Thread: Headlight problems.

Rides

Headlight problems.

On my 200sx s13 ive got a problem with my left headlight, i messed around with it yesterday and got it working with the engine turned off, when i got in it this morning and turned the engine on it stopped working again, i turn the lights on full beam and turn them off and on then both lights work, i then switch back to low beam and it stops working again, turn back on full beam and still not on. Its happened since putting a new heater motor in but ive unplugged that still not working. Changed the bulbs, nothing. Ive seen on some forums it could be a switch on the stalk. I need to get it sorted as soon as possible as i got pulled over the other night.

Rides
    does the stalk get warm when the lights are on? when it plays up try wiggling the twisty end bit of the stalk around, see if it makes the light come on.

the headlamps each have a small loom running from the main loom plugs to the lamp units. I would unplug these and swap the side to side,see if you can move the fault. also check for corroded wiring, corroded plug contacts.

Rides
    Ill see if it gets hot abit later on, and ill let you know. Ill give those ideas a try, thankyou for the ideas. Its frustrating things like this to try and get my head round it

Rides
    Okay ive taken it all apart again ive swapped the two looms over and it still doesnt work. When the engine is off i thought it worked which is does for about 30 seconds then it goes off. Also the stalk doesnt get hot when the lights are on, and ive checked for corrosion and theres nothing. Could it be the battery is to powerful for the electrics in the car as i had to get a new one. Or the actual engine loom?

Rides
    a new battery wont make any difference.

so you say the dipped beam works for a short time on both headlamps, and then the LHS goes off???

I wonder if the timer module is faulty, because the headlamps don't illuminate until the motors are at the top of the travel.

what happens if pop the lights up using the 'valet' headlamp button and then switch the lights on.

the drivers side fusebox in the engine bay, what/how many 'headlamp' fuses are there? I seem to recall 2 for the 'pop up' motors but cant remember about the actual lights.

I don't have any wiring diagrams/an s13 with 'normal' wiring here so can only be so helpful.

Rides
    a new battery wont make any difference.

so you say the dipped beam works for a short time on both headlamps, and then the LHS goes off???

I wonder if the timer module is faulty, because the headlamps don't illuminate until the motors are at the top of the travel.

what happens if pop the lights up using the 'valet' headlamp button and then switch the lights on.

the drivers side fusebox in the engine bay, what/how many 'headlamp' fuses are there? I seem to recall 2 for the 'pop up' motors but cant remember about the actual lights.

I don't have any wiring diagrams/an s13 with 'normal' wiring here so can only be so helpful.

Rides
    Ah okay wasnt sure if it was putting to much power to the electrics. Yes thats correct. I havent tried that yet ill give it ago tomorrow. Ill keep you posted tomorrow afternoon when i get home ill have a look at fuses. I seen some posts on other forums about the actual headlight stalk

Rides
    actually, clean the earths behind the headlamps.

Rides
    Just checked the fuses and they are both good. Okay ill give that a go.

Rides
    I had a similar problem and it was the timer relay in the motor that raises the headlamp. I can have a look and see if I have a spare. I had a pair but used one. I think it was the drivers side I replaced though.

The earth is a thin wire that leads to the top front cross member. Could be worth undoing the screw that secures the earth, cleaning it up, putting down a little vaseline and doing it up again.

Rides
    Ah right okay that would be worth a try then, its strange how it’s happened unless when the battery died and i tried starting it maybe it caused that timer relay to blow or something maybe. The car is a nightmare everything i seem to touch on it turns to crap haha. Opened the bonnet the other day and one of the little brackets for the fan housing has broke some how

Rides
    Remove the stalk switch and inspect the contacts for burning.

Headlamp timer and dim-dip are behind ECU. The wiring is close to the heater fan so you may have disturbed something around there.

Is it lowered? Wiring in nearside arch which has the headlamp timer and dip-dip circuits can chaff though. (Though I think this is mainly due to people not fitting the bump stop rubbers on the shocks or bigger wheels as a lowered car should still have the same wheel position in the arch on max bump.)