Thread: Brake master cylinder upgrade for an S13 180sx

Rides

Brake master cylinder upgrade for an S13 180sx

Hi all,
    I have a K-Sport 8 pot caliper setup at the front and a twin rear caliper setup on my 180sx. I want to upgrade my brake master cylinder as the pedal is soft. I can push to the stop easily on track and also the rear brakes aren't having any real effect.

I know the BM-57 from a 300ZX was a common upgrade, but they are hard to come by these days it seems. Are there any other ways, aside from fitting a pedal box, that I can upgrade my BMC?

Thanks,
    Andy.

Rides
    Would one from a Skyline fit?

Rides
    think r33 skylines had the bm44, which might be the same as s14/sr20d 180sx so prob no better, not sure if other skyline jobbies fit
    Last edited by sxbaz; 02-08-2017 at 17:45.

Rides
    Yeah, i'm needing at least a 1" bore MC I reckon.

Rides
    try Mark at Automodz for BM57 - "07794015646" or email is "sales@automodz.co.uk".

Rides
    FYI, Automodz were able to sort me out a second hand BM57 unit that'll hopefully be turning up today. I'll update if it solves my braking problems.

Rides
    If that doesn't work and you want to go hardcore you could try
    http://www.compbrake.com/product/nis...ylinder-kit-b/

I have one takes a bit of setting up and for the money isn't bad. I have done a whole season of trackdays now with it and it's done fine once I got the balance sorted out properly.
    It was interesting when I didn't have the balance right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_baran View Post
    FYI, Automodz were able to sort me out a second hand BM57 unit that'll hopefully be turning up today. I'll update if it solves my braking problems.
    should do the job

Rides
    Update: K-Sport 8 piston brakes up front, Saab/Vauxhall 35mm twin rear piston calipers. (WTF, the kit is awful!).
    Definitely way better with a BM57! Pedal comes in much harder, much earlier. Can't hit the end of the pedal any more. Will be driving the car in anger on track tomorrow, will give an update

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_baran View Post
    Update: K-Sport 8 piston brakes up front, Saab/Vauxhall 35mm twin rear piston calipers. (WTF, the kit is awful!).
    Definitely way better with a BM57! Pedal comes in much harder, much earlier. Can't hit the end of the pedal any more. Will be driving the car in anger on track tomorrow, will give an update
    What track you doing?

Rides
    Oulton Park! I'm making my way around the BTCC circuits

Rides
    That's good news!

Andrew do you run a brake bias valve inside the car too?

Rides
    Well, update - the car drove great, BM57 worked fantastically. Until one of my new rear calipers started leaking from between the casting! Now looking for a better rear brake setup.
    And no, Chrispy - no bias valve. It's already way overpowered front to rear. Definitely don't need to bleed more rear bias out!

Rides
    Update on this. I had to replace the rear brake setup with an R33 GTST kit. I've done another trackday and i'm wondering now whether Chrispy is right and with the current setup i have i actually need either better proportioned master cylinder(s) such as the Compbrake setup linked above, or at least a bias valve for the rear brakes. I've also been looking at whether the R33 GTST or GTR brembos would be a more cost effective solution for the track, without losing braking performance.

My friend has offered to do the maths with me to work out the required master cylinder sizes to get the most out of the brakes, as I can't lock the fronts regardless how hard i try. I'll report back with my findings.