Thread: Repairing fmic piping holes

Rides

Repairing fmic piping holes

The previous owner had installed a fmic cutting holes in what I believe is the usual places to let the piping reach the fmic. Unfortunately over the years the holes have rusted and generally look like crap now. I'm tidying up the engine bay atm and I was thinking of cutting away the old metal and getting some new stuff welded in. Recutting the holes as cleanly as I can. Painting then putting a rubber seal packed with grease around it to make it look neat.

Any thoughts

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    that's basically it.
    cut them out to a nice square shape,
    cut pieces of meatal to the exact size to fill the hole.
    seam weld in place.
    paint in epoxy primer.

be wary of someone offereing to just weld a patch over it as you will get water ingress between the seams.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Could always weld a pipe in and attach the intercooler pipes to each end with couplers if you want it really fancy.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Are you planning to replace the battery tray?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    that's basically it.
    cut them out to a nice square shape,
    cut pieces of meatal to the exact size to fill the hole.
    seam weld in place.
    paint in epoxy primer.

be wary of someone offereing to just weld a patch over it as you will get water ingress between the seams.

my mechanic is actually very good a welding. ive seen his work a number of times on runabout cars i have. He always welds to MOT standards which is cutting out the metal and replacing it flush with the original piece so no over laps. even had an mot examiner comment on how good ir was plus i would be cutting away the rusted bit to a square hole as you say and making up the bit to weld in then bring it to him. He learn't his trade on nissans (or poss datsuns, he's quite old) and when i told him about my car he got all excited and was telling me about a Bluebird ZX he used to have in the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Could always weld a pipe in and attach the intercooler pipes to each end with couplers if you want it really fancy.
    oh. i like the sound of welding in a pipe. i previously had issues with the sharp edges wearing through the metal piping i had in the car so this would resolve that potential issue and reduce further rusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Are you planning to replace the battery tray?
    the previous owner had cut the tray down and used a small racing battery although i had issues if it was left for a few days without use which i think is a common issue for race batteries. This car will now be a second car so that will be an issue if i use a race battery. Im considering either using a small standard type battery on a custom made battery tray or moving the battery to the boot. but im open to suggestions
    Last edited by johnnyhillen; 09-03-2018 at 17:17.

Rides
    stick a decent sized battery in the boot inside one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leisure-B...gAAOSwIwhWS2a7

be sure to add a mega fuse https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURITE-ME...cAAOSwGUBaLY~M with whatever amp rating the big fuse In the engine bay fuse box has.

I like chris's idea of welding swaged edged tubes of the correct diameter into the holes. then using silicone joiners to connect it to your existing intercooler pipes.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    stick a decent sized battery in the boot inside one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leisure-B...gAAOSwIwhWS2a7

be sure to add a mega fuse https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURITE-ME...cAAOSwGUBaLY~M with whatever amp rating the big fuse In the engine bay fuse box has.

I like chris's idea of welding swaged edged tubes of the correct diameter into the holes. then using silicone joiners to connect it to your existing intercooler pipes.
    I assume the swaged edged tube has a buldge at the end to stop the pipe coming off? If so that sounds like a plan

Rides
    I'm a bit dubious on the welded in pipe.
    Anything that attaches the engine to the body that is not the engine mounts is a bit iffy.
    I'd go with a plate welded as described but with a round hole cut in it. Paint it then fit a piece of trim (I wouldn't use grease) all round the hole.
    To me that would be the most professional way. The pipe can then move with engine movement without stressing your silicone joiners.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Welded in pipes mean more silicone joiners, and silicone joiners are ****ing shite, so I wouldn't do that. Also as Jonny said, that will not move with the engine. Just weld in new metal and neatly cut some holes, should only take an afternoon for a competent welder.

Rides
    and get som edecent hard pipes fabbed up to reduce the amount of joiners