Thread: Schumi needs a new family car (part 2)

Rides

Schumi needs a new family car (part 2)

Hi again all, the time has come to replace our current family car that the friendly guys and gals here pointed me in the direction of.

The car that it will be replacing is a 1.33 2009 (59 plate) Yaris which has served us really well but with a second child in the family we really need something that bit bigger to be able to cart everything about.

I've not been given too many show-stoppers other than it can't be a diesel (mainly down to the scaremongering that is currently going on regarding them) but also because the car will mostly be used for short journeys and we don't feel we'd benefit from it. The only other thing is that needs to be no older than the current car (up to 5 years old ideally).

With those criteria in mind my first port of call was a facelift Civic (circa 2012 plate) mainly due to the huge boot space and clever underseat storage in the back. We initially looked at the Astra and Focus but unless you go for the estate the boot space is disappointing from what I have read. I'm a big fan of the Octavia, again the boot space is excellent and class-leading so they're the cars I've been looking at on the hatchback side of things.

Unfortunely due to the 'no-diesel' rule it does limit us with the choice of estates available to us (where a Focus or Astra would be a viable option) and the majority of Octavias. I'm not a huge fan of SUVs if I'm being honest but I've not ruled them out if there is something out there that fits, the same goes for MPVs.

The last couple of long trips we've done we've borrowed my dad's 2008 Vectra which really emphasised the boot space issue we currently have and as a result my wife hasn't ruled out the bigger hatchbacks (I like the look of the Insignia but not completely sold on the build quality/reliability)

We've got a budget of £5k - £8k for this car and would be looking to keep it for the forseeable future (no more children planned) so if there was a car we really liked the look of that was a bit over then we'd consider it.

Any personal experiences on the cars mentioned or any obvious ones that I've left out would be greatly received

Sorry for being a bit vague again, the mrs has given me pretty much free-reign which doesn't really help matters if I'm honest.

Andy

Rides
    What about a 3 series estate?

This 2 litre petrol is on a 60 plate

Rides
    Can't fault our civic, it's not the most refined, but the 1.8 vtec is returning 40+mpg on the work run and sees 50+ if your careful on a long drive out.

The flexibility seats are excellent and it's probably more practical than our xc70 was due to being able to lift the bases and use the floor for storage, also the rear doors open past 90 degrees, really useful for loading children....

It's been nothing but reliable, had a £13 temp senior changed in 2.5 yrs owning it, cheap tax and insurance

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Rides
    It's got a big Volvo written all over it, surely?

Rides
    Last edited by sx rider; 05-09-2017 at 20:46.

Rides
    I think it was one of your threads DLowe that pointed me in the direction of the Civic, also my brother in law works at the local Honda garage

Volvos could certainly be a possibility, I need to have a proper look to see what is out there, thanks for the suggestion arry.

I like the out of the box thinking, Rosh, interesting that they could fall into our price bracket.

Cheers very much for the help so far, it's appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    What about a 3 series estate?

This 2 litre petrol is on a 60 plate
    I've got to admit that I have a bit of an issue with BMWs and Audis, personal prejudice if I'm honest, so I've not really considered them.

It's interesting to see what is out there though, you never know, I may have a change of heart.

Cheers for the suggestion

Rides
    I'd suggest a 159 Sportwagon but that does depend. How much space do you really need in the boot? They're not the biggest.

My V70 is also massive compared my old old bimmer 330. Rear cabin space is compromised on the BM - the wheel arch tubs set inside the rear bench quite a way and the transmission tunnel takes out leg space in the middle. The boot floor is also a lot higher.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by schumi84 View Post
    I like the out of the box thinking, Rosh, interesting that they could fall into our price bracket.
    I'm considering one for my next daily in a few years. Although I'm so happy with my Golf I might just get another.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by schumi84 View Post
    I think it was one of your threads DLowe that pointed me in the direction of the Civic, also my brother in law works at the local Honda garage

Volvos could certainly be a possibility, I need to have a proper look to see what is out there, thanks for the suggestion arry.

Cheers very much for the help so far, it's appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I do love a good volvo, our v70 was particularly good, xc70 was also hassle free.....

Don't expect a decent mpg from a petrol one, but the d5 does do very well especially with a remap. That said the civic is as good on fuel in the daily work drive.

To be honest with kiddie the civic is more practical than the xc70 was, mainly due to the flex seating.

The Honda doesn't come close to matching the comfort of the volvo, no where near...... But then the cost is no where near either.

Our main reason for the "downgrade" was parking paranoia with the volvo, it was a superb car and with kiddie we seemed to be going to more and more places where arse hole parents who Park like imbeciles and allow their offspring to bash the crap out of other people's property - they seem especially prevalent around "play centres" we didn't want anything that would be too upsetting to be covered in dings and scratches.

I was always nervous about the damage that could be inflicted onto the door hips on the xc70, as they were just the right place for a quashqui rear door to be swung into.

When little one is bigger and we can be more selective again we intend to go back to a big swede.... Probably a c70 next tho

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk