Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mamba turbo? Any good? What’s required when upgrading from complete stock?

Rides

Mamba turbo? Any good? What’s required when upgrading from complete stock?

Here’s the turbo in question.

MAMBA Ball Bearing Turbo Nissan SR20DET 3" 5200 GT2871R w/ .64 T25 5-Bolt Hsg https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192283582889

I’ve seen people run them on different cars, and achieve some good figures, I’m just wondering if people run them on sr20’s and what are they like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    A genuine garrett gt2871 needs the following.

The following product(s) are tried and tested

https://h-dev.co.uk/product/s14s14a-...v=6cc98ba2045f

I know nothing of mamba products but a genuine garrett 2871 cant be much more extensive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kcoles View Post
    Here’s the turbo in question.

MAMBA Ball Bearing Turbo Nissan SR20DET 3" 5200 GT2871R w/ .64 T25 5-Bolt Hsg https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192283582889

I’ve seen people run them on different cars, and achieve some good figures, I’m just wondering if people run them on sr20’s and what are they like?

I bought a mamba gtx2863r but haven't got round to fitting it yet. As far as I'm aware, manna but the turbo core from Garrett but make there own compressor wheel and housings for it. The quality from what I've been able to look at is very good. Same with their own brand actuator which is a piston type instead of a diaphragm.
    Last time I looked for a genuine gt2871r it was supplied without an exhaust housing or actuator and was £1200

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    I bought a mamba gtx2863r but haven't got round to fitting it yet. As far as I'm aware, manna but the turbo core from Garrett but make there own compressor wheel and housings for it. The quality from what I've been able to look at is very good. Same with their own brand actuator which is a piston type instead of a diaphragm.
    Last time I looked for a genuine gt2871r it was supplied without an exhaust housing or actuator and was £1200

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I think I’m going with a mamba to be fair, I’ve heard good things on other cars and about the turbo in general. GreT value for money, I’m not that a “strictly garret” kind of guy

What sort of power are you expecting to get with the 2863r? What’s it limit? And is it direct bolt on or? Sorry for the 21 questions, might get the same

Rides
    Ok a genuine garett core is 100gbp price difference

Which can offset by the low cost of a hdev chip as opposed to dyno time.

Only reson im pointing this out again is its the well travelled route and you know what to expect.

I dont know what your experience will be like if you need your mamba fixed but I do know I can take a Garret unit locally

Rides
    If you're a bit more open minded you can have a look on www.turbozentrum.de
    At the moment they have 20% off everything instock.

https://www.turbozentrum.de/en/turbo...771847-1/a-77/

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
    Ok a genuine garett core is 100gbp price difference

Which can offset by the low cost of a hdev chip as opposed to dyno time.

Only reson im pointing this out again is its the well travelled route and you know what to expect.

I dont know what your experience will be like if you need your mamba fixed but I do know I can take a Garret unit locally

I’m going down a custom map route and won’t be going down the chipping route again, stage 1a on my last car was running 250 bhp at 1.3bar (fitted, set up and dyno’d by Horsham) which I wasn’t happy with, so I got my compression checked and had a healthy 145-152 across all 4 cylinders. So I’ll be getting a custom map and trying out a mamba, the car isn’t a daily so it’s not an issue having it off the road whilst the turbo gets fixed, if needs be.

Rides
    I’m going down a custom map route and won’t be going down the chipping route again, stage 1a on my last car was running 250 bhp at 1.3bar (fitted, set up and dyno’d by Horsham) which I wasn’t happy with, so I got my compression checked and had a healthy 145-152 across all 4 cylinders. So I’ll be getting a custom map and trying out a mamba, the car isn’t a daily so it’s not an issue having it off the road whilst the turbo gets fixed, if needs be.

That's weird. I thought stage 1a was supposed to be around that figure on less boost.

Mine is on 2a and 1.2 bar (18psi) and makes 300.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    That's weird. I thought stage 1a was supposed to be around that figure on less boost.

Mine is on 2a and 1.2 bar (18psi) and makes 300.

Yeah same dude, nothing against Horsham I just feel that chipping in general isn’t for me, every car is different so can’t guarantee decent power, and for not much more you can get a nistune board and mapped somewhere, custom to your car at the max you’ll get out of it, safely too! But that’s a good figure, bet you’re happy with that! What mods you running dude?

Rides
    Yeah same dude, nothing against Horsham I just feel that chipping in general isn’t for me, every car is different so can’t guarantee decent power, and for not much more you can get a nistune board and mapped somewhere, custom to your car at the max you’ll get out of it, safely too! But that’s a good figure, bet you’re happy with that! What mods you running dude?

