Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ca18det cylinder head

Rides

Ca18det cylinder head

Looking for a complete 4 port cylinder head please, preferrable with full intake manifold but not essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1017 View Post
    Looking for a complete 4 port cylinder head please, preferrable with full intake manifold but not essential.

You got a budget in mind?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gaswizards View Post
    You got a budget in mind?

No not really, but nothing overpriced.

Rides
    You are probably looking at at least 150 for something that has been refurbed.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    You are probably looking at at least 150 for something that has been refurbed.

I've been offered one at £300 already. I had to decline

Rides
    Actually I've just seen mospin sold a head very quickly at 250 so maybe my prices are out of date. I sold a refurbed one a couple of years ago for a hundred but that was very cheap even at the time.

Rides
    ...maybe my prices are out of date.
    Way out IMHO Jonny. I thought at the time that Mospin's head was a bargain at that price given his (well deserved) reputation as a straight guy and an honest seller. Provenance as they keep saying on 't Antiques Roadshow donchaknow.

Finding a straight head genuinely ready to use or good to refurbish which hasn't already been skimmed twice and only fit for the bin is now becoming very difficult indeed, if not unicorn poo.

The drifting crowd has overboosted, overheated, blown up and warped most of the heads you may be offered on Fleabay or the other online usual suspects. I don't buy from there any more, as a waste of money. It has taken me buying six heads over the past decade to have my original and two good 'uns on hand ready to refurb in case of need. And those good ones I bought through here. 'Nuff said.

Equally the machining cost of a clean, skim and pressure check at my friendly machine shop down the road is now up to £150 + VAT + cost of any new valves, valve seats or replacement hydraulic lifters required.

Ten years ago I thought £60- 70 was top dollar for a second hand head with cams. Now, buying one on here in unrefurbished condition from a seller of repute and without cams I'd expect to pay not less than £150. I certainly wouldn't sell one of my spares for that unless in case of dire need of funds.

For a refurbished head warranted good straight from the machine shop with a ticket for the work I'd be expecting at least £250 without cams, more likely £300 - £350 and rising every day with every further head that goes bang on circuit.
    Last edited by Rochester; 26-02-2018 at 10:07. Reason: speeling and grammur

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post

Ten years ago I thought £60- 70 was top dollar for a second hand head with cams. Now, buying one on here in unrefurbished condition from a seller of repute and without cams I'd expect to pay not less than £150. I certainly wouldn't sell one of my spares for that unless in case of dire need of funds.

For a refurbished head warranted good straight from the machine shop with a ticket for the work I'd be expecting at least £250 without cams, more likely £300 - £350 and rising every day with every further head that goes bang on circuit.
    I just sold one of mine that had been rebuilt (but I removed the cams prior to sale) for £140 shipped. It's going to good use though, so I'm not mad but I had no idea things have gotten this expensive.

I guess I'll build my bottom end and just reuse the head I have on my running car as I can't see myself paying up in the high £300 range.

Cheers for the info!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1017 View Post
    I just sold one of mine that had been rebuilt (but I removed the cams prior to sale) for £140 shipped. It's going to good use though, so I'm not mad but I had no idea things have gotten this expensive.

I guess I'll build my bottom end and just reuse the head I have on my running car as I can't see myself paying up in the high £300 range.

Cheers for the info!

I have a head without cams for £150 delivered.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gaswizards View Post
    I have a head without cams for £150 delivered.

^^^^ and just when you need a reputable seller up pops Gazwizards, a solid gold seller

Rides
    ^^^^ and just when you need a reputable seller up pops Gazwizards, a solid gold seller

Cheers Jonny

Rides
    You would have to be insane to pay more than 200 for a complete head pmsl people really are being mugged off!!

Get a complete engine with a rattle for 2-250 and a head clean, skim and pressure test i can get for £70 tops

Rides
    Pointz is right, you can get complete engine with bottom end knock for £150

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    You would have to be insane to pay more than 200 for a complete head pmsl people really are being mugged off!!

Get a complete engine with a rattle for 2-250 and a head clean, skim and pressure test i can get for £70 tops
    I thought this, I'm glad I'm not the only one lol. I got my spare ca (which wasnt knocking) with a gearbox for £180 lol

Rides
    Rich, you wouldn't get the parts for a top end rebuild for £70.

Most engineering place will charge about 150 labour to clean, skim, re grind a head and valves plus parts.

So it depends on what you are getting for your money.

300 isn't unreasonable for a good refreshed head with receipts.

At the end of the day, it's worth what someone will pay same as anything else.

Rides
    i have a ca head with valves and cams, but the valves will need replacing and possible skim on the head, i was going to bin it but if you can use it you can have it for free, should also have the rocker covers for it too, located in uxbridge

Rides
    Rich, you wouldn't get the parts for a top end rebuild for £70.

Most engineering place will charge about 150 labour to clean, skim, re grind a head and valves plus parts.

So it depends on what you are getting for your money.

300 isn't unreasonable for a good refreshed head with receipts.

At the end of the day, it's worth what someone will pay same as anything else.

were not talking of a head rebuild? We were stating costs for a skim, clean and pressure test.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Re-read what I posted in context:

"..For a refurbished head warranted good straight from the machine shop with a ticket for the work I'd be expecting at least £250 without cams, more likely £300 - £350 and rising every day with every further head that goes bang on circuit"
    I'm sure you can still pick up a used head with no warranties for £60 - £75 squid, BUT it's unusable until pressure checked, skimmed if necessary - and 99% it will be necessary, if only for peace of mind and to be sure + valve seats re-cut / relapped and rebuild for not less than £150 odd + VAT + the cost of any new valve seats, valves and springs. And that's assuming your tappets are all good or you are up to rebuilding them yourself.

Plus the sad truth is that 50% of your "straight, one old granny former owner and driver" cylinder heads will be a piece of drifted, overheated and irreparable scrap. Buying two to get one decently usable one gets you up to a £120 - £150 starting point before you do anything else.

If I have gone to the trouble of the sourcing, checking, machining etc etc £300 is hardly a mugging. Likely less than it cost + begs the question of my willingness to sell at all.

And no, you can't have your old head* back for what I paid for it

* one of the good ones

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    Re-read what I posted in context:

I'm sure you can still pick up a used head with no warranties for £60 - £75 squid, BUT it's unusable until pressure checked, skimmed if necessary - and 99% it will be necessary, if only for peace of mind and to be sure + valve seats re-cut / relapped and rebuild for not less than £150 odd + VAT + the cost of any new valve seats, valves and springs. And that's assuming your tappets are all good or you are up to rebuilding them yourself.

Plus the sad truth is that 50% of your "straight, one old granny former owner and driver" cylinder heads will be a piece of drifted, overheated and irreparable scrap. Buying two to get one decently usable one gets you up to a £120 - £150 starting point before you do anything else.

If I have gone to the trouble of the sourcing, checking, machining etc etc £300 is hardly a mugging. Likely less than it cost + begs the question of my willingness to sell at all.

And no, you can't have your old head* back for what I paid for it

* one of the good ones
    I wouldnt want it back, you got it for the price you paid because im not overcharging people for parts..........

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Handbags at dawn ladies !

Fact is the price should vary depending on what's been done, the integrity of the head, the integrity of the seller, the car it came off etc.
    I sold a fully rebuilt head with lapped valves, receipts and such for 100 quid three years ago. I probably could get 300 today. A ropey head off a blown engine is probably worth nothing.

Nuff sed.