Thread: s14a referb

Rides

ongoing questions for s14a rebuild

I started a referb on my s14a about 5 years ago and at that time i did take a load of photos of everything as they came off but unfortunitly lost them when my phone broke. I've grinded away all the rust, treated, painted and under coated. Im now in the process of rebuilding the back end. i know where most things go but will need some help with the few i dont.

Im going to use this thread for all the questions rather than start a load of different threads

Im only getting round to rebuilding the back end of the car and theres a few bolts thqt im not sure what they are for.

I know its hard to make out but its the bolt near the middle of the picture. its just above the small hole.

The bolt is near the bottom of the wheel well on the chassis rails towards the back. its actually just above where the lifting pad on the jack in the background is. Its a 12mm bolt.

Last edited by johnnyhillen; 17-02-2018 at 16:31.

Rides
    pics don't work for me.

Rides
    ill try and load them again

Rides
    I know its hard to make out but its the bolt near the middle of the picture. its just below the small hole.

The bolt is near the bottom of the wheel well on the chassis rails towards the back. its actually just above where the lifting pad on the jack in the background is. Its a 12mm bolt.

Rides
    thats hopefully the pictures showing now. if not let me know because i can see them in the first post and im not sure why no one else can

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Cover for the filler neck?

One on the subframe is for the handbrake cables
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Not sure if this will help or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    The bolt in the arch is too low for the filler pipe guard. Ive circled the bolt in the below pic.

Thanks for the assist with the subframe.

Rides
    Yes the subframe picture does help. Is that yours??

Rides
    on s14's do they have a plastic 'shit shield' to stop crud building up in the rear of the arch by the filler neck? your small bolts may be for that. if not as some one said probably for the filler neck.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhillen View Post
    Yes the subframe picture does help. Is that yours??
    Yeah that's mine mate, will have a look on the car if I can get to it today see if i can see the bolt in the arch.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Just looked and that bolt is 100% for the plastic cover that goes over the fuel filler neck.

Rides
    That's great thanks

That's a crazy colour for your subframe. I got all my suspension powder coated but wasn't brave enough to go for something like that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhillen View Post
    That's great thanks

That's a crazy colour for your subframe. I got all my suspension powder coated but wasn't brave enough to go for something like that.

Had to make it stand out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    ive got a few more questions

im about to put the fuel tank back in and i do not know which pipe goes where or what they do, feed, return, vent etc. Ive marked the picture below if anyone can help.

theres also a long black hose that is on the top near the front of the fuel tank i dont know where it connects to.

Rides
    I also need help with mounting the diff. The front mounts are easy enough but the rear mounts dont seem that secure. From memory and what i can find online the cups that go inside the bushes are open to the rear of the car with the small hole against the diff. as in the picture below (not fully seated). Then the diff is just bolted in. If thats right then the diff isnt particularly secure at the back as the only thing holding it in is the pressure of the cup in the bushing which i can push in by hand. Or does the front mount stopping it from sliding back enough?? Hopefully that makes sense.

Also where the fuel pipes run up the side of the subframe any pictures ive seen they dont seem to be attached to the body of the car and just held together with the white plastic clips. Is this right?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Can’t help with the fuel lines but the bushes only support the rear of the Diff. It’s quite firm when the front mounts are tight. You have the orientation correct

Rides
    thanks. im heading out to mount it into the subframe now

Rides
    Ok, after many hours of googling I've been able to find out about the fuel lines and where they connect to the tank. The following is what I have found for anyone else reading this.

1 - this is a vent pipe for the fuel filler pipe. The smaller pipe that connects to the filler cap
    2 - return from the engine
    3 - feed to the engine
    4 - connects to the rubber hose from the front of the tank
    5 - tank vent that as standard runs to the carbon canister in the engine bay. I don't have it any more so rather than running it to the engine bay I'm going to shorten it and vent to atmosphere and use the standard valve on this line to stop dirt and water getting in and girl getting out