Thread: Standard crank pulley dampener

Rides

Standard crank pulley dampener

I have removed and cleaned up my engine and thought I would put some pretty pulleys on it just for the look. I have already replaced the crank pulley as you can see in the photo. I know that the standard pulley has a dampener built in but I am wondering about the effect on the engine with removing the dampener.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Lots of people will quote internet horror stories about killing bearings, shearing cranks etc etc. But in reality you'll probably never come across a first hand 'Bad experience'

I would say that the sum of any other performance mods will likely cause premature engine failure far before your crank pulley would!

Rides
    I've always been told not to do it as the standard is there to stop the vibrations from the belt assembly damaging the bearings.

I'd personalty rather fit an ATI damper and have the peace of mind its doing its job properly.

Rides
    I'm also keeping my stock dampener (or upgrade to ATI) for peace of mind. Mind you, mine is gonna be fully built and might go above 8k rpm
    I'm just not willing to take the risk of blowing up my motor for a shiny bit

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hooky View Post
    Lots of people will quote internet horror stories about killing bearings, shearing cranks etc etc. But in reality you'll probably never come across a first hand 'Bad experience'

I would say that the sum of any other performance mods will likely cause premature engine failure far before your crank pulley would!
    I've had experience of several engines in OEM settings failing crank dampers in early development. Nothing drastic has happened interally, but the pulley disintegrating at 6000rpm makes a bloody mess that's for sure.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    I've had experience of several engines in OEM settings failing crank dampers in early development. Nothing drastic has happened interally, but the pulley disintegrating at 6000rpm makes a bloody mess that's for sure.
    I imagine it's quite a spectacular explosion. Have any videos. I have to say your just certainly sounds very interesting.

Just wondering. Are you recommending the standard pulley or the lightened aftermarket pulley.

Rides
    I'd have a standard/aftermarket damped pulley over a simple lightened non-damped pulley any day. There are a lot of vibrations forced through the crankshaft that it helps to smooth out. It isn't just for the engine internals it's for the rest of the drive line as well.

No videos unfortunately, closed shop at work as you might imagine!

Rides
    I think i might out the dampened pulley back on. No point in wrecking the engine or engine bay when I've went to so much work to get it nice.

Although if the engine does die it might be the excuse I need to persuade my wife to let me put a supercharged V8 in the car.

But no I think I'll put the standard one back on after its cleaned up

Anyone know off hand what torque they are tightened to?

Rides
    142-152Nm

Rides
    Thanks