Thread: Wiring problem.

Rides

Wiring problem.

So I just bough a project car back off someone I sold it to. I sold it to him in bits but he never got it running.

I just got it back and there seams to me to be an earth (negative) problem. When key is turned to the point before trying to turn the engine over you get some faint lights on the dash and the fuel pump tries to prime but that’s it. turn the key to the stage of turning the engine over and the lights that were on in the dash go out and nothing.

I have found that the engine was not earthed to the chassis, so I rectified this.

Can anyone else explain where the other Earthing points are in the car or show with pics so I can check them.

or even give me different ideas to where the problem may lie

Rides
    earth behind the headlamps.

Rides
    check Battery is fully charged with a volt meter, I have charged battery's in the past for hours and assumed it was all good
    to find it was fcuked and lost it's charge overnight
    is the battery in the front still or in the boot? alternator and engine loom all plugged in ?
    it should crank over with starter/alternator connected and a good engine earth
    there are other earths for the ignition amp,injectors/coilpacks earth on the plenum x2 ,back of the cylinder head bracket to bulkhead earth lead

Rides
    the battery is in the boot. i put my battery tester on it and it came up saying it was good. i also attached my jump starter onto the battery but still the same.

removed the tape round where the old battery connection was in the engine bay and attached the jumper pack on there as well and earthed to the engine. no avail

its the fact im getting very weak light in the dash then there dead completely when trying to turn the engine over that is making me think its got an earth not attached on the ignition system somewhere.

i forgot about the one on the ignition amplifier. will check that.

Rides
    I've not had the fault myself but could be the wiring loom fuse has blown,not 100% were it is located but it is buried in the engine bay loom iirc
    if its been connected up neg to pos vise versa the fuse blows ,,just searched for yonks and no links with info on my wild guess loom fuse
    the fault dim dash lights then go out when cranking etc is semi reminding me it is something like the buried loom fuse
    ECU multi plug is pushed on fully is worth checking,

Rides
    i hadnt even thought of the main wiring fuse. good shout.

i have had the ecu multi plug on and off like 6 times.

i have the full pdf manual on my iPad will check where the main fuse is or find if i can meter over a cable to find if its blown

Rides
    Earthing the starter though the small gauge earth wires will have overheated them and may have burnt some out.

The easiest one to detect when it starts glowing is the braided earth above turbo dump pipe from head to bulkhead.

Running a proper earth wire from the battery to the front is also a good idea as you are using a lot of rusty chassis spot welds for the earth path.