Thread: Gearbox-propshaft leak

Rides

Gearbox-propshaft leak

Hiya
    Just wondering how hard it is to change the gearbox-propshaft oil seal and are they a common thing to go also what oil should I use?
    Many thanks

Rides
    It's pretty easy to do, I managed it without a ramp. Just make sure you got a big enough socket to hammer the new seal on. (Can't remember off the top of my head the size, but a search should dig it out).

Oil wise, I've always stuck with Nissan as thats what most on here recommend (part no. is on here).

Rides
    The Nissan oil now available is not the "recommanded one" anymore, it's a different type but same part no. If I remember correctly...

Rides
    Thanks for the info guys,how hard is it to remove the prop shaft from the gear box then ? Are these a common thing to leak?

Rides
    Might be worth checking the rubber gator for the shifter as mines split and is leaking but it leaks perfectly onto the rear output seal I’ve just ordered a new one from conceptua for not much money

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mattvaughan180 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys,how hard is it to remove the prop shaft from the gear box then ? Are these a common thing to leak?
    It just slides out, unbolt it from the car to give you the ability to do so. Just make sure you drop the oil first!

Pretty common, although as mentioned above check the gaitor rubber first

Rides
    Will need to unbolt from the diff which was a nightmare as you cant get a ring spanner in and a open kept slipping I trimmed the excess threads a little bit with the grinder to allow a ring spanner to fit

Rides
    No need to unbolt from the diff. Just unbolt the front part of the diff from the rear part... Much easier.

Rides
    Just watched a vid on YouTube and the guy unbolted the knuckle part of the prop shaft then pulled the short piece out of the gear box,I'm going to reverse the car onto car ramps then hopefully I won't loose any oil(if I do then fair enough) will check the rubber gaiter for the shifter,what oil is used now on theses gear boxes and how much is required??smells like ep80/90 that's dropped out of it. Thanks for all the help

Rides
    I used Mobil 1 mineral gl4 oil in my stock box.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    Might be worth checking the rubber gator for the shifter as mines split and is leaking but it leaks perfectly onto the rear output seal I’ve just ordered a new one from conceptua for not much money
    Update and thanks for the help it was the gear gaiter rubber was split and perished a good n,phoned conceptua and ordered up for £14:99 sorted and really helpful on the phone!!