Thread: Hello from somewhere near Cambridge

Rides

Hello from somewhere near Cambridge

Hi all,

I've recently moved to a town near Cambridge and after appreciating an ex-coworker's s14a, decided to get on the wagon! Being a sucker for pop up headlights, I went for a UK S13

It needs a few bits doing to it which I'll try and do myself despite not being the best with a spanner (I work in IT) and hopefully get it to some shows next year.

I've used this site a lot in preparation before buying, so it feels right to join the community.

Hope to see some of you soon!
    Last edited by tripp; 17-11-2017 at 16:31.

Rides
    Welcome along dude! Did you do a little exploration on the underside before buying?

Rides
    Welcome mate

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Welcome along mate
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Thanks for the welcome messages

I had a quick poke around of the underside and it seems all good. I haven't had it up on ramps to see properly yet though. I have seen some photos from the last owner who stripped it back and did lots of work on it though and it all looks good. It had been dry stored for a number of years so hopefully rust won't be an issue.

There are just a few niggly bits to sort, like the front indicators, leaky rocker cover and I want to make the interior nice and tidy.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post

There are just a few niggly bits to sort
    And after going slowly around a roundabout, my welded diff became an open diff (I think... parking became a lot easier ). I'm glad I was taking it steady

Rides
    throw it away and buy a new diff then. sounds like its been welded by a numpty.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Hi dude, I live in Linton so will keep an eye out for you

If you need any tech advice then give me a shout, I know these things rather well and youll be the third person in about a week thats randomly appeared on my doorstep
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Thanks! It's good to know there is someone nearby. It will probably be off the road for a while now as I learn how to sort a few bits out. It will probably take me so much longer to do stuff while I learn how to use a spanner I'll pull out the diff if I have time and see what it is like in there, just have to hope I can get it home tonight.

Rides
    diff is easy enough to remove,
    jack the rear of the car up. put the handbrake on/stick it in gear.
    remove prop shaft bolts.
    remove drive shaft bolts you can access. then take handbrake off and rotate wheels till you can access/remove all other bolts.
    compress drive shafts and push CV joints up ontop of diff,
    unplug any sensors/pipes
    put jack under diff and remove 6 mounting bolts. 2@ front 4@rear.
    shove diff forward and lower on jack. watch when it catches on the anti roll bar.

Rides
    I drained the oil and there were metal shards in it which isn't a good sign. I've got all the diff bolts off apart from the front two mounts. They are just too stiff, any tips on how to remove them? The car is on axle stands so it is hard to get much leverage

Rides
    Nevermind, got them

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    I drained the oil and there were metal shards in it which isn't a good sign. I've got all the diff bolts off apart from the front two mounts. They are just too stiff, any tips on how to remove them? The car is on axle stands so it is hard to get much leverage
    Big dirty impact gun? Or try shock the bolts by getting a spanner on them and giving the other end of the spanner a good wack, has worked for me on all the suspension bolts I've touched(Don't use the open end of the spanner as you'll round the bolt). Could possibly heat the bolt up with a blowtorch which might help release it.

Rides
    Welcome bud. I also live in SW so I’ll keep an eye out for you.

Rides
    F*** it is cold outside But the diff is off... seems like some of it is still welded though, both wheels turned the same by hand and it hasn't imploded in the casing. Here are the welds

Is this diff still usable with it re-welded or should it just be replaced?

Definitely didn't manage to get as much done as I'd hoped today, its just too cold outside. Thank you for all the tips, wouldn't have tried it without them

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dread View Post
    Welcome bud. I also live in SW so I’ll keep an eye out for you.
    Thanks I'll be in a banger Impreza wagon non-turbo for foreseeable future

Rides
    I went to pick up a diff from someone local, turned out to be a drift team! Really helpful guy. It is in and the car drives very nicely on the road now (I put in a VLSD for now). The next steps are: Rear tyres, fixing number plates to make them legal, try to source front indicators to fit the kouki bumper , get the exhaust quieter for track days and to stop it from hitting the bumper. Tow straps and a gear gaiter arrived which will be sorted too. The car is also a bit too low, so I'll raise it up but it is also a tad too stiff so I may need some different coilovers after Christmas, as I'm sure my family don't want used car parts for presents