Thread: How badly does the Air Con rad effect cooling? Is it worth removing for a daily/road

Rides

How badly does the Air Con rad effect cooling? Is it worth removing for a daily/road

As title says. I’ve got an s14a, I bought it with a bust condenser and the guy gave me a brand new one with other bits to go on and get it to work, i took the ac out of my old 14 and missed it, so I would like to keep it. However if it really is essential to remove it for cooling purposes then I will, but does it actually effect it that much? So I’ll be running my large FMIC (brand new) new ac condenser, standard rad for now, will it be okay?

Also in the near future I’m planning on getting an alloy rad, with the twin fan shroud kit and removing the standard fan. Is it worth doing? (I don’t have a standard fan cowl)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    To be honest I didn’t think it improved the cooling much, more saving weight etc and I think you’ve answered your own question already if you missed it in your last one I’d keep it.

A lot of people run with out a fan cowl with no problems (I did for years with no issue) as far as electric fans go personally I wouldn’t bother, just leave viscous fan in there, maybe swap out for r33 or an updated one if you want a bit more cooling

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    To be honest I didn’t think it improved the cooling much, more saving weight etc and I think you’ve answered your own question already if you missed it in your last one I’d keep it.

A lot of people run with out a fan cowl with no problems (I did for years with no issue) as far as electric fans go personally I wouldn’t bother, just leave viscous fan in there, maybe swap out for r33 or an updated one if you want a bit more cooling

Cheers mate, I’ll be keeping it in then! My last one didn’t have a fan cowling and didn’t overheat, I’ll end up keeping the ac fan obviously, but may tap into it and put a manual switch on too (so I don’t have to run ac to get fan to go) I want to get a aftermarket coolant temp gauge too

Rides
    Best thing I’ve found is Evans waterless coolant instead, my mate started running it in his chaser with 1jz which is know for running hot and he can’t even get it up to 90 even on full wot

Rides
    Best thing I’ve found is Evans waterless coolant instead, my mate started running it in his chaser with 1jz which is know for running hot and he can’t even get it up to 90 even on full wot

Do you add that to de ionised water like that “water wettter” stuff? I’ll deffo look into that when I change the rad! Thanks a lot man. Any suggestions for a decent temp guage or where to look?

Rides
    No you remove all water from the system completely, to do it properly you actually flush the system with their cleaner then refill system with their coolant, so no rust, no high temps etc. If it’s an emergency you can top up with water but then it’s recommended you drain down and refill with just the coolant.

I’m a lover of Defi gauges, but that’s just my personal opinion

Rides
    No you remove all water from the system completely, to do it properly you actually flush the system with their cleaner then refill system with their coolant, so no rust, no high temps etc. If it’s an emergency you can top up with water but then it’s recommended you drain down and refill with just the coolant.

I’m a lover of Defi gauges, but that’s just my personal opinion

Sweet man I’ll deffo have a look into that. Thankyou! Yeah I was torn toward those, thing it will be them!

Rides
    I've known people to have issues running Evans coolant, SVA had issues on the TA car, as have others including the guy who looks after mine. Dumped it, gone back to normal water/glycol and ran fine again.

Personally I've dumped the AC, even when it was a daily. All of the under bonnet parts, still got the parts behind the dash.

I wouldn't bother with the Water Wetter either, may be as a stop gap, but it's only masking an issue that needs fixing.

Fan, as with a lot of people, is still on the standard setup, but using a GK-Tech fan. You need the shroud though imo, I've got a spare if you want it?

Gauges, Defi, great quality and peak hold etc. I've also used Stack Pro Control, but they're quite expensive now.