Thread: S14 Died whilst driving and now wont start up

Rides

S14 Died whilst driving and now wont start up

So the other night I was driving my 1994 S14 and suddenly the engine cut out whilst driving down a hill and wouldn't start again. As I was on a hill I tried to bump it but nothing. I pulled over and had a quick look and noticed that the fuel pump was no longer priming when switching on. The following day I did some further investigation and checked continuity on all of fuses (in the fuse box in the engine bay and in the footwell) I also confirmed that the fual pump relay was working by powering it up and checking the continuity. The fuel pump will run if it is connected to the power directly or if the relay is bypassed so I know the pump itself is not the problem. I have also now bypassed the NATS system to ensure the immobiliser is not the issue but still nothing. Also if I bypass the relay to get the pump running the car still will not start and now I am completely out of ideas. I'm currently getting the car recovered back to my workshop so that I can take a proper look.

long story short:

1994 S14 won't start, fuel pump doesn't primp and the issue is not the pump, relays, fuses or the immobiliser. Car won't start even with the pump running (bypassed pump relay)

The car has an SR20DET currently running a fairly stock setup.

Any help would be appreciated
    Brendan

Rides
    Have you checked for sparks at plugs?, it all seems like fuel related problem with the pump not priming,
    but the pump getting power but still not starting is strange,like something else died at same time as loosing fuel pump live power
    has the CAS been moved recently or the loom is dangling and possible broken a wire to the CAS? no injectors and/or no sparky
    just thinking its cas related for some reason, and the injectors ain't firing, sorry in advance and that's a bum steer
    I vaguely recall there is a chip in the ecu that can die and fuel pump looses power

Rides
    I Haven't actually checked for spark just yet but I did find yesterday that I don't seem to be getting any power at the CAS. The Harness visually appears to be OK but I'll check for continuity on each of the cables when I get chance and I'll check for spark as well

Thanks,
    Brendan

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hayell View Post
    I Haven't actually checked for spark just yet but I did find yesterday that I don't seem to be getting any power at the CAS. The Harness visually appears to be OK but I'll check for continuity on each of the cables when I get chance and I'll check for spark as well

Thanks,
    Brendan
    double check the loom in the offside front arch incase the wheel had rubbed through, its common and might possible explain it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lux1 View Post
    double check the loom in the offside front arch incase the wheel had rubbed through, its common and might possible explain it
    good call,if the cars lowered plus bigger wheels deffo worth checking for any loom rub through marks,
    another possible is the ecu multi-plug is not fully pushed on squarely to the ecu and some terminals are not contacting properly

Rides
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I checked the wheel well harness but there is no wear unfortunately. I have discover what may well be the problem!

Every one of the ECU's 12V pins (as well as the CAS and a few other things) currently have a direct continuity to ground and the engine control fuse has blown (not sure how I missed it on my first round of checking fuses). So that is likely the problem but where the short is or what is causing it I have no idea, any thoughts?

It's not the ecu itself as its currently disconnected and still got a direct short.

Thanks in advance,
    Brendan

Rides
    yea engine fuse will cause no power and no start. An alternator going bad can cause the alternator fuse to go but that doesnt explain the fuse that blew on yours. Replace the fuse and see if it happens again. Unless water has leaked into someone causing it to go. Glad you found the fuse though

Rides
    I finally got this sorted last night! I chucked another fuse in which blew so I ended up pulling the dash out so that I could check the harnesses and disconnect everything. Eventually I found that the problem was on the harness in the engine bay and a couple of the wires coming off the harness under the ABS pump had melted/deteriorated and we're shorted either together or against the body of the car. So fixed that and replaced the fuse and got it running again.

Cheers for the help,
    Brendan

Rides
    Good effort, that's a lot of wire tracing!

Rides
    awesome glad you fixed!