Thread: Foreign Secondments

Rides

Foreign Secondments

Has anyone done a foreign secondment? I’ve been asked to consider a secondment in Hong Kong. Would last for 3 months. Doesn’t seem a long time, but I would be apart from Michelle. With her illness, it hasn’t been easy but it is perfect when it is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I've traveled a lot with work. I'm currently working abroad long-term.

Things to consider.

See if you can get a per diem rather than expenses, especially if you like a drink. You don't need to keep every receipt and you might even make money out of it (depending on what they are willing to pay and how you like to eat/what subsidized canteen etc. they have).
    Ask if its possible to fly your partner out rather than you travelling back. It can make for a great free holiday.
    Don't think that 3 months in a hotel is going to be fun. Living out of a suitcase wears off pretty damn quick.
    If they will put you up in a self-catering, serviced accommodation, think about it. I always prefer it as you can put stuff in the fridge, clean your clothes when you want basically make a little home from home. If you really value having someone else clean for you, you might prefer a hotel.
    Think, and do a bit of research into, the most effective way of changing GBP into HKD and vice versa. The banks will sting you every which way. If your company is covering all that, then its less of an issue but check.
    Factor in a fcuk-off phone bill.
    Bear in mind that it can put a strain of relationships. Sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder. Sometimes it ends up with one or both of you fcuking around. Can you keep your dick in your pants for 3 months ? If not, factor in coming home a coupe of times at least or getting her out to you.

Rides
    If your Mrs. is up for it, go. HK is an amazing place and no doubt it'll improve your CV no end. Plus it's a memory to look back on.

Rides
    Go for it.
    Fly her out a few times for a holiday, from HK you can quickly & easily fly to the rest of South East Asia.

Weekend trip to Tokyo, Thailand or a little Indonesian Island?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Sending guys out to do this all the time (including to HK) Jonny has covered pretty much all of it. Apartments> hotels, visits from the other half make a lot of difference and HK particularly can be very expensive, figure out what they will cover before accepting anything.

If it helps our last guy out there was doing about £2K a month on food and drink and wasnt taking the piss by any means. Also be aware you will get charged in HKD and MOP depending on where you are spending
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    The most I get sent away for is a few weeks at a time, and I am really fed up with hotels after a few nights, as others have said serviced apartments are much much better.

Guess not as important for HK, but make sure you get a car hire allowance as well or some ways to get around.

If there is a way to avoid expenses do so, I need another bag for receipts, but then again it is nice having it all covered, and I've always been allowed very reasonable bills just don't take the pee.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13