Thread: Identifying a leak from the gearbox

Rides

Identifying a leak from the gearbox

I seem to have a gearbox oil leak around a plug on the gearbox. Shown in the image below with a red arrow point to it. I was thinking that's the speed sensor, but I'm not sure if it is. Could it be leaking from here, definitely seems to be a build up of oil here for sure.

What do I need to replace, o-ring, gasket? I didn't want to just take it off and piss out all my gearbox oil.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Rides
    Also interested, mine has a small leak from here too.

Just a note, you have crushed your chassis rail, that is not a safe place to put the feet of a lift on. Those feet should be on the sills, where there is a little notch and much thicker metal.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post

Just a note, you have crushed your chassis rail, that is not a safe place to put the feet of a lift on. Those feet should be on the sills, where there is a little notch and much thicker metal.
    Appreciate the concern but this is a photo from ages ago and at a random garage. It didn't do the chassis rails anymore damage than they had. I personally always lift from the front cross member or rear diff and put axle stands in the reinforced sill areas you mention

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post

Wrong. The chassis rail is a much better option than the sill when using a large pad like that to spread the load area. The jacking points on the sills on any Nissan of this era are only designed to be used with the car's jack which has a groove cut out for the sill to sit down into. Using anything else to lift the car results in the jacking point being crushed, then they start to bend and fold in on themselves which contributes to the need for new sills due to rot. On this car above the chassis rail hasn't been crushed by the lift that's under it. The car has probably bottomed out before since it looks like there's scrapes all down the chassis rails (also a concern which will contribute to the need for chassis rail repairs!).

Rides
    that's not the speed sensor.
    the speed sensor is in the rear gearbox housing and not the front belhousing.

its either the neutral switch or the reverse switch, well maybe as I cant remember whereabouts they sit. both should just be sealed with a copper washer or something like that. if you jack the car up right so the oil sloshes over to the other side then you should be able to remove it without leaking everywhere.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    that's not the speed sensor.
    the speed sensor is in the rear gearbox housing and not the front belhousing.

its either the neutral switch or the reverse switch, well maybe as I cant remember whereabouts they sit. both should just be sealed with a copper washer or something like that. if you jack the car up right so the oil sloshes over to the other side then you should be able to remove it without leaking everywhere.
    Yeah I was thinking to just jack it on one and take it out but thought it'd be useless if I need to replace some specific o ring I won't have, hopefully just a copper washer. I'll have a look on Friday