Thread: Connecting a Link ECU to a phone or tablet

Rides

Connecting a Link ECU to a phone or tablet

Although I've done this on my R33 skyline as the S14 is running a Horsham chip, I figured I'd post here too just in case anyone is interested...

So I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I kept finding pages and threads across the net saying it can't be done, but never explaining why.

There must be threads somewhere explaining this but they seem quite hidden between the ones saying it can't be done.

I didn't see why it wouldn't work, so I bought the relevant parts, and it's working!!

Here is the Dash Command app on my phone along with the Link software on the laptop for reference

I posted this up on facebook and got a few questions, so here's what I did, all in a handy-to-save image...

Then all that was needed was to change the CAN setup on the ECU to these settings

For some reason the 1mbit transfer wouldn't connect, so i knocked it down to 500kbit

and there you go, wireless digital dashboard

Rides
    Erm Boss mode engaged!

I was thinking about doing this once I bite the bullet on an ecu. My only reservation was start up time for the tablet or whether in effect you just leave it turned on and let it charge when the car is running. Alternatively run it via a separate power control circuit that detects voltage drop so works on a demand bases...
    What’s the functionality like compared to a laptop?

Rides
    Good stuff
    Added on my list of things to do, very handy!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shikari chaos View Post
    Erm Boss mode engaged!

I was thinking about doing this once I bite the bullet on an ecu. My only reservation was start up time for the tablet or whether in effect you just leave it turned on and let it charge when the car is running. Alternatively run it via a separate power control circuit that detects voltage drop so works on a demand bases...
    What’s the functionality like compared to a laptop?
    I've heard there are some Android tweaks that can make a tablet 'sleep' when there's no power to the charging port and 'wake' when there's us which may be ideal but I've not had that luxury yet myself

As far as functionality goes, you can see anything your ECU can see, albeit at a slightly delayed rate, but I think that's expected to a degree. Looks and actual functionality will depend on the app you use, but there's no way to edit the ECU settings this way