Thread: S13 vs S14 stub axles

Rides

S13 vs S14 stub axles

I’m changing the bearings/hubs on my S13 and I bought some hubs off a guy on here who said they were off an S14

Whilst watching a video on replacing the bearing (one of the fronts was shot), I noticed that he mentioned S13 and S14 having a different diameter on the stub axle shaft... is this true?

I’ll need to buy another front bearing if that’s the case and change them both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    s14 front wheel bearings don't fit on s13's and vice versa. otherwise people would just swap them over when going 5 sud hubs and not swap the whole upright

Rides
    S13 stub axle is a smaller diameter than the s14 one.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    s14 front wheel bearings don't fit on s13's and vice versa. otherwise people would just swap them over when going 5 sud hubs and not swap the whole upright
    Shit... that was my plan

Are the rear’s the same? If I were to just fit some S13 bearings into the hub flanges would that counter the problem? One of bearings is shot anyway and missing an inner race so I need to replace that one anyway

Rides
    dunno about the rears, secondhand whole assemblies are cheap as chips so I would never mess around and just buy the whole lot.

Rides
    I would if I hadn’t already bought the hubs! I’ll order a second bearing

Rides
    I bought some s14 rear bearings off the same guy I would imagine (Mish) and got them pressed into new bearings at the weekend. My 13 rear driftshafts fit lovely, they slide in and out exactly the same as the 13 ones. I can recheck on Sunday if you want?

Rides
    rears are a straight swap,its the fronts due to stub axle diameter that can't swap over,
    the 13 upright stub axle can flex in a trackday grippy tyres hard corner situation,that causes brake pad knock off
    so first press of the brake pedal it sinks a long way down or too the flour ,stiffer stub axle,no flex = no pad knock off
    a good upgrade imo if plan to do any track days etc, so not all bad

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    rears are a straight swap,its the fronts due to stub axle diameter that can't swap over,
    the 13 upright stub axle can flex in a trackday grippy tyres hard corner situation,that causes brake pad knock off
    so first press of the brake pedal it sinks a long way down or too the flour ,stiffer stub axle,no flex = no pad knock off
    a good upgrade imo if plan to do any track days etc, so not all bad
    Well I’ll buy a second bearing so I can fit the ones I’ve got but that’s for that info! It’s gonna get used a little bit on track and mostly for drifting

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by klone View Post
    I bought some s14 rear bearings off the same guy I would imagine (Mish) and got them pressed into new bearings at the weekend. My 13 rear driftshafts fit lovely, they slide in and out exactly the same as the 13 ones. I can recheck on Sunday if you want?
    Yes please if you could mate!

Right new question... can you change the bearings in S14 hub flanges as I can’t get this one out at all

Rides
    The S14 ones aren't designed to have the bearing replaced, I don't even think you can buy them separately.

Rides
    weld a bit of flat bar across the outer bearing race and tap it out from the other side when its still hot.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    The S14 ones aren't designed to have the bearing replaced, I don't even think you can buy them separately.
    Ahhh shit... well looks like it’s new hubs from America...