Thread: Fan controller + extra relays

Rides

Fan controller + extra relays

Hi all

I've got a mishimoto fan controller, but I think the 2 mishimoto fans I have will draw too much current for it. I want to add 2 relays, 1 for each fan, but in all honesty I'm shite with car electrics. Anyone done this or able to help me out with a wiring diagram?

Thanks

Sam

Rides
    https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram25.html

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Doesn't help, I know how a relay works, but the fan controller doesn't have a 'trigger' in the traditional sense, as it grounds the fan to start it.

Rides
    Is the fan controller pwm (variable speed)

If not run power to both relays and use the fan controller to switch both relays

https://goo.gl/images/tzhtSE

The only difference between 1 and 2 relays in your case is 2 wires to 86

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    That diagram is wrong. You should always connect ground to 85 and 12v to 86.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    Hi all

I've got a mishimoto fan controller, but I think the 2 mishimoto fans I have will draw too much current for it. I want to add 2 relays, 1 for each fan, but in all honesty I'm shite with car electrics. Anyone done this or able to help me out with a wiring diagram?

Thanks

Sam
    I've installed this kit on a mates r32 gtst and my own s14a and the controller runs them both okay, no blown fuses and no fires as of yet...

Rides
    If it grounds the fan to start it just put a perminant/ignition 12v onto one side of the coil (86)and your ground trigger to the other side of the coil(85)

You can either run 12v or ground through the main contacts doesn’t matter although it may confuse people if you run the ground through it

Do you have a wiring diagram for the controller ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    If it grounds the fan to start it just put a perminant/ignition 12v onto one side of the coil (86)and your ground trigger to the other side of the coil(85)

You can either run 12v or ground through the main contacts doesn’t matter although it may confuse people if you run the ground through it

https://cdn.mishimoto.com/media/prod...stallGuide.pdf

That's the link for the PDF of the installation guide w. the wiring diagram.

Regarding the power of the fans, go to the 12 inch slim fan on the mishimoto site and you can see that in the tech specs (https://mishimoto.com/media/addition...and-sizing.pdf) for the fan it only draws 80W, so around 6.7A . (80W/12V=6.666667A)

Rides
    I’d have no issue connecting up normal 80w fans to that but I know mishi do some big high power race fans so depends what he has

Rides
    I’d have no issue connecting up normal 80w fans to that but I know mishi do some big high power race fans so depends what he has
    Going by the ones that came with my kit I'd say they were the slim ones, but if he wants to run relays and be extra safe then it wont hurt.

Rides
    Just one more point for potential failure that all

Rides

Did this last night, 12v feed to fan, earth from fan to pin 30 and pin 85 to the trigger wire on the controller. Powers both perfectly, and they both earth through their own relays, so shouldn't have any issues.

Cheers for the input everyone

P.s I have the slim fans but one of them isn't great, think the bearing is ****ed or the motor is having issues, so I'll be getting the bigger fans they do soon, so wanted it set up properly from the start to make things easier to swap in future

Rides
    Fans draw a lot more current on startup, so it's not a bad thing to do it with 2 (3) relays...