Thread: S14a - Are these coilovers (from eBay) any good? Has anyone used them and can tell me

Rides

S14a - Are these coilovers (from eBay) any good? Has anyone used them and can tell me

Ok so I’m looking for coilovers for my 14, it’s not a track or drift car and won’t be thrashed to death down bumpy roads etc, just street/weekend driving. I want the damper adjustable so I can stiffen it up if I ever see a track, here’s a couple options I found on eBay!

32 levels Damper Coilover For Nissan S14 240SX 200SX Silvia Shock Absorber 5 https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/122732463433
    These are £470 seem good, has anyone used these?

for Nissan S14 Silva 200SX 240SX 94-98 Shocks 28-Steps Damper Coilovers SPUK https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322535967751
    These are £350 but I’ve seen a pair that look exact same for £600? link below—

28-Ways Damper Coilover for Nissan 240sx S14 95-98 Suspension Spring Strut shock https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/182739454458
    £600? Are they the same?

Any other options would be helpful, I really can’t afford more than £500 for a set, thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Apex and BC get my vote. Haven't and wouldn't use anything cheap off ebay. You'll also need adjustable arms if you plan on running any lower than stock ride height, which I'm guessing you are. Totally necessary in order to get the car re-aligned to a driveable state. Bushings also have a big effect on the car's handling characteristics and feel. Especially the rear subframe ones. Uprated ARB's (Anti Roll Bar) reduce roll significantly and will compliment the stiffer suspension. You might also want to consider Bump Steer and Roll Centre Correction BJ's to further improve the cars handling. You could just slap on some cheap coilovers, drop it like it's hawt (sorry) and blast it around like a loony but the car will feel worse than an iffy shopping trolley.

Rides
    HSD DT are 550 ish I think

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Apex and BC get my vote. Haven't and wouldn't use anything cheap off ebay. You'll also need adjustable arms if you plan on running any lower than stock ride height, which I'm guessing you are. Totally necessary in order to get the car re-aligned to a driveable state. Bushings also have a big effect on the car's handling characteristics and feel. Especially the rear subframe ones. Uprated ARB's (Anti Roll Bar) reduce roll significantly and will compliment the stiffer suspension. You might also want to consider Bump Steer and Roll Centre Correction BJ's to further improve the cars handling. You could just slap on some cheap coilovers, drop it like it's hawt (sorry) and blast it around like a loony but the car will feel worse than an iffy shopping trolley.
    I’ve used “cheap eBay” a few times and can’t say I’ve been that disappointed, but my expectations wasn’t at all high for the price of some stuff. By adjustable arms do you mean toe arms? I’ll be honest I’m not too great with the technical side of handling and component names, so if you could maybe tell me a list of “arms” I need so I can punch them in on the interweb, I’d really appreciate that!
    I have updated ARB’s, just fitted too! I don’t plan to poly bush anything on this car as my last 14 was horrible, I hate poly bushes!

Rides
    Better off getting a branded set second hand from here. Arms wise toe, camber and traction arms

Rides
    but most secondhand coilovers are seized up rusty junk.

Rides
    I’d rather save up for a decent brand than get second hand. Any suggestions where to get the arms from?

Rides
    Don't buy eBay coilovers, they'll be leaking and seized in no time. HSD DualTech's are £625 on Driftworks, they get my vote. Mine are 5 years old, done road and track miles, are still fully adjustable, no leaks, and work perfectly. Quality costs with coilovers.

Rides
    if your not in a rush I would wait to see if driftworks have a Christmas or new years sale and just buy a complete handling package off them. if your going low then you need all the rear suspension arms.

Rides

S14a - Are these coilovers (from eBay) any good? Has anyone used them and can tell me

I’ve heard hsd are good. Although I want adjustable dampening! To be fair I’m going to drop it like 25-40mm, so not super low as I still want it to be useable. Not going for stance, more track/race car look/usability.

I think I’m going to save up ready for Christmas deals, not a bad shout, thanks for that!

Rides
    I ran bc coilovers for two years.
    Worked fine.

My only issue is the spring rate i had was too high for my idea of comfort. Which is subjective and also depends on the use.

Go do some research on what you want. Spring rate is important.

Motive dvd did a suspension setup on an s14 which is worth a read.

Go get a ride in a few s14s with different spring rates so you know what to expect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
    I ran bc coilovers for two years.
    Worked fine.

My only issue is the spring rate i had was too high for my idea of comfort. Which is subjective and also depends on the use.

Go do some research on what you want. Spring rate is important.

Motive dvd did a suspension setup on an s14 which is worth a read.

Go get a ride in a few s14s with different spring rates so you know what to expect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    My last one had hsd, I don’t mind the stiffness, but I will deffo look into it. Trouble is the few people I know with 14’s are not ones I’d be going out in to test for comfort I’ll deffo look into spring rate beforehand now you’ve mentioned it, thankyou.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kcoles View Post
    I’ve heard hsd are good. Although I want adjustable dampening!
    HSD DualTech's have 14 stage Damping adjustment, MonoPro's 16.

Waiting for Christmas is a good shout, DW normally do some great deals, you'll probably get everything you need for a very good price

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    See Apex Performance trade section, they are offering brand new coilies for £500
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Thanks all. Probably going to wait until Christmas, gives me a chance to save up for absolutely everything in one hit then! Thanks again everyone!