Hey Man,

I see what you are saying. I am running as below:

Full stainless 3inch exhaust turbo back with decat. With HKS Silent from decat back.
    Apex Extreme exhaust manifold
    Apexi induction
    Apex type 2 FMIC
    HKS EVC 5. (Was running a 4 when I made 300 at Surrey rolling road)
    Walbro 255
    Colder plugs
    Nismo 555s
    Standard t28
    GFB recirc DV
    Forge Actuator

It's pretty much what Horsham ask for, to support a 2a.

At the time of fitting the 2a I had it rolling roaded at Horham and it made 286bhp and 300lbft on their rolling road. However it was April 2015 on a VERY hot day.

Also since then, my engine and boost system is 100% air tight as I had an issue which meant I chased every little boost leak I could find! Defo a worthwhile exercise.

Going to get on the roller again as when it made 301bhp at Surrey rolling road I was told the car was running super lean! I have changed the Lamda Sensor since then and replaced the walbro and AFR looks good!

Rides
    Supposedly Mamba was formed by one of the guys who ran Kinugawa turbo.
    They split over an argument about product quality, the guy wanting higher quality left to start Mamba.

Rides
    Hey Man,

I see what you are saying. I am running as below:

Full stainless 3inch exhaust turbo back with decat. With HKS Silent from decat back.
    Apex Extreme exhaust manifold
    Apexi induction
    Apex type 2 FMIC
    HKS EVC 5. (Was running a 4 when I made 300 at Surrey rolling road)
    Walbro 255
    Colder plugs
    Nismo 555s
    Standard t28
    GFB recirc DV
    Forge Actuator

It's pretty much what Horsham ask for, to support a 2a.

At the time of fitting the 2a I had it rolling roaded at Horham and it made 286bhp and 300lbft on their rolling road. However it was April 2015 on a VERY hot day.

Also since then, my engine and boost system is 100% air tight as I had an issue which meant I chased every little boost leak I could find! Defo a worthwhile exercise.

Going to get on the roller again as when it made 301bhp at Surrey rolling road I was told the car was running super lean! I have changed the Lamda Sensor since then and replaced the walbro and AFR looks good!

Fair enough mate, similar spec to what I’m after, although wanting a little more, 350bhp would do me fine. Hence why I’m after a bigger turbo! I’ll be replacing all hoses on the car before any mapping too, so that’s one worry out the way! Thanks for the info bud✌️

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Supposedly Mamba was formed by one of the guys who ran Kinugawa turbo.
    They split over an argument about product quality, the guy wanting higher quality left to start Mamba.
    That’s sweet man, like I said I’ve hear of a lot of people using mamba with no issues, so I think mamba will be getting an order from me ASAP!

Rides
    Fair enough mate, similar spec to what I’m after, although wanting a little more, 350bhp would do me fine. Hence why I’m after a bigger turbo! I’ll be replacing all hoses on the car before any mapping too, so that’s one worry out the way! Thanks for the info bud

Welcome mate. I forgot to mention I have a excedy organic clutch. All you need for 350bhp is a paddle clutch, z32afm and bigger injectors.

Rides
    I am looking at these turbo's now.lol as I will be going for around 360bhp.
    Using 740cc injectors and power fc. Plus all the usual supporting mods

Rides
    Welcome mate. I forgot to mention I have a excedy organic clutch. All you need for 350bhp is a paddle clutch, z32afm and bigger injectors.

So do I need the turbo to hit 350? A lot are saying standard turbo limits to 300ish?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shane_evans View Post
    I am looking at these turbo's now.lol as I will be going for around 360bhp.
    Using 740cc injectors and power fc. Plus all the usual supporting mods
    I’ve heard loads of good reviews about mamba now mate, I’d deffo suggest one, I’ll be getting one once the Christmas shopping is out the way! I’m debating getting 740cc now, hmmm

Rides
    http://www.jdmgarageuk.com/nissan-20...-new-unit.html

Buying the real deal for £50 more has to be a no brainer surely?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sprint View Post
    http://www.jdmgarageuk.com/nissan-20...-new-unit.html

Buying the real deal for £50 more has to be a no brainer surely?
    Well yeah if it’s only £50 so what else would I need to buy after buying the Garret one in your link? I’m unsure as I’ve never gone as far as upgrading a turbo on my old sx...

Rides
    Braided lines would be nice.

But crush washers for banjos and a stud or two in case you break exhaust or manifold studs.

Lock washers are a sensible idea and new gaskets.

Oil reatrictor