Thread: Head Gaskets!

Rides

Head Gaskets!

genuine nissan or any after market one? and anyone have any links to get a decent head gasket and head gasket full gasket/referb kit?

cheers stu

Rides
    if your getting the faces skimmed then get a cosworth, , if not stay OEM.

that would be my advice.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I have a brand new Oem Sr20det head gasket at home if of interest?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    How much chris?

Rides
    If you're ever going to turn the boost up, upgrade now. Cosworth gaskets are only about £110-£120.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    If you're ever going to turn the boost up, upgrade now. Cosworth gaskets are only about £110-£120.
    Agreed, if you plan on running reasonable power that’s the route I’d go too.

Mine would be £45 posted.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    She is already stage 2a. I will never go more than that as its my daily. :-)

Rides
    Cosworth gasket all the way ����

Rides
    Well i am swaying towards cosworth gasket :-) im am getting someone to sorted it. not something i want to tackle myself. But i will insist on a cosworth gasket :-)

Rides
    Which thickness?

Rides
    Not a clue lol. I will talk to the guy when i take it to him. The current gasket hasnt actually gone so to speak. Just got the commen weap of oil by the timing chain which is getting worse. So at nearly 150k on the clock plus turbo has to be replaced i have decided to get the head done properly, sx is my only car apart from.access to works van thats it so gonna get it sorted before it needs sorting :-)

Rides
    If your replacing it mainly because of the common weep, I'd suggest look at front crank seal first.
    Reason I say this is I thought I had the common weep on my S15 and left it for years, then decided to take a punt and change front crank seal, which turned out to be the real source of the only leak. Just didn't look like it was the source until crank pulley was removed.

Rides
    Cheers will get them to check it out before they go ahead with the head
    Last edited by sxstu; 23-02-2018 at 21:19.

Rides
    Out of interest immy. Were would you see the oil from leaking crank seal? The leak i have is directly below power steering pump

Piman2k - i presume id just go for the thickness of gasket to stock thickness? Like i said i am never going to up the power anymore than 2a, the only thing id like to do (when saved up the pennies! ) is take it to Jez to have it fine tuned, but thats it!

Rides
    Dried up oil all over the front of engine. Damp/wetish with sludge on top of power steering pump bracket.
    My old S14a in my avatar was exactly the same just a bit less gunk, never done anything about it as I assumed it was the common weep but was probably the crank seal too.

Rides
    Front of the end is dry and clear. Can see fresh oil just under power steering pump. And old oil down the side of the block below headgasket line, oil being blown while driving i guess.

Rides
    Front of the end is dry and clear. Can see fresh oil just under power steering pump. And old oil down the side of the block below headgasket line, oil being blown while driving i guess.

Rides
    they all leak out the front, if yours is exceptionally bad then I would be tempted to pop the cams out and tighten the two smaller head bolts at the front. if it was mine then I would just hot jet wash it clean every now and again, only 'fix' it if it was proper gushing out.

the stock headgasket is like 1.1mm thick.

the reason I suggested using an OEM one is that they are a bit more forgiving on not so flat surfaces, whereas its recommended to have both the block and head skimmed for metal head gaskets as they can leak.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    they all leak out the front, if yours is exceptionally bad then I would be tempted to pop the cams out and tighten the two smaller head bolts at the front. if it was mine then I would just hot jet wash it clean every now and again, only 'fix' it if it was proper gushing out.

the stock headgasket is like 1.1mm thick.

the reason I suggested using an OEM one is that they are a bit more forgiving on not so flat surfaces, whereas its recommended to have both the block and head skimmed for metal head gaskets as they can leak.
    Yeah mine had been seeping for 18 years with no issues. Over the years it just started to look unsightly and after all those years it eventually failed the NCT/MOT on "oil leak" last year. So for the first time I sprayed on some degreaser and cold power washered it. Took about 5 minutes tops. Now the engine and power steering pump brackets all look factory fresh. A year later and it is still clean. So I'll probably clean it again in 18 years time! ;-)