Thread: S13 idle

Rides

S13 idle

I hoping for a bit of advice as I'm starting to get stuck with my s13

The idle is a bit weird and I've read so much on here about worn valves, I've cleaned everything I can think of, replaced gaskets and so on

Basically when I start the car, it feels like it's starts too quickly, usually a car will crank a few times and fire, my car seems to crank and splutter into life but it never used to be like that

Also the idle is weird, it will sit at 800 most of the time and will drive normally but pulling up to a junction it will just sit at 1100 and then return, it seems to be completely random, also on idle at 800 there seems to be the slightest misfire, no error codes are present but I'm wondering if the coolant sensor should be replaced anyway, compression test was done a year ago and was fine

Sorry for the long for the long winded message

Adam

Rides
    Actually having almost identical symtoms! Would love to hear info on this thread. I have good compression across the board too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I also had this happen to me, I tried replacing everything I could and have taken it to 5 different garages now and none have been able to help (not that many of the garages in my area seem to be bothered with actually doing any work I ask them to, took one of them over a month to weld a bit of intercooler piping for me after saying it would be the next day) I've now got sick of trying so have decided to do an engine swap on mine but I would be interested to see if anyone works this out as I'll be keeping the engine for something else

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Rides
    The CA engine is quite a clever bit of kit and there are a number of things that can go wrong with the various ancillaries that affect the idle. This includes the aac, ficd and pcv valves the TPS and the cold start and hot start solenoid.
    Several "problems" can be induced by modifying the set up.

So, firstly, do you really have a problem ?
    The idle is expected to increase when load is applied by the power steering, air con etc so that it doesn't stall.
    If it's difficult to start or floods if it runs lumpy when cold but not when hot then you may have problems with inlet valves but a compression test will tell you for certain.
    If you're still not happy, list your mods including breather and other pipework changes, check for boost leaks, check plugs then work through the manual checking the various idle valves one by one.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    its fairly common for them to 'hiccup' occasionally when idling. its down to bad valves like jonny said. if I had decent compression I wouldn't worry about it

Rides
    Cheers for the feedback guys

There nothing immediately wrong with it but it's a problem that's annoyed me for a while now and I'm sure it wasn't present when I got the car

Probably best I leave it alone then as it doesn't appear to get any worse, that said I'm sure it prefers super unleaded to normal petrol...

Thanks again

Adam

Rides
    If it's mapped it should be running super unleaded.
    The thing with old cars/bikes I'd to avoid getting into the habit of waiting for it to break. Resign yourself to it breaking then feel chuffed every time you venture out and it doesn't

Rides
    Just because compression was good a year ago doesn't mean it's good now.

Rides
    I only mentioned the super unleaded as under the fuel flap there is a sticker saying super unleaded only but the manual says anything over 95 Ron so that's what's thrown me

I think perhaps another compression test is needed just to rule that out

Rides
    Checked timing?

Rides
    Checked last year mate, had a cambelt prior to me buying it so had it checked as a matte of course

Rides
    Is it a UK car, if it is standard it should run on 95 no problem. IIRC they do say super unleaded next to the number 95. Maybe you could get worse fuel back in the day? If it is chipped however as others have said it should be run on higher octane.

Rides
    Is all well and good checking a year ago but you are trying to cure it now so.........

Rides
    Car isn't 100% standard

And you're right! It says super unleaded 95! I always saw super and assumed it meant 97 upwards

I still think it runs better on the higher Ron but now I won't worry about putting normal stuff in

Rides
    What are the mods ? It might need 97.

Rides
    Car IS 100% standard

I blame my phone on this one!

Rides
    Compression came back as 135 on the front 2 and 130 on the back 2

Seems to be a good reading apparently

At least that should mean the misfire isn't anything too serious

Adam