Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drink Driving

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Yep just trying to arm you with as many facts as possible to help you make the best decision for you. I know if I couldn't get insured on the SX for a few years I'd store it in a garage unless someone else could benefit from it.

As post 18 said, check out your insurance will pay out, if you are liable yourself you probably don't want that expensive insurance body shop repairing the car, you may want to find somewhere else yourself.
    Body shop is a family friend so all good there. No insurance won’t pay out. But costs are coming down.

Don’t need the seat replacing (can get a new airbag module and restitch.

Airbag ECUs do not need replacing. Can get them reprogrammed. That’s nearly £4K off the cost

I’m feeling a lot better about the cost of repair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Sounds like you have done a lot of research and making good progress.

I can understand the insurance not paying out after you drive home after drinking, but it seems a harsh outcome for 12 hours after the event, leaving it 12 hours sounds reasonable behaviour to me.

Nismo bumper looks great.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Sounds like you have done a lot of research and making good progress.

I can understand the insurance not paying out after you drive home after drinking, but it seems a harsh outcome for 12 hours after the event, leaving it 12 hours sounds reasonable behaviour to me.

Nismo bumper looks great.
    Thanks mate. Admittedly I did have a bit of a skinful the night before. You live and learn

I have been doing a lot of research. Managed to get the entire 370z Diagnostics manual last night. 3000 or so pages, contains all the reset methods etc.

Just taking my time researching and going to do it properly but level headed. It’s the best car I’ve owned and wasn’t the car’s fault I had a prang

Rides
    Whats the deal with the airbag ECUs?

They're not fried but need reprogramming??
    Seems like an intentionally shit design to just make money selling them to people who've had a crash??

Rides

Drink Driving

Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Whats the deal with the airbag ECUs?

They're not fried but need reprogramming??
    Seems like an intentionally shit design to just make money selling them to people who've had a crash??
    Nissan typically say they are a “Use once” module and are pretty expensive. Produced by SRS. There are companies that effectively factory reset them deleting the crash data.

If you don’t do this, the warning lights stay on. The main ECU sits in limp home mode... as you say. Repairing cars is simply another word for fleecing the customer

Rides
    It's a total joke really.

"Use once item" when what they really mean is that it needs the cache clearing out

Rides
    generally if the air bags have gone off then the car is knackered.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    generally if the air bags have gone off then the car is knackered.
    The side airbags deployed when the car hit the curb.

The bonnet goes off at 10mph.

The steering and passenger dash airbags did not deploy

Rides
    Sorry to hear this Ash.

Your metabolism has a large part to play in how quickly you can shed the alcohol in your system, size and water content also play a part too.
    I am one to admit I have driven the morning after a bender and I have questioned whether I should and other times I have felt fine, but probably on most occasions I could be over the limit.

If I do drink, I ensure that I don't need to drive until the afternoon the day after. To an average drinker, a good theory is to stop drinking 12hrs before you need to drive. In that time, drink plenty of water and eat.
    I don't know how accurate this is, but they say the average body needs 1hr to break down 2 units of alcohol (one pint).

Rides
    15 hrs is the average time alcohol stays in your system so it's possible to have a few on a night out, drive to work lower than the limit. Have a pint with your lunch & then be over the limit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    I don't know how accurate this is, but they say the average body needs 1hr to break down 2 units of alcohol (one pint).
    It's 1 hour to break down 1 unit, and there are 3 units in a pint of 5% larger.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    It's 1 hour to break down 1 unit, and there are 3 units in a pint of 5% larger.
    Takes me about 6 months to clear out all the booze from a major bender nowadays. Getting old, used to be able to do 4 nights in a row, cant even do 40mins without going for a piddle now.

Rides
    Once you break the seal...

Rides
    So an update.

I went to court on Monday, had the book thrown at me. 22 Month ban and £2,400 fine. I can do a course that reduces the ban by 6 months, so will take them up on that offer.

Nismo Bodykit has been ordered. Quite surprised at the price. Went to Glyn Hopkin Romford as it is a Nismo agent and got the whole lot for £1,700. Includes all the additional parts you need to fit (Arch liners, undertray are different etc)

So just need bonnet, bonnet rams, hinges, sensors, slam panel, front bumper brace bar, near side headlight, airbags for passenger side) Oh and wheels...

And since I have 18 months to do it all. I’m thinking of sending the headlights to clear corners for their LED conversion

It’s an expensive lesson

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Is two years about average then? Sounds like you hit the car quite hard from your repair list
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    22 months?

Sounds quite harsh, maybe because you crashed while over the limit?
    I thought 12 months was more the norm.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Is two years about average then? Sounds like you hit the car quite hard from your repair list
    Not really. About 10mph

Slam panel is damaged from the pop up bonnet deploying as is headlight.

Rides
    that does sound like an excessive penalty. Im sure they look at the style of car, see a young guy, stereotype and then make their decision.

On the subject of the airbag ECU i had the same thing in my 206 gti many years ago. A company called BBA Reman based in rochester reprogrammed it for £70 posted I think, worth going to if you still need it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm_virgin View Post
    that does sound like an excessive penalty. Im sure they look at the style of car, see a young guy, stereotype and then make their decision.

On the subject of the airbag ECU i had the same thing in my 206 gti many years ago. A company called BBA Reman based in rochester reprogrammed it for £70 posted I think, worth going to if you still need it.
    Yep that’s what I’m doing.

I’m not so young. Magistrate was clearly in a bad mood though

Rides
    Can you appeal these things though, like on the basis the sentence was abit harsh compared to normal?