Thread: Cheap Motorsport - Autograss

Rides

Cheap Motorsport - Autograss

I sold my S14 two years ago, but even when I had it, doing trackdays was an expensive hobby. Tyres and brake pads add up, after travelling and entry costs. My car was a daily driver too so I couldn't be reckless with it.

I'm now trying to think of the cheapest way to put pedal to the metal for fun.
    Autograss , has the most expensive part being a trailer.
    Something like a 1.3 Micra, caged and stripped out, glass removed, could be a lot of fun.

Does anyone else like the idea? I'm looking to share costs. There's time to get prepared for 2018 and loads of clubs and venues all over Yorkshire.

Rides
    from what I know about bubble shape micra's the 1.3 automatic engine is the most powerful and the 1.0 box has the shortest ratios, so you want to combine the two.

the facelift ones seem to suffer with airflow meter and throttle body problems so a preface lift is the better choice for simplicity. although they will still have NATS1 unless its a fairly early car.

they suffer with rust around the rear spring mounts which may be a 'show stopper' if you intend to smash it round a field all day.

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    If you were nearer the Black Country, I'd be all over this like a RASH! I'd want to make it a RWD vehicle though, even if that left the 'package' uncompetitive.
    Good luck with this, & keep us all informed & entertained.

Any one here in the West Midlands/Black Country up for a crack at this or something similar?

Rob.

Rides
    Autosprts show always has a large part of one of the halls dedicate to autograss and short oval. The various clubs and associations are on hand to recruit newbies too :-)

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Micras are pretty much bomb proof (Sunderland ships tend to be LOL) but I have been told you should change the timing chain as they have a habit of stretching

Rides
    Jon - look up Autosolo as well, this isn't door to door racing, but is very cheap, and you can do it in a standard car with no modifications at all, and still be in with a shout.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Good call. Autosolo/Sprints are held regularly by County auto clubs

Sent from something noisy and flashy in my paw using Tappytalk.

Rides
    I have done a load of Autosolo, and they're great fun

This is the sort of thing I am talking about:

https://youtu.be/9j_oUa4y-3Y
    https://youtu.be/uGofmK_jy9s

That place was a bit of a mad long course, they're not normally so complicated, and I probably got lost on that one making it longer - but still, it's good fun!