Thread: Rusty Chassis Rails

Rides

Rusty Chassis Rails

Hi All,

Spent the morning reading through the search topics but im still confused and concerned.

My chassis rails are starting to rust if you look through the drain holes in them - they look double skinned which doesn't help. Also being an ex drifter the muppets before jacked on them so they are dented to all hell. I am looking to fix this and I don't really know the right way. I have considered cutting the bottom of the rails off which looks to be the rusty parts... treating inside and then welding new metal on.

This then presents a new issue in how to keep the car from twisting when I do this etc.

Any ideas or tips/tricks? I cant just leave them! haha

Rides
    You are right a section of the legs is double skinned, then where they meet the inner front arches they are triple skinned in one area.

I done some repairs here http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...the-road/page5 not the prettiest but solid and i double skinned the outside to create a jacking point rather than the inside.

You won't get any chassis movement unless you intend on cutting the whole thing out.

Rides
    cheers pointz.

I had intended on cutting the whole thing out as its pretty battered. you can see it in my build thread (http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?5...-Drift-Missile)

I could do it in sections I suppose but it wouldn't be ideal.

Rides
    you should be fairly ok cutting 1 chassis rail off at a time providing you have the car supported sensibly and keep the doors shut to avoid twisting.

you could tack in a length of box inside the car above the chassis rail then cut it out after you have put the new rails on.

Rides
    Thanks Green, the car is currently being supported by a two poster ramp. I did think about doing one side at a time to help.

keep any more ideas coming

Rides
    TBH I would roll it on its side.

Rides
    There is a lot of useful info in this area on petrol s recent S13 build thread including pics of the chassis sections iirc

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    I'm hoping that my site might help anyone looking for pics of chassis repairs or panel repairs. Hope this is fine to post here.
    If anyone could share the links that would be great as i want the images to be helpful to folk.

Please can anyone interested in seeing how to repair rusted S body chassis etc visit https://www.rustys13.com/s13-restoration

Edit - Just remembered I've made some slideshow videos of most of the repairs too - My YouTube Channel is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChq...rMVKxLevpKvXyg

The site's still in progress but I've just finished adding all the main bodywork images.
    If anyone needs other pics not on the site already I can look and see what I've got.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Nize; 26-02-2018 at 20:56.

Rides
    Top stuff that man