Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S13 - Saving a Drift Missile

Rides
    Another pictureless update, apologies for that!

I have been working on the underseal and such like, with only getting one day a week it is a painfully slow process. Im now at the point I need to drop the rear subframe to get all around there and then tackle the rusty rear pockets. in the meantime I cant help buying things for the 13 so I have bought:

4 point bolt in cage - I will be welding this in
    s13 vlsd - it looks a little be rusty and rough but works fine so im told, time will tell!

this weekend im hoping to either drop the subframe and continue underseal removal or start cutting rust out for a change in pace. more pictures to follow.

Rides
    Not a very exciting update but progress is progress! I am now 99% finished with the grinding back to the wheel well. I needed to borrow a die grinder for the smaller bits which I now have and can continue. Im still not 100% sure if I am going to cut out the wheel well and run a fuel cell as I have the dreaded rotted filler neck on the tank 

Some pics of the underside, as boring as they are!

I decided I wanted to shotblast the rear subframe myself so bough some glass beads, a Clarke blasting gun and had a go in a tent with breathing equipment etc, as to not kill myself! Easily the biggest mistake I’ve made. The picture below is after at least 6 hours straight of doing it, and im not even half way!

[/url]

I have now given up and I will pay someone to finish that, and also do the R33 skyline one that I have coming.. never again. I will do smaller items in a cabinet, as the 5 stud hubs I have took 10minutes each!

Took advantage of the black Friday sales and got the rear arm kit from driftworks… lovely items and they are lovely to deal with, obviously!

The weather is starting to turn now so anything outdoors Is on hold, I still have some more grinding before I need to start chopping out the rear arches for the bunny kit and cutting rust out. I have also got the old engine bay loom at home to start chasing the faults in that and maybe simplifying it down a bit, if anyone has any tips or an old loom they don’t want let me know! Would rather have spares incase it goes wrong!

Rides
    Next update is a bit more positive and I feel like I have achieved something! After about 12 hours in a tent, I gave up with the shot blasting and vowed never to do that again! I paid someone to blast it, and then prime it so it didn’t rust.

The next weekend, I had a bit of a funny weekend with the girlfriend painting it (on her parents kitchen table!!) and it sat waiting for me to do something to it. Christmas got it the way of progress but the next point I could I got over, and fitted the subframe (roughly) to the car and got my driftworks kit on, as well as the eccentric bolt kit from gtech. I understand the subframe isn’t fitted correctly below, it is waiting for me to paint the spacers for the subframe and it can go back up until I underseal the car. For now, it looks brilliant with everything painted and fitted:

Massive thanks to Hamish for the 5stud hubs, backing plates, caliper and handbrake cable, I’ve left the caliper and cable off for now, I just wanted to get it back on the floor!

I need to refurb the HSD's, but HSD themselves said they dont do service kits for them, anyone have any ideas on where/if they exist?!

Unfortunately I failed there, borrowed some lexus wheels and whilst they are 5x114.3 the centre bore wasn’t big enough so its still on axle stands at the back.

I have been buying (I cant help myself!) bits along the way if they come up at a good price. I have the rear part of the centre console (where the cigarette lighter is) waiting at home and I also have the spreader plates for the cage made and ready to weld in.
    Last edited by klone; 29-01-2018 at 22:02.

Rides
    Bit of an update, and people may or may not know or care but the original missile shell has gone. It wasn't because it was too rusty, or too much trouble, but I developed a bit of a problem where I kept finding nice, cheap (ish) 13s and buying every one I saw! At one point I was up to four!!

So, I ended up buying a VERY clean red shell, with an engine in it but not running or tested, but with my plans it didn't matter. when I saw the pictures of it, I sent the deposit and had it collected

as you can see from the pictures, it is stupidly clean! it has had the engine out, bay, a pillars and roof painted and new screen put it. the pictures don't really do it justice. Other than a tiny hole in the rear arch, its completely rust free. 95% full interior too.

So with that, I decided this is the new shell im using, and started to strip it. engine out, loom out, as much as the interior as I fancied out and made it into a rolling shell ready for blasting the underside. I had decided blasting was the way forward as the wire wheeling on the first missile did my head in and I was never happy with the finish.

Part way through stripping:

then, I put my daily DC5 up for sale so I could fund an RB25 engine/box/ecu etc and another bmw daily. Within days I had 80+ messages etc with messers and low ball offers which I half expected. Then one night I was browsing facebook marketplace looking for conversion parts to buy cheap and I stumbled across my next purchase:

I cant help myself! this one is brutally standard, bit rusty underneath in places but with one VERY important detail:

I messaged the chaps friend who was advertising this, and I offered to go and pick it up on a bank holiday, which turned out to be his mother in laws birthday too! the guy was an absolutely lovely guy and I was gutted for him to be selling his pride and joy to me, as I could see he was gutted. the car runs very well apart from a boosting issue when you play with the boost controller but that is no matter to me as I will refresh it all when pulling the engine out for the red shell.

I believe Norfy on here did the loom and/or a whole host of things on this car, the workmanship here is amazing everything bar the cigarette light and rear wiper works!! its not very nice to drive being completely standard and 250+bhp and a welded diff but it wont be like this for long.

Here they are next to each other:

so between playing with the green one to sort its misfire under hard boost (assumed coilpacks and plugs) I had sent the red shell away for blasting. it came back after 3 weeks wait and the blasters did question why I had it blasted as they said it was the nicest 13 underneath they had seen for years. pics sort of show this:

car is shortly being moved so it can have the welding done to it. it has a small hole in the rear arch like i mentioned, it needs cage plates welding in and whilst im at it, i will replace the sills to make sure she is 100% refreshed and rust free under the sills.

then i will start the engine swap and looking to mock up and fit the bunny kit.

I cant seem to change the thread title, I did in first post but it hasn't changed the overall thread title as im no longer saving a missile!
    Last edited by klone; 20-06-2018 at 10:38.

Rides
    Great work and an impressive collection of S13s!

Rides
    You're still finding cheap S13's?? Like how cheap??

What happened to the original shell?

Rides
    well after I sold everything good off the red shell it owes me around £600, the green one was £3.5k which I see as a bargain with the custom parts and looms!

its not all good news though, I bought another 13 to break and that is such a dog I might lose half the money I paid for it! haha

the original blue shell has gone to a friend of a friend. hes doing to build it up as a road going drift car. Two tone paint and OEM+ in his eyes

Rides
    Where did you get the red shell blasted?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Where did you get the red shell blasted?
    http://www.simon-morris.co.uk, very happy with them mate.