remove swirls by hand, I wouldnt like to try, it was effort with a DA.

Rides
    Thanks for clearing up my queries on polishing, now I just need to buy some kit, hope for some nice weather and get stuck in haha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matas View Post
    . I don't really know how well you could remove swirls by hand, I wouldnt like to try, it was effort with a DA.
    I think JW has never seen a swirl in his paint though!

Rides
    Nice thread, good info. I was wondering about interior cleaning.

I'd like to restore the finish of the plastics and "leather" inside the car, is there any preferred method? My center console has some fair scratches on it, is re-painting even an option or are there products to fill the gaps?

Also, there are lot's of rubber seals around the doors that look awful, they are all spotted and washed out. It's not a big deal, but It'd be nice to have them looking nice.

Rides
    Autoglym rubber and vinyl cleaner is great for cleaning but it won't repair scratches. The only thing I've seen work is replacing the panel with a better one.
    For cloth seats, carpets and flock panels, a Vax with a curtain adapter is a great way of getting things properly clean. Leather, autoglym leather cleaner and leather conditioner/feed.

Rides
    This is where I'm probably gonna make myself sound even more or a novice but is there much difference between the gear needed to apply all of this cleaning stuff or will any old microfibre cloth, wash mitts and the like be okay?

Rides
    For interior, use cotton rags. Shirts, t-shirts, underpants etc but best is bedsheets, towels and curtain linings etc. I don't buy cloths but do occasionally inherit microfibre cloths from the wife's stock of cleaning products.

One bed sheet will make around 24 rags when cut up with a stanley knife to get things started then torn along the grain.

The biggest expense for interiors is if you have to buy a Vax (£100) and curtain adaptor (£15).

Rides
    I use microfibre cloths for everything. I had a bunch of random ones but then bought these which I've been happy with. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kirkland-Si.../dp/B00GARQKII
    Wash with microfibre wash mitts, or if you want to spend loads you can get those lambswool ones, no idea how much difference they make. Two buckets, one wash, one rinse. Couple of microfiber applicator pads could be useful, but you could just use a microfibre cloth if not. Couple of little brushes would be good for wheels, areas around badges and interior vents and switches.
    Last edited by Matas; 28-07-2017 at 07:41.

Rides

Cleaning / detailing

Cheers Jonny and matas, I think I'll start with just some microfibre cloths for now, I can expand my collection as and when I need to but I just want to get some starter items up together for the time being

Rides
    If I used microfibre cloths for everything, I'd be a poor man by now. I get through about 30 cloths a week ! Old bedsheets are free