Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apex coilovers - 40% discount - £509.40 a set - when theyve gone theyve gone

Rides

Apex coilovers - 40% discount - £509.40 a set - when theyve gone theyve gone

These are on the clearance list but theyre worthy of their own thread. Have copied and pasted some old blurb on the kits below.

We have the following to clear with 40% discount, retail price £849, clearance price £509.40. £9.20 UK carriage.

Give us a ring on 01274 683633 to order.

S13 Limo 4/3kg.mm - 2 sets SOLD
    S14 Limo 4/3kg.mm - 2 sets - 1 set left
    S13 Comfy 5/4kg.mm - 2 sets - SOLD
    S14 Comfy 5/4kg.mm - 3 sets - 2 sets left
    S14 6/5kg.mm - 1 set
    S13 8/6kg.mm - 1 set

This includes the lastest and greatest Apex Limo coilovers. These were designed for customers who drive on lumpy bumpy back roads as found in rural Ireland, Wales throughout the Yorkshire Dales etc. They use longer dampers and damper travel than any other Apex kit with softer valving and softer springs.

Lots of info on the Limo kits below.

Note that as the coilovers go up in spring rate so does the damping rate so the jumps are bigger than the spring rate alone suggests. Choose on that basis, dont think a 5/4kg.mm Comfy kit is virtually the same as the 6/5kg.mm kit, theres nore than 1kg.mm to the difference.

Our complete range of normal coilovers is:

Apex 4/3kg.mm Limo - for nasty roads, will cope with occasional track use
    Apex 5/4kg.mm Comfy - for normal roads retaining a high degree if usability whilst being more than happy on track
    Apex 6/5kg.mm - more serious fast road and track set up
    Apex 8/6kg.mm - we are staring to get into dedicated drift car or damm serious fast road and track set up

Gen 2:

New damper units with a wider range of adjustment
    Integrated bearing in front spring top platform to prevent spring binding and smooth out steering
    Lightweight bottom mounts to reduce unsprung weight
    30 way click damping adjustable
    Modular design allows easy and cost effective servicing
    Various springs rates available, easy to change
    Spring platform adjustable for corner weight adjustment
    Ride height adjustable through bottom mount to retain full damper travel
    Ultra reliable brand, very low damper failure rates with full warrenty and after sales back up
    Pillowball front top mounts
    Camber adjustable front top mounts
    Rubber centred rear top mount for ultimate refinement
    Last edited by bren; 03-11-2017 at 15:47.

Rides
    Limo coilovers:

We have noticed that there are multiple customers who spend a lot of their driving time on roads that are causing issues with the currently available suspension options.

Id like to introduce you to the latest and greatest Apex coilover kit, the Limo:

We do already offer a coilover kit that is extremely supple when judged against offering from the rest of the coilover suppliers, the Apex Comfys with 5/4kg.mm spring rates. It is also compared favourably with after market spring and KYB combinations where customer have reported the swap from KYB and spring to Apex Comfys to actually improve ride quality as well as offering a much greater adjustability and massive improvement in handling.

However there are still customers out there who require a more supple set up that even our Comfys offer. This is where the Limo kit comes in. There are customers whos driving experience incorporates either extremely poor quality road surfaces or lumpy bumpy, twisty country roads. Such roads require another step forward in terms of damping and spring rate.

Roads like this. This was on the way to a rally day in darkest Wales. I was in a Jag which did suprisingly well as the supple ride wasnt phased by the undulating road surface. Which is what the Limo kit is designed to replicate, but not to the same extent as the Jag.

What did we do to spec the Limo kit? How does it differ from other coilovers?

There are two basic factors to designing a coilover kit. The first is the damping rate and the second is spring rate.

Damping rate

The damping rate is determined by two things, the curve and the overall rate. The damping rate and chacteristics have a huge impact on the ride quality of the kit, its not all down to spring rate.

The reason lots of coilovers feature hard damping rates is because the harder the rate the slower the body roll so the smaller the geometry changes cause by roll and so the better the car ultimately handles and the higher the grip level with less static camber being necessary. However this is applicable for smooth surfaces only. The rougher the surface the slower the car will became because the wheels start losing their contact with the tarmac reducing control and grip thus forcing the driver to back off to avoid being punted unto a hedge.

A softer car is also more forgiving at the limit than a stiffly set up car making the car easier to drive.

For the Limo kit we wanted dampers that werent going to transmit road surface changes, pothole impacts and undulations straight through to the cabin so it needed to be specced with a mild damping rate to allow piston travel as opposed to a harder damping rate that restricts piston travel and so forces impacts and road surface impections directly through to the shell and so its occupants.

The softer damping rate allows greater total piston travel than with a more highly damped unit so the total piston travel needs to be increased to prevent the strut constantly hitting the bump stop. The bump stop should not be relied on to control travel, hitting the bump stop whilst turning into a corner prematurely stops body roll and unsettles the car.

This means that to go along with the softer damping rate we also had to increase total damper travel within the Limo kit.

Spring rate

Spring rate determines the cars ultimate angle of lean mid corner, the higher the spring rate the less the body will roll. The less the body rolls the less the alignment changes and the better the handling and grip levels.

