Thread: Is my turbo gone??

Rides

Is my turbo gone??

Hi my s14 has just started burning oil but only now and then. Tends to be when its left to idle for abit then rev it and a puff comes out? nothing on boost/ cold or overrun.
    Sounds like turbo to me? but i thought id ask before taking it off for refurb. if so its only on 100k and always warmed up and cooled down with 4k servies is that the norm for the t28 to give up?
    Any help is apprecatied. Thanks

Rides
    sounds like valve stem seals to me , its a head off job to fix sorry

Rides
    Also interested to know what people think.

We seem to have a similar issue. Mine would only start pouring out smoke once it's been driven hard-ish, if I stop and idle it would be fine. However, if driven and then turned off, upon start up, whilst the car is still warm, it will start pouring out white smoke. Goes away by the time you manage to pull out of the car park for example.

When it came to changing the oil, I drained far less oil than I should have, however I do currently have a valve cover leak that is also to blame.

Rides
    Wouldn't stem seals be from cold and more of a constant burn rather than every now and then? Only does it when warm from idle with a slight blip of the throttle a puff comes out. Also my plugs are clean.
    Last edited by adzz23; 22-03-2018 at 08:38.

Rides
    anyone else got any other opinions on which it could be?

Rides
    If the turbo is original it's probably past it's best anyway, a rebuild isn't expensive but then an upgrade is always a good idea.

If it still smokes after then maybe it is stem seals, you could always pull the spark plugs to see if there is any fouling on them.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    If the turbo is original it's probably past it's best anyway, a rebuild isn't expensive but then an upgrade is always a good idea.

If it still smokes after then maybe it is stem seals, you could always pull the spark plugs to see if there is any fouling on them.
    thats what im thinking. checked plugs they are all good

Rides
    I'd do a compression test before starting to spend money on a hit-and-hope basis.