Thread: Swirl Pot install on CA18DET

Rides

Swirl Pot install on CA18DET

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on installing a swirl pot as I'm getting a little detonation on quick acceleration and cornering, I've been told to put an inline low pressure fuel pump from the tank to the pot then a high pressure pump from the pot to the engine, is this correct?

What capacity pot should I be looking at? I was thinking 1.5lt but if I can get away with a 1lt that would be good.

Cheers

Dom

Rides
    You'd need to be running a lot of power and have some pretty amazing handling to need to go to that trouble IMO.

Generally, hardwiring the pump, fitting a 255 Walbro and not running the tank empty when on track would be enough for most applications.

The tank has a naturally baffled area that the pump sits in anyway.

Rides
    You need a surge pot over 400bhp im told.

Theres a million diagrams on google.

Low pressure pick up pump in the tank, into surge/swirl pot. High pressure external pump to the front.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsauce View Post
    You need a surge pot over 400bhp im told.
    by who?
    and for what application?

Like Jonny said, you generally do not need one if your current setup is working correctly.

Rides
    maybe check for cracked pipes on the feed to the pump inlet if it’s got cracks it may be okay under normal use but might loose pressure at high powers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    by who?
    and for what application?

Like Jonny said, you generally do not need one if your current setup is working correctly.
    a guy that build drift cars and track cars in Lithuania, said they only seem to need them at 400bhp+

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    maybe check for cracked pipes on the feed to the pump inlet if it’s got cracks it may be okay under normal use but might loose pressure at high powers
    That is a good shout. We've seen it before.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Cheapest option first and and inch of pipe is as cheap as it gets lol

Rides
    We're assuming he's running a Walbro in the first place right??

Rides
    Thanks for the replies gents.

Currently running Waldron already yes.

The CA engine is in a Datsun sunny (probably should've specified this) it's running off the original tank which is the way I want to keep it for now as I don't want to put a fuel cell in the boot, I'm trying to keep the center of gravity low.
    The original fuel tank has baffles in it but they're not quite doing what they should be, the pick up is also a little high so that's the other issue.
    I'm looking into extending the pick up short term, I want to cut open the tank and modify it a little long term.

Just want to fit a swirl pot as a bit of a fail safe to save my pistons really.

Will definitely be checking for cracks though as that's a good shout.

Rides
    Walbro*

Rides
    like others have said you won't need a swirl pot setup unless your around the 450hp mark. but to answer your initial question you can keep the in tank pump in the tank as a lift pump then use a high pressure pump (in my case a bosch 044) after the swirl pot to the bay. hope this helps

Rides
    You might be fine up to 400hp with an S13/S14 which has a well designed fuel tank, but I'm assuming datdom here has a B110 or similar...

I use one of these: https://store.034motorsport.com/full...fuel-pump.html

Easy to fit, quieter and takes up less space than having everything separate.

Rides
    I hadn't thought of it being in anything other than a 13. Its a good point.

Rides
    Aye we all assumed s13 haha.

As I previously said there's a million diagrams online. low pressure lift into the swirl, high pressure external to the rail, return back into the swirl, then return back to the tank. Simple. Inline filter is recommended too.

Rides
    hi,
    Well i know the Datsun sunny or the old Datsuns didn't have baffled tanks as well as any form of pump in tank just a sender unit for the gauge. So it would require some sort of external pumps one for the lift of the fuel as long as you fitted a external lift pump which would then fill up the swirl pot or surge tank in terms the outlet from the swirl/surge tank which is connected to a inline High pressure pump and fuel filters the lines should be 8mm. Plus you would then need to sort out a fuel return and a over flow fuel line as well. I will have to take a picture of my set up on a sr20det sunny and post it here. If you need more info pm me. Hope this helps you

Rides
    To be honest it seems like abit of a silly work around for a simple solution.

Just chuck the crappy fuel tank and use a proper fuel cell.