However the higher the spring rate the more road impefections and distortions are transmitted into the shell so reducing ride quality.

The Limo kit was therefore specced with 4kg.mm front and 3kg.mm rear spring rates. this compares to our prevously softer kit, the Apex Comfys, spring rate of 5/4kg.mm and our fast road track kits rates of 6/5kg.mm. We do of course supply hgiher rates kits, right upto 18/16kg.mm and higher. All of our kits feature damping rates and damper travel matched to the spring rate. We dont just swap springs on a damper and kick the kit out of the door.

One issue that arises with softer springs is that the car will natuarlly sit lower as the spring compresses more than a higher rated one. This leads to more static sag which does two things that need dealing with when the kit is designed:

1) It uses up damper travel which mean you need more travel in the first instance to avoid hitting the bump stops. This is extra travel in addition to the travel dialed in to accomodate the softer damping as explained above.

2) The greater static sag means the car sits lower so if a 6/5kg.mm kit will run upto standard ride height a 4/3kg.mm kit is going to sit 35mm lower even at maximum height, all other things being equal. To ensure the correct range of ride height adustment we have to make the threaded damper bodies longer.

You can clearly see the above info in action with the pictures below. They show an Apex 6/5kg.mm front and rear damper against the new Limo kits front and rear dampers. Note both the longer threaded damper body and also the longer damper rod.

Although the Limo kit isnt designed specifically for track work it is designed to be competant on the occasional track day and trip to the Ring, its not like you wont be wizzing round other cars on track with them fitted

The Limo kit features all the same great functionaility and durability as found in all the Apex coilover kits including:

New damper units with a wider range of adjustment
    Integrated bearing in front spring top platform to prevent spring binding and smooth out steering
    Lightweight bottom mounts to reduce unsprung weight
    30 way click damping adjustable
    Modular design allows easy and cost effective servicing
    Various springs rates available, easy to change
    Spring platform adjustable for corner weight adjustment
    Ride height adjustable through bottom mount to retain full damper travel
    Ultra reliable brand, very low damper failure rates with full warrenty and after sales back up
    Pillowball front top mounts
    Camber adjustable front top mounts
    Rubber centred rear top mount for ultimate refinement

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Still takings credit cards?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Still takings credit cards?
    I paid by cc last week mate

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Hmm. Been thinking of getting softer coilovers for a while to make the car useable again. Hmm
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Credit card, debit card, Paypal, bank transfer, cash

Rides
    These are a bargain! Cheaper than when I bought my limos in the GB!! And that's with about 8 years of inflation! Good deal I say

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    This is a genuine clearance sale, once theyve gone we wont be ordering more and if by some miracle we did then they absolutely wouldnt be at that price.

Support will be on going though so should you need any parts down the line then all spares will be available as we still deal with the factory on a daily basis.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    These are a bargain! Cheaper than when I bought my limos in the GB!! And that's with about 8 years of inflation! Good deal I say

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Theyre a very very good price. Im still amazed at the lack of interest in the sale list, guess the 200 markets deflated a lot since I was last involved. Shame, theyre great cars

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Will give you guys a call in the morning

Rides
    My bits arrived yesterday too, cheers Bren/James for the quick service.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Hmm. Been thinking of getting softer coilovers for a while to make the car useable again. Hmm
    My thoughts too so I treated myself.

Rides
    Hello, do you happen to have a set of just the fronts for an s13? My brother is converting his 1972 toyota carina to s13 front suspension

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Bren, awesome prices, cheaper than the group buy years back!!!

I need a new rear dampener/ strut (I think) as the dampener adjuster on one of mine keeps on spinning. Are you able to still get these, and if so how much? (Gen 2 comfy s14).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    My bits arrived yesterday too, cheers Bren/James for the quick service.

My thoughts too so I treated myself.
    No problem

Quote Originally Posted by liamjrhodes View Post
    Hello, do you happen to have a set of just the fronts for an s13? My brother is converting his 1972 toyota carina to s13 front suspension

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    No, sorry, complete kits only.

Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    Bren, awesome prices, cheaper than the group buy years back!!!

I need a new rear dampener/ strut (I think) as the dampener adjuster on one of mine keeps on spinning. Are you able to still get these, and if so how much? (Gen 2 comfy s14).
    Are you sure the knob hasnt just wound off the damper top? The adjuster screws on, when they unscrew it lifts the allan section out of the damper internals so when you turn the knob the knob doesnt adjust the internals.

New dampers are £99.

Rides
    Sorry to have to ask here but what preload should i put on my new apex coilovers?

Rides
    3-5mm

Rides
    I ordered a set of coilovers yesterday and they arrived at 10am this morning. Many thanks.

Should I be running these on fully soft to begin with and if so for how long please?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    3-5mm
    Thank you

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    I ordered a set of coilovers yesterday and they arrived at 10am this morning. Many thanks.

Should I be running these on fully soft to begin with and if so for how long please?
    I'd start with 10 clicks from full soft all round and adjust to suit your taste. They don't need running in.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    I'd start with 10 clicks from full soft all round and adjust to suit your taste. They don't need running in.
    Ok perfect thanks for letting me know